Open Response to a PM Regarding "Cheaters on Goon Haven"

124»

Comments

• I dont know if this is a cheat or not, but in either case it seems odd. There was a guy that was running around with no enemy or freindly triagular icon over his head. He started shooting me after everyone was through playing and the map was about over. I dont know when this would have come out as a cheat....other than making a player think twice about shooting him, thats all it does. Then angain, any player whos played a while along with noobs would just gun him down anyway.....as I did..........AHAAHAHHAHAHAH!
    I have seen something like this before I was fighting somebody with no iff and thought he must be wearing a sensor jammer but it was a long fight and we had been fighting for awhile finally I ran out of spinfuser disks and grenades I was in meduim and he was in light but not once did his iff show back up.I thought that kind of odd I would have thought he would have at least ran out of energy at some point or ammo.So I watched him in observer right after I was killed and he was wearing an ammo pack as a light I just found that kinda strange.
  • [me=teratos]facepalms[/me]
  • sorry I retract the above comments it was all just a bad dream. think happy thoughts.
  • Your IFF never shows up, even if the sensor jammer pack isn't activated. It will show up if not activated and you come into range of a motion sensor, though.
  • Your IFF never shows up, even if the sensor jammer pack isn't activated. It will show up if not activated and you come into range of a motion sensor, though.
    Correcting this would be very counter-productive to my Goon Haven fun factor, so I'll just make this ambiguous statement.
  • All these years and the SJ & Cloak are still a mystery to the majority of players.
  • There were motion sensors in place.I had put them up myself unless someone had destroyed them.I am not accusing anyone of cheating just trying to relate that I have seen something like that before.To say you havent seen any crazy shit in this game to me means you havent played this game long enough.Hell I still see people place targeting beacons down instead of regular beacons all the time.
    That really is a strange statement.
  • edited March 2009
    an sj with zero energy is sometimes red. Same with if you have an SJ and they have an SJ and you turn yours on. Sometimes it will make them go red.
    That really is a strange statement.
    Yeah... hehe... wonder what I was thinking when I posted that.

When you wear a sensor jammer, you are (usually) passively jammed always (depending on the mod). This jam has the same effects as a cloak pack. When the pack is enabled, you get the full jamming effects.
  • To be a bit more accurate:

Motion sensors will detect cloakers while deployable cameras will detect sensor jammers. The active sensor jammer mode will jam enemy pulse sensors within a short radius and de-cloak enemies. The active SJ does not have many practical applications because of the fast energy drain, but passively it's used effectively by light offense to clear enemy turret farms and to return flags during standoffs.
  • edited March 2009
    holy shit. I can't believe what I'm hearing from so many "seasoned" players.

Sensor Jammer: When not activated, this pack does nothing. When activated, it projects a field of approximately 30 meters radius and hids ALL players within the field from all MECAHNICAL observation (cameras, pulse and motion sensors). Therefore, turrets will NOT fire at a jammed person, though other players can still see the pack user. NOTE: IFF colored triangles will not appear for anyone in the sensor-jamming radius, so be careful!

This excerpt is directly from the Tribes 2 manual. Does this describe how the Sensor Jammer Pack works in classic(as well as base) or not, because there are ton of statements that contradict the statement above.
  • I'm sure some of the confusion stems from the patches which "fixed" things that weren't working like they are supposed to work.
  • The active sensor jammer mode will jam enemy pulse sensors within a short radius and de-cloak enemies.
    Shhh... that's a secret. ;)
  • Even in Base, some of the information in the manual is completely wrong. This is something that most players learn within days of playing the game for the first time. The Tribes 2 manual is definitely not the place to look for technical information regarding anything in Tribes 2 gameplay. Red Shifter wrote up an accurate explanation of sensor jammer effects.
  • holy shit. I can't believe what I'm hearing from so many "seasoned" players.

Sensor Jammer: When not activated, this pack does nothing. When activated, it projects a field of approximately 30 meters radius and hids ALL players within the field from all MECAHNICAL observation (cameras, pulse and motion sensors). Therefore, turrets will NOT fire at a jammed person, though other players can still see the pack user. NOTE: IFF colored triangles will not appear for anyone in the sensor-jamming radius, so be careful!

This excerpt is directly from the Tribes 2 manual. Does this describe how the Sensor Jammer Pack works in classic(as well as base) or not, because there are ton of statements that contradict the statement above.

It most certainly does do something when passive, at least in classic, and what it does is its most useful application. I forget whether or not this was the case in base it's been too long.
  • The active SJ does not have many practical applications because of the fast energy drain, but passively it's used effectively by light offense to clear enemy turret farms and to return flags during standoffs.
    I think a lot of people underestimate the power of the sensor jammer. I use it especially when base-raping, because I can usually slip in without getting hit with all the annoying spider clamp turrets, take out the generators, and hide in a dark spot and camp. There are times when it's been more effective than a cloak pack, since it's sound doesn't set off a lot of people like the cloak pack does.

On Broadside, it's VERY useful for taking the flag out of the base and passing it on to a light w/ energy pack.
  • I was speaking more from a competition standpoint but I have no doubt that the sensor jammer is even more effective on pubs, especially larger ones with lots of people in which a team's defense is mostly dependent on turrets.
  • holy shit. I can't believe what I'm hearing from so many "seasoned" players.

It most certainly does do something when passive, at least in classic, and what it does is its most useful application. I forget whether or not this was the case in base it's been too long.

In Classic and v2 the non activated SJ will benefit the player wearing the SJ, when activated it benefits others in the projected radius of the SJ field.
  • The base version of the pack only has an active effect of 30 meter jamming.

The classic version of the pack has a passive active effect of 0 meter jamming (just the player wearing it), and has a 30 meter jamming field when active.

I just checked the code for both.
  • The base version of the pack only has an active effect of 30 meter jamming.

The classic version of the pack has a passive active effect of 0 meter jamming (just the player wearing it), and has a 30 meter jamming field when active.

I just checked the code for both.

Thank you Thyth for clearing that up.