Wargrounds Servers (CTF/Duel/RaceMod/Havoc/HM)

edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Hello,

First of all thanks to TN for keeping Tribes 2 alive -- I reinstalled the game after reading about TN on Tribalwar. Have to say, it's great to be back after a 2 year hiatus from the game. Less people -- some familiar faces, but the same damn fun game that kept me through all of High School and the beginning of Uni.

To help keep the Tribes 2 community alive I've begun running 2 dedicated servers:

1) Wargrounds CTF / 64 (8 Bots) Player / Mod: War2003 (standard map rotation for now)
2) Wargrounds Classic Duel / 24 (1 Bot for Target Practice) Player / Mod: Classic w/ Duel Mod (1 on 1 combat)

War2003 is one of those over-the-top, lots of flashy effects/weapons type mods that generally gets pretty messy (in a good way) with over 16 players. Quite a bit of fun.

Classic Duel is one of my all time favorite mods, nothing like settling down for some 1 on 1 combat against other players and comparing (without interference) who is #1 :) (TWL used to have a ladder too, shame it's not around anymore).

Hopefully some of you will drop by and try the servers out -- I'd like to get some pickup games going but I'll look around and try to organize something that won't conflict with BONES/Tac/etc pickups.

Server is dedicated, 24/7, 8-way Quadcore Opteron's @ 2.1Ghz, 64GB FB-DIMM, 10k SCSI array, and dedicated 1Gbit (GigE) fiber located in CENTRAL USA to keep pings balanced between West Coast / East Coast.

I've got some spare resources on the server ... so if the forums join together and decided on a server mod/game type they *must* have then I dont' see any problems obliging the wishes of the community -- not a lot of us left, so it's better to try and make the best of what we've got.

Comments

• Apologies for the double-post/bump.

I have added a third server that is running RaceMod (Wargrounds Raceway 12 Players). This server only rotates RaceMod maps and does not have any other mods available.

I invite you to give RaceMod a try, it's a very fun mod particularly with 4-5 players all vying to beat the record lap times.

It REQUIRES a client-side map-pack available at the below URL's:

Link:
    http://tribes.m-parsons.com/mods/MOD - RaceMOD/RaceMod_MapsV7.5.vl2 (thanks to teratos)

Mirror: http://www.jasio.net/index.php?categoryid=3&p13_sectionid=3&p13_fileid=7

• Might want to say your server is in Central USA... I thought you were based in Nicaragua or something when you said that :D

Nice server specs, I'm running Goon Haven off of actual (owned) server hardware too (though not quite as intense as yours... only running Tribes, TF2, Left4Dead, and a few other game servers). Do you run anything other than Tribes?
  • Stopped in the racemod server last night ;) Was fun though I suck all over again .. lol. Nice to see you updated the RaceGame.cs for the map link ;)

/MeBaD
  • It'd be cool to shack up with some dudes who want to have some semi serious races again. I played on a temp racemod server with about 8 to 10 people not too long ago and we had a blast doing team races on some of the crazier maps.
  • edited May 2009
    Might want to say your server is in Central USA... I thought you were based in Nicaragua or something when you said that :D

Nice server specs, I'm running Goon Haven off of actual (owned) server hardware too (though not quite as intense as yours... only running Tribes, TF2, Left4Dead, and a few other game servers). Do you run anything other than Tribes?

Thanks for the compliments :) And yes, I meant to suggest that the server is located in Central USA -- not Central America, though I'd be quite a feat to get such low pings from Nicaragua :P I've edited my original post to reflect that, thanks!

The server is definitely not just running three instances of Tribes 2. The Tribes 2 servers are running within a virtual instance of Windows 2003 Enterprise -- the server itself runs a number of other applications; databases and mirrors some of my content from other servers. The base server OS is Linux, it doesn't really make much sense to just run a single OS on such a box -- the way Apache/MySQL/PHP etc. have developed, in particular with a good caching server, you don't need enormous processing power. So a single 'uber' box can run a dozen different VM's dedicated to particular roles. It simplifies management and removes any accidental software conflicts. The Tribes 2 VM has only 1 of the processors delegated to it.

As far as Goon Haven goes... the name seemed familiar (the Goon part). I suspected it might be related to the SomethingAwful community and that proved correct. I'm mentioning this because I used to play a lot of EVE Online (had to stop due to semester) and our alliance (Mercenary Coalition) interacted quite a bit with Goonswarm/Goonfleet -- good times.
    Stopped in the racemod server last night Wink Was fun though I suck all over again .. lol. Nice to see you updated the RaceGame.cs for the map link.
    /MeBaD

Heya MeBaD -- great to see that you're still around and kicking. I plan to keep the server up 24/7 so if you plan on making any maps or improvements in RaceMod I'd be happy to implement the changes. Tribes 2 was always well known for having *many* mods and I've noticed that few of them are now available to the public. I've been trying to get in contact with Founder to get the .cs files for Mechina (the .cs.dso's UE) but no such luck.
    It'd be cool to shack up with some dudes who want to have some semi serious races again. I played on a temp racemod server with about 8 to 10 people not too long ago and we had a blast doing team races on some of the crazier maps.

Sounds like a plan to me :) I'd be happy to accommodate a RaceMod event, or a more regular weekly event... like a "TribesNext 500" series.
  • I'm running ESXi on my boxes... so yeah, very familiar with the virtualization technology. I'm pretty much addicted to it.
  • Ahh I love racemod. If there is a game night I'll be there.

Thanks for bringing this back from the dead ;D
  • A fourth Havoc 2 server has now been added.

• It'd be cool to shack up with some dudes
    I stopped reading right there.. Got scared...
  • edited May 2009
    Fifth server (Wargrounds Heavy Medal) added -- most servers now run about 30 server-side maps w/ full bot support to avoid any odd maps that might boot the bots.

Put fourth and fifth server on a different processor to spread load evenly.

War2003 server updated with War2009 build.

I'm going to be looking into organizing some sort of pick-up in the near future. Not sure which mod to choose yet.