Unhandled Exception c0000005

13»

Comments

• [quote author=TheOracle[xXx] link=topic=81.msg2998#msg2998 date=1232638074]
    The rubyintersect.dll problem unfortunately is related to Tribesnext, we've got to wait for the guys to update it.
    [/quote]

That's the thing, rubyintersect.dll installs fine for me. I'm getting the UEc0000005 error, and the patch is causing it and I don't even know how that's possible.
  • Rubyintersect.dll is causing it I think. Not sure how though.
  • The Ruby interpreter runs across a process boundary. A crash in that process will just disable the Ruby interpreter until the game is reinitialized.

There are machine code modifications made to the game, but those are performed by the apotheosis DLL (t2dll.dll).

In any case, as soon as I get a solution to the lingering process issue, we'll be releasing an RC2 which keeps the on-disk copy of Tribes2.exe identical to the original and performs the machine code modifications on the in-memory copy on load.

An unhandled exception really is a catch-all for failures that happen in the game native code.

I've also looked at the game for any remnants of SecuROM. Looks like it was all removed as of the 25026 patch version released by GarageGames.
  • G'd day, I'm new to this form, and not much of a writer. I have been reading this thread and would like to impart a situation that I found myself in. It may have some relevance to what is in the thread. First of all I am running Windows XP Pro SP2, with an ATI 4850 graphics card on my machine. Ok, ok, it is an old machine but it does what I need it to do. I have noted a few of these comments pertain to the XP setup. Most of the comments are about Vista. I can’t relate to that setup but for those that have XP, perhaps this will be of interest. I have been happily playing T2 before and after installing the TribesNext solution, and appreciate the efforts of all involved to keep this game alive. This is a humongous task kudos are the least I can mention here. I recently updated the ATI drivers for the card I use, from v8.9 to v8.12. I have spent a day and a half now, in a panic, because I couldn’t play T2. The game wouldn’t even load. All I got was the Ue c0000005 error. After sweeping up the pile of hair from around my chair and desk I removed the ATI driver v 8.12 and installed v8.9. “Holy crap”, I’m back in the game! I realize this is not much but it may help the computer guru types. I hope so, and thanks again for your efforts.
  • The Ruby interpreter runs across a process boundary. A crash in that process will just disable the Ruby interpreter until the game is reinitialized.

There are machine code modifications made to the game, but those are performed by the apotheosis DLL (t2dll.dll).

In any case, as soon as I get a solution to the lingering process issue, we'll be releasing an RC2 which keeps the on-disk copy of Tribes2.exe identical to the original and performs the machine code modifications on the in-memory copy on load.

I have to admit, I'm not sure what you're talking about or how it relates to eventually making my Tribes2 function properly.

I have to admit, I'm not sure what you're talking about or how it relates to eventually making my Tribes2 function properly.

Basically the UE means something died, without being all too helpful in specifying what died.
    Like we've covered in the thread so far, it could be caused by graphics, Alt-Tab under Vista (including minimizing, basically taking focus at all), engine panics, multi-core (or hyperthreaded) processors, networking, mismatched scripts and compiled scripts, and probably a swath of other possibilities.
    What Thyth is saying is that they're working on what they can for the next Release Candidate, which from what I can tell, won't patch the actual game exe but have all the necessary modifications done by a separate resource file.

How'd I do?
  • Heh, that was a really good description. Well done. Anyway, yea.. I remember UE's from when I last played T2, but that was a long while back on a Ti4200. The issue for me was always drivers and I would have to revert back to old ones. I'm trying to do the same and get the Catalyst 8.9 drivers rather than using my 9.1s. I reformatted recently and can't roll-back the driver since I started with the 9.1s.

To clarify, I'm now using an Ati 1650 Pro. Nothing top of the line (by far), but should be working just fine if I can run more current games.
  • No idea why this works, but try this. I do this when I get the UE (The screen goes grey, says "hardware failed to switch modes" or something, then UE)

Go into Control panel, personalize (display if XP), then change the color quality. If you are on 16, change to 32. If you are on 32, change to 16.

This works for me, although it doesn't solve the problem per se, it at least allows me to play T2.

Basically the UE means something died, without being all too helpful in specifying what died.
    Like we've covered in the thread so far, it could be caused by graphics, Alt-Tab under Vista (including minimizing, basically taking focus at all), engine panics, multi-core (or hyperthreaded) processors, networking, mismatched scripts and compiled scripts, and probably a swath of other possibilities.
    What Thyth is saying is that they're working on what they can for the next Release Candidate, which from what I can tell, won't patch the actual game exe but have all the necessary modifications done by a separate resource file.

How'd I do?

That makes more sense. Not the best news, certainly. I guess now begins the wait for the next patch.
  • No idea why this works, but try this. I do this when I get the UE (The screen goes grey, says "hardware failed to switch modes" or something, then UE)

Go into Control panel, personalize (display if XP), then change the color quality. If you are on 16, change to 32. If you are on 32, change to 16.

This works for me, although it doesn't solve the problem per se, it at least allows me to play T2.
    Alternatively: find the relevant line in clientPrefs.cs and change it from 16 to 32 (hint: the content will be along the lines of "800 600 16").

Alternatively: find the relevant line in clientPrefs.cs and change it from 16 to 32 (hint: the content will be along the lines of "800 600 16").

Sadly none of this helps if we're getting this UE before the game even fires up.
  • I am positive that if the ue isn't caused by a poorly selected game setting, it is caused by vid card drivers.
  • I am positive that if the ue isn't caused by a poorly selected game setting, it is caused by vid card drivers.

That doesn't make any sense. If I can play the game without the multiplayer patch my video card drivers must be fine, right? The patch doesn't change the graphics in any way, does it?
  • Not that I know of.
  • and how can we fix the problem?
  • If it is indeed caused by next, I am sure thyth is going to fix it. If it is system dependant, meaning certain system configs; parts, drivers, whatnot, it may be a bit too encompassing to try and cover every possible combination of hardware with a patch. Has anyone who suffers from this ue stuff tried running older drivers for their vid card?
  • i am using winXP service pack 3. I dont know what the problem is. The game is not starting

(sorry for bad english)
  • Think it's been said before; install t2 and get it running and your prefs set before you install the patch.
  • i think this is the biggest problem i have. i dont know what the problem is.

My Grafficcard has the old configurations. I think the problem is on Service Pack 3 -.- but i dont know
  • For those of you who are getting the unhandled exception right when you start up, try going into control panel, selecting your video card, and searching for driver updates. That's what I did, at least, and it solved the problem for me. ( I run Vista with an ATI Mobility Radeon X1400)
  • Ok i have fixxed the problem in my PC. i have received the same problem ''Unhandled Exception c0000005'' i have updated my Videocard to the actuall drivers, restarted my PC and then it worked.

Update the Videocard! for fix the problem
  • I have the latest drivers for my video card. I used to have the old drivers for my video card. It's not a problem with the video card because I can get vanilla tribes to work.

Stop suggesting getting new drivers for the video card. We've been there. We've done that. We know. You're not helping.
  • And still no solution to my problem, which is the game crashing whenever I try to join a multiplayer game. It can do all the singleplayer crap fine and I can host LAN stuff with bots, but for some reason the game seems determined to prevent me from playing with other people.
  • Solution: Wait until they fix the patch.
  • edited June 2009
    I have tried many of the suggestions here and this is what finally did it for me. Seriously, i was having the exact same issues. Go into C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\base\prefs\ClientPrefs. Change $pref::Video::resolution = "800 600 32" to $pref::Video::resolution = "800 600 16". This was all i need to do to stop mine from saying "Failed to switch... blah blah blah". Hopefully this helps. I have a bunch of mods and scripts as well so maybe those helped? I dunno... but definitely try this!

Edit: Also! Be sure that your target in tribes online preferences is C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\Tribes2.exe -online username password. Replace username with your username and password with your password. To get to properties, right click on the tribes online icon in your program files.
  • For those getting the exception error using ATI drivers, try disabling Catalyst A.I. in the CCC panel. Worked for me.