Is it Possible to Update the Tribes Graphics?

well of course i love the graphics but they are falling behind none the less... so i am wondering if its possible to assemble a team or something to increase the graphics on this game or make new maps to give tribes next an egde.

although this would be a huge project and ill probably get flamed for asking. Is it Possible? and if so is anyone will to do it?

Comments

• Just from a quick search...
    http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=940.0
    http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=669.0

Yes it's possible, but you need a graphics artist for the model tweaks (for polys) and perhaps some skin enhancements(?)
  • even just retexturing everything would take you months, youd need a lot of motivation and dedication.

i have improved the particles, perhaps you like it: http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=1402.0
  • No one is going to do the texture, and stuff. We all are just extreamly lazy, I am included in this. So let's just enjoy it the way it is.
  • Well, coming from t1, t2 grafix are splendid in comparison.
  • 1- I Could do The 3D Modeling - I am very good with the program

2- I Can Do Some decent artwork and know many friends who can create crazy graphics at my needs.

3- I would need a team for scripting/coding/ more graphics/modelers

4- if it happened it would be the best mod of the game ever
  • Trust me when I tell you you don't want to attempt to do this kind of project.
  • If you improved the models, nobody would bother downloading it. If you improved the textures, nobody would bother downloading it. If you made 50 maps that had new terrain and buildings, nobody would bother downloading it.

However, if you spliced together 100 movie quotes and put them into a voice pack, you would be world famous among Tribes 2 players.
  • If you improved the models, nobody would bother downloading it. If you improved the textures, nobody would bother downloading it. If you made 50 maps that had new terrain and buildings, nobody would bother downloading it.

Pretty much.... there's hundreds of client side maps out there, many of them are pretty amazing. But it boils down to thousands of hours wasted by many mappers on things that never even got a chance to be played. There simply isn't a large enough player base willing to download those client-side files in order play when they can all run around on goon haven and shoot each other instead.

I remember back when base was popular and had 60+ man servers full at all times of the day... there were some efforts put into making "client side map nights". However, even with the larger player base not much happened.
  • I still like the way Tribes 2 looks, and I've got an absolute hoss of a system. If it looked different/better, it wouldn't be the same.
  • I still like the way Tribes 2 looks, and I've got an absolute hoss of a system. If it looked different/better, it wouldn't be the same.

And on the flip side, I have an incredibly lame system that gets 70fps at best now, so I wouldn't be DLing it either. It's a great thought though. I've pretty much decided that to create a better game at all, it would need to be exactly the same game with better graphics.