New player? Just forgot how to play? Read.

This is going to be my pathetic attempt to fill newbies and people who simply forgot how to play in on what they are missing. This is probably one of the more complex multiplayer games ever to be released. So on we go....

First thing I'm going to say is go into the settings and set up your keys. You need to be familiar with your controls and the best way to do that is to set them up yourself. Some keys of importance(just from the top of my head):

Fire(duh)
jumpjet(I suggest this and fire be on your mouse)
ski(this is defaulted to space and should be fine)
use pack(its not very easy to reach p in a firefight)
use healthpack(VERY important and a lot of you never use em)
zoom
adjust zoom level
throw grenade
throw mine
weapon slots(I don't like the default binds here. So you might want to look em over. I much prefer setting it up so 1-6= my weapon slots vs 1=blaster)
global chat(defaulted to t)
team chat(defaulted to y)

Those are just the basic keys you are going to need though. There are MANY more that you should explore the settings and find. On to movement...

The first thing you need to learn about moving in this game is you really shouldn't be walking as much as you do. You can ski. This is a VERY important skill and with practice you can ski off the slightest bumps on the map. The key here is you use your jets to come up and come down on any downward slope while holding your ski button(space) and thus you keep your speed. Jet as you are going up an upward slope and let it launch ya off and repeat till ya need to stop. Practice this skill it is vital. Best way to practice is to randomly ski around and try to keep it going.

Firing your weapons....Well I could speak awhile about this, but I will keep it short and simple. The key to aiming is this game is leading your target. It gets tricky though as you have to judge both yours and their movement when leading. Just keep practicing and it comes to ya.

I was going to add a little more about what to do during a map, but this has gone on long enough for right now if this gets any sort of response I might continue it or let others do it.... Yeah yeah I'm lazy.

Comments

• edited January 2009
    Lol we'll see about that. I dunno how well this is going to work, but that game I just got out of was FRUSTRATING.
  • Tip for noobs

Don't try to be the hero and fly into the enemy base or even engage the incoming juggernauts right away. You will be destroyed. Remember that there's no shame in staying behind to guard the gens or the flag, plant turrets, mines, or deploy sensors. Some people have a knack for capping the flag at 300kph, and some don't. Every job on the battlefield is equally important, even the less heroic ones.

You probably won't be able to stop the guy with the scout armor and the energy pack as he blasts through and takes off with your flag. But with a proper defense you can stop his buddies from raping your base.
  • My site should be back up now. Edit away!
  • [quote author=TheOracle[xXx] link=topic=167.msg1462#msg1462 date=1231529996]
    Tip for noobs

Don't try to be the hero and fly into the enemy base or even engage the incoming juggernauts right away. You will be destroyed. Remember that there's no shame in staying behind to guard the gens or the flag, plant turrets, mines, or deploy sensors. Some people have a knack for capping the flag at 300kph, and some don't. Every job on the battlefield is equally important, even the less heroic ones.

You probably won't be able to stop the guy with the scout armor and the energy pack as he blasts through and takes off with your flag. But with a proper defense you can stop his buddies from raping your base.
    [/quote]

You sound like you have some decent strategies and a good amount of in game experience. You should post some of your favorite strategies in the Game Winning Strategies topic, we would all probably learn something : )
  • Lol now it's my turn to detract on your post (swear its not personal).

You say it's gone on long enough but honestly that's not nearly enough. This topic is a great idea but that's a dick tease right there for new players (nobody who quit has forgotten how to play the game unless they are retarded). Besides the helpful mention of the importance of skiing, everything else is implied by playing a video game.

Why don't some folks get organized and tackle a more comprehensive new player guide? We've been doing this for years now it shouldn't be that difficult.
  • Lol now it's my turn to detract on your post (swear its not personal).

You say it's gone on long enough but honestly that's not nearly enough. This topic is a great idea but that's a dick tease right there for new players (nobody who quit has forgotten how to play the game unless they are retarded). Besides the helpful mention of the importance of skiing, everything else is implied by playing a video game.

Why don't some folks get organized and tackle a more comprehensive new player guide? We've been doing this for years now it shouldn't be that difficult.

I'm aware its short, but theres a number of reasons I left it so...

1. It was late....
    2. I started writing in a frustrated state.
    3. To truely elaborate on need to know stuff would of taken a lot more time then that introduction.
    4. I'm looking at this wiki right now.
  • Is someone seriously spamming the wiki with garbage? That's pretty depressing and funny at the same time.
  • Is that why a few of the pages have gibberish websites on them? Was wondering about that. Anyway I'm in the process of adding very rough basic tactics in the game introduction area.
  • Yeah I removed them. If you're registered, I'll make you a sysop.
  • Alright I went ahead and registered.
  • By the way if anyone has any gameplay questions and want their ear talked off they can hit me up in pm or something. Most vets are well versed in all gameplay roles even if they didn't play them.
  • [quote author=TheOracle[xXx] link=topic=167.msg1462#msg1462 date=1231529996]
    Tip for noobs

You sound like you have some decent strategies and a good amount of in game experience. You should post some of your favorite strategies in the Game Winning Strategies topic, we would all probably learn something : )
    [/quote]

Honestly a lot of it is common sense. Everybody that plays the game for the first time is immediately going to want to jump in a shrike and pretend to be maverick from top gun. The sad truth is that these are the people for whom base turrets were created.

You are always going to have first time players, the trick is giving them something useful to do.