Your fondest memory of T2?

I remember playing T2 way back when it first came out. The online was more incredible than anything I had ever seen. I thought it was amazing how it had clan managers, forums, chatrooms, and email all built in. Sadly they removed lots of that shortly after launch, and the rest of it seems to be gone with TN.

As for gameplay, my fondest memories are of being a tailgunner with a competent bomber crew. Throwing flares, shooting down chasing shrikes (blowing up a shrike with a missile lock while thousands of feet above the ground is so satisfying), and repairing the bomber. Good times.

Comments

• I remember playing T2 way back when it first came out. The online was more incredible than anything I had ever seen. I thought it was amazing how it had clan managers, forums, chatrooms, and email all built in. Sadly they removed lots of that shortly after launch, and the rest of it seems to be gone with TN.

As for gameplay, my fondest memories are of being a tailgunner with a competent bomber crew. Throwing flares, shooting down chasing shrikes (blowing up a shrike with a missile lock while thousands of feet above the ground is so satisfying), and repairing the bomber. Good times.

I have many to be honest.

My favorite was a 20 v 20 battle in BONES Mod. Nothing more epic then 40 fighters shooting eachother, teammates and enemies dying left and right, missiles and plasma bolts flying by my fighter every second, placing an enemy gunship in my reticule and blasting it away as I'm being shot from 3 different directions, dodging missiles, buildings and mountains. Oh man... Too epic to explain... I miss those days.
  • I could write a book with all the fond memories I have of tribes 2...asking me to pick one well thats impossible.

I could mention the start of my piloting where a group of pilots and myself tried dang near everything and came up with most of the moves that became the basis of all flying vehicles from there on. Much fun was had with the shrike and bomber there and it was all new and fresh at that time.

I could talk about my time in aerial dogfight making buddies in there and just generally kicking everyones butt. There are certainly enough stories from aerial dogfight.

I could take about the amazing times I had with dws in base competition...We had some solid stuff going and amazing plays. Just some really amazing coordination and gameplay there.

Bah the list goes on and on...I played tribes for too many dang years and now I'm playing it again...oh noes.
  • Is this the Wildcard I used to play with in Mechina and Syrinx? Along with Zenoajax, Dirty Dingo, Mr. Anderson and Sif?
    Zamo
  • My fondest memories rest with Renegades and the full servers. (In Tribes 1) I remember we'd have 80+ people on a server all using Broadband/DSL connections. Today, that would be considered extremely laggy, but, Tribes 1 had amazing netcode, and everyone freaked out it was so "lag-less".

In Tribes 2, Renegades was still my favorite. O-sniping and picking off enemies one by one, either using a rail gun or a rail turret. Also, sneaking up on enemy snipers with the interceptor and blasting them with dual missiles was also fun.

RevMod2 also stored good memories for me. Blasting people with the shotgun was so fun.

Even playing base was fun, too. I remember a few times when I'd run over the enemy flag carrier by accident on foggy maps and laugh so hard after doing so. The long walks back to base after being shot down/crashing and repairing teammates on the way also made for some interesting adventures.
  • Is this the Wildcard I used to play with in Mechina and Syrinx? Along with Zenoajax, Dirty Dingo, Mr. Anderson and Sif?
    Zamo

Nope I'm the orginal Wildcard Don't be fooled by imposters.
  • All of my memories lies with MA's or Duel Mod. I've got some pretty WICKED MA's where the flag capper was 200-300m+ away and I'd get an MA on them and stuff like that. And duel mod..There's just waaaaayy too many in there..
  • All of my memories lies with MA's or Duel Mod. I've got some pretty WICKED MA's where the flag capper was 200-300m+ away and I'd get an MA on them and stuff like that. And duel mod..There's just waaaaayy too many in there..
    I used to make my share of decent MAs, however, they don't stick in my memory. My memory is filled with ramming into flag carriers or sniping them. :P
  • None of us can play like we used to. ;)
  • being in clan SPAM were some of the happiest days of gaming I've had, ever.
  • Yeah seriously who plays like they used to these days? Its been how many years since most of us have played?
  • None of us can play like we used to. ;)

Quoted for truth. I used to be scary good at sniping. I could just sit in one area and drop people like flies over and over, no matter how they were trying to evade me. I tried it today and missed almost everyone who wasn't standing still.

Also, is anyone else having trouble with mouse sensitivity? The default setting is far too twitchy. I don't remember having any trouble back in the day but I just can't find a mouse setting that feels right.
  • Vertically ramming a flag-capper-to-be on Valley War right after he took the flag, probably the most insane thing i've ever done... ever. I was coming from behind our base at an altitude of about 40 meters at full speed. when i hear the flag sound, and go straight down, and ram him to death with pure awesome. It was my way of saying, no, you are not going to have this flag, and you never will.
  • I almost did write a book on my T2 experience. I'd have to say my favorite one would be the days of my prime, where I had about 90% accuracy with disc MAs and was unbeatable in all mods where MAs count. Of course I also had great times before that in my "shrike" prime when the only player who could reliably shoot me down in a shrike in the game was Wildcard. Ahh good times. Too bad I can't play anything like that anymore.

You should have written it brother. In generations passed, there were great struggles. What do we have today? To quote the great Tyler Derden: "Our great war is a spiritual one, our great depression is our lives." If you would have written it from a sociological perspective, it would have been a tome of knowledge for our generation with parallels to our being tamed by a passive aggressive oppressor known as civility, and Tribes as being a way to unleash the chained and hidden warlord within us all. In these days our wrath has been extinguished, probably for the better, but a bitter regret for the lack thereof remains.

My most fond Tribes 2 memory was my first Tribes 2 online experience. I would have been in 2000 or 2001 when I was still attending college. I logged on to my first pickup game on a very populated server, I think it was Houston Vehicles or 5 Assed Monkey. I didn't do anything great, like stop a capper or rape a gen room or even get a kill. I had just gotten my loadout and I looked up, 2 Gunships and some shrikes flew overhead and this left a lasting impression on me as to the grandeur of what was happening around me. It was conflict, and coordination. It was the individual and the interaction of individuals to draw together into one. It was all happening at once, and It was quite simply, a feeling of awe.
  • My fondest memory was when I convinced some kid that I was haxing his computer in irc and forced him to "sing" I'm a little teapot.

Good times indeed.
  • I think we all remember MPB launching.

Not my fondest but something we can all remember! ;)
  • I remember the first time I played Slapdash. And I watched as people jumped into vehicles, VEHICLES, driving off to battle at far reaches of the map that I could not even imagine. At that time there was nothing like it, no game before or since has done vehicles so well.

Then there was the time I watched a noob turn over a heavy transport full of fully armed juggernauts ten feet from the base.
  • Oh I thought of a fond memory most people can relate to. First day of the game and ya hop into a shrike to promptly crash into the nearest mountain....Good times.
  • edited January 2009
    Man, too many fun times to recall. One of my fondest memories was in a TWL Renegades match, with the flag, and capping for the tiebreaker with 1 second left. Also, many fun times with my clan mates just messing around after practices broke up, trying different things, flying shrikes upside down all over the map and making cap runs upside down. Greatest game ever made, easily.

I'd have to say most of my fondest memories came from all my then and current friends/clan members in Ninjamod. Still friends with a lot of them since 2001. Greatest forum flamers and shit talkers I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. ;D
  • I'll always remember the pick up games that Classic mod players were doing after all the new maps were being tested for TWL competition. Those were great times.
  • Yeah seriously who plays like they used to these days? Its been how many years since most of us have played?
    Yeah, seriously. If I went against myself when I was at my peak, I'd be turned into a pile of mush.
  • It was different when we all had nothing better to do than spend five hours a day playing a video game. Now I'd be lucky if I could play it for thirty minutes.
  • [quote author=TheOracle[xXx] link=topic=154.msg1586#msg1586 date=1231564995]
    It was different when we all had nothing better to do than spend five hours a day playing a video game. Now I'd be lucky if I could play it for thirty minutes.
    [/quote]

I remember when clan's had practices for 2 hours. Afterwards most would join a pub and play for alot more.

One of my fondest moments (That I can remember) was in a match in base. I was shriking on dessicator and was going to try and stop the enemy flag carrier. Well out of the dust I come almost straight down for him, well I hit him and 4 other people, returned the flag mid air, and Somehow caught their flag that a teammate had just dropped when he died. I had almost disced myself to hurry back to the base when my teammates in RogerWilco were asking me if I needed help.
  • my favorite memories are when the game was still a year old and i was playing at school. i had my first matches with my first tribe. another is pubbing nightly back on aether hizzaus during the summer years ago.
  • Bombing with Bizstice and shooting down Bizstice on the old -MV- server.

Speaking of which...
  • My fondest memory was when I convinced some kid that I was haxing his computer in irc and forced him to "sing" I'm a little teapot.

Good times indeed.

LOL... You MONSTER! XD
  • Some guy riding a bike up a mountain at full speed to smack a heavy, hitting him in mid air.
    Ma mortars are neeto too.
  • I remember that once, there was this map where you only have MPBs are your inventory stations. So, I maneuver an MPB into a rough stronghold. Feeling pretty good about my MPB driving skills, I jump out and admire my work. Then, flying through the air, I see a guy doing rapid flips and turns in an mpb above me. I look back on that now and laugh. I never did figure out how he did it.
  • From Tribes 1: A headshot with an MDM mortar on DangerousCrossing.

Tribes 2: Killing 3 people while doing a loop in a shrike on Katabatic. I crashed into the ground after that because I was too busy laughing my ass off.
  • Playing a 64 man CTF air wars on some of the most epic maps ever on huston/miami vehicles =), nothing gets you moving like 32 people on your ass when you´ve got the flag, also playing tanks onely was pure chaos with 64 people.
  • Probably stealing the top siege rung from whoever... I think it was geezers at the time. I remember thinking all my time playing T2 was not in vain haha. Or maybe every time I cloak + backlanced a heavy as they are about to blow a gen on ultima thule.... fuck why doesn't anyone like siege?