constant freezing mid game

After joining a game my game keeps freezing. The freezes aren't too long (they vary between two and six seconds), when this happens 2 to three times a minute its pretty crippling. I have an Nvidia 8800 GTS and an intel 2.13ghz dual core cpu. I've already tried right clicking on the tribes.exe file and setting the affinity to CPU 0, but that didn't fix the issue, so I'm sort of at a loss. I have also upgraded all of my drivers and made sure direct X was installed.

Comments

• Run the game in Open GL. Then run it in Direct X. See what changes.
  • how do I run the game in direct X as oppossed to openGL, or vice versa?
  • Go to "settings" on the launch tab in the lower left-hand corner and look for "Video". The setting should be plain in sight.
  • I was afraid you would say that, because the only option I have there is openGL.
  • This is an unlikely culprit, but I connect to the internet through a Linksys four port wireless-g router and sometimes (usually around twice a week) I experience some pretty bad internet stutter that causes freezing almost exactly like what you describe. This happens to all computers connected to the router, regardless of whether they are using a wired or wireless connection. The only remedy I've found is to unplug the router for about 10 seconds to reset it.

Also, while I'm on the topic, does anyone happen to know of a way to fix this without having to go unplug my router twice a week?
  • I have the same thing like xspherev. How to change openGL to direct x? Freezing makes it unplayable.