IT'S TOURNAMENT TIME.

A tournament of epic proportions is now in the works. Plain and simple, it's going to fucking rock. It's still in the planning stage, but what I have concluded from listening to the people hosting it, it's going to be a bracket based frag-fest not for the faint of heart. Check back, i'll have more details soon.

Comments

• Can noob's join :) ?

It's going to be open to anyone roberto! You're gradually growing out of noob-hood though man : )
  • Keep this thread clean please.
  • So Abstract, you should get phr33ky to help you with this tourny.
  • So Abstract, you should get phr33ky to help you with this tourny.

Don't worry T. Thank you so much for you genuine concern. We have all the help we'll need.
  • I'm not really sure how to respond. :-\

You really need to give some details or something, because you've posted a thread saying there is going to be a tournament - which happens all the time (and yet there is never a tournament) - so if you want people to prepare/you want people to take it seriously, you need to give details.

I suggest something like:
    * Team size (e.g. 5, 7, 10, 12, 14)
    * Gametype/MOD (i.e. CTF/Classic)

And then say more to be announced instead of giving us nothing.
  • Trimmed the fat.
  • This sounds like fun! :) Can't wait to see more info!
  • A Base tournament might be healthy. That way, when the Classic teams take every single top spot, it'll serve to put the new wave of Base players back in their place like VSTO and VK did in years before.
    :D
    Unless of course you do some sort of draft, but in that case I'd think most classic players wouldn't bother.
  • vsto 4 ever hut hut hut hut hut hut
  • Personally, I'd love to see a tournament that got some of the non-comp players involved. I think people that haven't had the chance to play on an organized team would enjoy it. Maybe it'll help to revive the ladder too.
    I'd be totally up for it, but TBH I'm terrible at the game and would probably end up being a liability more than anything for any half-serious team populated by non-terrible, or even just pub++ players.

I mean, if pubbing on goon haven is any indication, the whole thing would be a total rapefest, seeing as experience has shown that all it takes is two good comp HOs on one team in a 60 man game and suddenly you're just magically fighting 30 headless chickens with pingpong blasters and a heap of rubble for base until the end of the map.
  • Quite painfully true.

I believe we discussed the possibility for a tournament on GH, but it never really got past the "we could do this someday" stage.
  • edited May 2009
    Quite painfully true.

I believe we discussed the possibility for a tournament on GH, but it never really got past the "we could do this someday" stage.
    well If we can work things out maybe we could use both servers in hopes to make everyone happy.Let me know what you think and I will disscus this with my guys.We have done this on HV before twice and it can be fun as hell.It is not to prove a point or really make one.It is not for people to crap on other people or shit talk.You can brag all you want later because I know some people cant help themselves.

I just think it would be a nice thing if we could get some of the newer players with some vets to maybe help them out. That way Maybe give them a taste of what comp is all about.Who knows maybe some will like it so much they will want to join TWL in the future.But the more people we get to play tribes the better IMO.
  • I've heard this before.

My fault. Totally my fault. I've entrusted so many parts of Goon Haven to my other admins at this point that they could put on a tournament without me...
  • I've heard this before.

My fault. Totally my fault. I've entrusted so many parts of Goon Haven to my other admins at this point that they could put on a tournament without me...
    Who are you, again? ;)

Might want to make a post with the info in the Competition and Pick-ups forum, when the time comes, and probably add a calendar event too.
  • The tournament ideas (which are open for discussion) will be that multiple teams of about 12-16 people from new people to veterans who want to play.

We have done this before, twice actually so we are familiar with how it needs to be carried out.

If you are interested in participating in this event, post here if you want to build a team or just be a part of a team. We need to have an idea if people want to play in this or not.

|HV| TerraNova
  • edited May 2009
    As said earlier, I'll play or whatever, as long as you're willing to put up with me.

If you're on goon haven you'll see me as SADDAM AL-TIKRIT these days. I usually play HO on most maps except those I know fuckall how to get to the enemy base in an efficient manner (too lazy to pre-emptively figure out ski routes myself in offline mode), not the best or even good at it, but better than all those people you see jumping into havocs on maps like rollercoaster. Still, you might ocassionally see me having all your numbers on spammy maps like Raindance/Titan/Blastside on the ocassions when the comp people are off dozing somewhere else :p

I can play a scrubby capper, don't usually bother with it it unless I notice (almost)no one else on my team is capping, since I have a habit of missing the flagstand 10-40% of the time depending on the map, and don't really know any routes or whatever so I just find a decent set of hills or crash myself at it in Shrike and try to wing it.

Experience has shown that I'm pretty bad at dueling or LO/LD roles so I tend to generally shy away from that, even if that's not really helping my cause in that field either.

Not that it likely will matter for a tournament, but I also like Tanking, more specifically being the driver. Which is also why I like some inane maps like Tombstone V and Artillery that most other people seem to hate ;D.
    Otherwise, I'm absolutely terrible in shrike and not really the greatest bomber pilot either, but can wing it with a halfway competent TG. I like TGing too, but the euro-lag when trying to get missile locks on squirmy shrikes can sometimes be pretty frustrating.
  • Bumping this thread for interested people.

TN
  • edited May 2009
    SA can you make me a sig plz... thx plox.
  • Trimmed this thread down to size again. This thread is to stay on-topic from now on.
  • Bump! I would really like to see this happen.

We would have to pick a time... I see alot of people on GH around 10PM EST so maybe around then would be good. Also, how long? I could play for 2 hours no prob... ALSO, I could play any day of the week but a day between Thurs - Sun would probably be best for most people.
  • edited May 2009
    A regular pickup on Goon Haven has been an idea we've been juggling for a while. We've been thinking of letting people who know how to do it host pickups on our server.
  • Is this happening? Where do I find info?
  • Sure. Some flexible, patient hosters would be nice. So far, there's only been support, so, it might be worth a try.
  • I'd play.
  • I'd play.
    You'd own.
  • I'd love to see this happen ;D