MacBook Pro audio troubles

Hi!

I recently bought a new 13" MacBook pro and installed Windows Xp sp3 via bootcamp (mostly to play T2 ;)). Tribes 2 works fine except for one problem - the audio. Here's what happens: some sound effects often don't play at all, play only part way, or are clearly not the right volume for the distance they are occurring from me. This happens with sounds like explosions or weapon projectile sounds (the hiss of a disk going by, for example), as well as sounds originating from my character (the arming of a weapon, the click of the grenade launcher firing sequence). However, I have not noticed a problem with other sounds, like cc sound effects or the base hum sound effect.

There seems to be issues with the current bootcamp audio drivers, but most of them are system volume-related, and fairly extensive searching has not turned up anyone with a problem like this. So far I haven't noticed any newer games that have this problem. However, some other older ones I play (Morrowind, for example), seem to have related issues.

I know this isn't the Apple support forum, but does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Make sure you're running the game in Miles Fast 2D Positional Audio mode, and that your Windows speaker configuration is correct.

Apple has (likely intentionally) released very poor Windows drivers for their hardware.
  • Miles Fast 2D Positional Audio mode is the only one available, and my speaker configuration is right as far as I can tell. I guess I'll just have to hope Apple releases better drivers eventually. *Sigh*