New In-Game IRC Client

edited September 2009 in General Discussion
As some of you may know, I've been working on a new in-game chat client, and have decided to make it available for open testing to iron out any remaining bugs.
  • Download the client file
  • Drop the .vl2 file in your base folder
  • Enjoy

Comments

• been waitin on this. thx.
  • I'll test it right now.
  • Well I can talk and the server responds with it's own message so I think it works. Adios Amigos!

Dayuppy
  • Works for me from what I've seen.
  • Works THX! :P
  • GREAT ;D and if you did it ::) will work fine. I know these things take a lot of time and I thank you much. :) If I may ask you a question, are you working on the Browser functions, mainly the ability to create Tribes? ::)
    Thanks
  • great job and thanks guys for the support.... Tribes2 lives again!!!!! 8)
  • how do u download the client i just saved it and put it in the base folder
  • Congratulations, you just downloaded it. You can use it by going in-game and going to the "Chat" tab.
  • gip!

thats not a vl2!
  • Cool submission! Thanks for taking the time!
  • ha! Thanks to Thyth he referred me from irc. Thanks to Turkeh for the work.
  • Is it still active?
  • good job
  • Yes, it still works. Thanks Turkeh!! Long Live Tribes 2!
  • edited December 2013
    lol Helpful little fellas aren't they...

I'm banned from the IRC network, I got some message that I couldn't read fast enough and got banned. Said something about being in the wrong place and that server had nothing to do with Tribes 2, arloriaNET ?

I could host an IRC server for Tribes 2 I suppose if one is required, where we don't get banned lol
  • We have actually moved to the Tribalwar IRC server (irc.tribalwar.com/#tribesnext)
    I'm just too lazy to update the client with the new server details.
  • Is dis a tribes 2 ue fix??
  • HAHA no. It's Internet Relay Chat. IRC. Look it up. :)

-rJay
  • I try it too, it works fine . I like it .
  • I looked at the chat.gui and changed it there to irc.tribalwar.com with same port 6667 and then recompiled the .vl2 and I get cannot connect no response message...

Though, if I cancel the connect to the current configured irc in game and it opens the GUI to change it, it does work when changed manually there.

Is there another instance of the irc server that needs to be changed, and/or another modification.

8)
  • i don't even use the irc ingame i use hexchat
  • i don't even use the irc ingame i use hexchat

right on, I just wanted to update the script for everyone, as I do not use it either, though thought some others may find it of use, at some point..
  • The only code change required would be in scripts\ChatGui.cs
    $IRC::Server = "irc.tribalwar.com";

Recompile the .cs to a .cs.dso from within T2
    compile("scripts/ChatGui.cs");

Package the updated .cs and .dso in the .vl2 file

To ensure the new value is picked up you would need to remove the existing entry in your prefs/ClientPrefs.cs
    $pref::IRC::Server = "";

You could also add code to automatically overwrite the old server value on initial install of the updated version.
  • The only code change required would be in scripts\ChatGui.cs
    $IRC::Server = "irc.tribalwar.com";

Recompile the .cs to a .cs.dso from within T2
    compile("scripts/ChatGui.cs");

Package the updated .cs and .dso in the .vl2 file

To ensure the new value is picked up you would need to remove the existing entry in your prefs/ClientPrefs.cs
    $pref::IRC::Server = "";

You could also add code to automatically overwrite the old server value on initial install of the updated version.

thanks, that is what I did, I thought and thought would be simple as pie, though for some reason did not work...will try again and see if can get it, as I was thinking it was irc.tribalwar.com as I wondering about how that authentication login worked on the previous irc server, as they are quick to boot now
  • TribalWar shut down their IRC server yesterday (without giving anyone a heads up).

I've created a new #tribesnext channel on QuakeNet (irc.quakenet.org) to replace the one on TribalWar.

irc://irc.quakenet.org/tribesnext
  • roger that
  • What irc can we use now, as in the "shape of things to come thread" there seems to be an issue with that server or maybe is client side bug in the hack, though not seeing a tribesnext channel.
  • TribalWar shut down their IRC server yesterday (without giving anyone a heads up).

I've created a new #tribesnext channel on QuakeNet (irc.quakenet.org) to replace the one on TribalWar.

irc://irc.quakenet.org/tribesnext

ok, irc channel is online, though in game using the vl2 getting ue, so going to revert back to the github version and modify and see if it works