What is Tribes 2?

The chance to promote TribesNext is already over.

Remember when all the mainstream gaming news sites mentioned TN a few months back? That was it.

But,

the owner of the site didn't capitalize on that opportunity, leaving alot of potentially new players having no idea what the game is like. After reaching TribesNext.com, all they saw was some random logo.

No screenshots,

no videos,

and they left.

Purest has a point here. Although this site looks nice aesthetically (imho), and has information on the TN patch, it has virtually no information on what Tribes 2 itself actually is, at least none that is easily accessible. I tried pretending I was a newblood who had just found the site and was browsing it, and I came away with no real information on the game whatsoever. While it may be too late to fully capitalize on TN's initial publicity, something should still be done to fix this. Maybe we could make a page for the website, easily accessible from the main page, with a short article on T2 (game/teamplay, modability, history, etc.), some cool screenshots, and/or a video.

As an example of what a free game website should have to attract new players take a look at the Allegiance main page (Allegiance is a game with a history similar to Tribes 2: their servers were shut down; the community recreated the game, making it free; the game now has a relatively small but devoted following). The page has the game's logo, followed by a short description of it. Then it has more in depth descriptions of a few of its cool/unique features. The page also has a variety of screenshots showcasing Allegiance easily accessible via a link. Something similar would probably be helpful in attracting new players to Tribes 2.

Thoughts?

Comments

• And I would like a pony.

Are you into site design? If so, feel free to build that sort of content. If it's better than what we have already (which is, admittedly, just about nothing), then there's a really really good chance that Krash will make it happen.

It's all well and good to think about how to improve things. It's quite another to actually do it.

The little time I have allocated to this project is devoted to the community features backend, and the RC3 patch.
  • And I would like a pony.

Are you into site design? If so, feel free to build that sort of content. If it's better than what we have already (which is, admittedly, just about nothing), then there's a really really good chance that Krash will make it happen.

It's all well and good to think about how to improve things. It's quite another to actually do it.

The little time I have allocated to this project is devoted to the community features backend, and the RC3 patch.

I was afraid someone would come up with a response like this. Unfortunately I can't do site design. My hope was that by bringing this up and throwing some ideas around, I might be able to encourage some people with that ability to do something about the problem (not you, I know you're busy). I think even something as simple as an indication of what this site offers (a free fps) somewhere in plain sight might be helpful. Oh well, I tried :-\
  • It's not that hard just use some simple shit like www.webs.com
    I have my site up on that and it's alright. Would do fine with something that Greenstorm wants.
  • Yeah, I think I might give this a go, though I really don't know anything about web design at the moment. I'll check back if I ever manage to come up with something decent. Thanks for the link, Love|Hate.
  • You could just "borrow" the current site design and tweak it to fit your needs by adding new "tabs" and expanding the available content.
  • Actually, it takes only one simple action:

Embed a good youtube video of Tribes 2 on the landing page (that shoutcasted classic match).

That's it.

Embed a good youtube video of Tribes 2 on the landing page (that shoutcasted classic match).

That's it.

That's a good idea!
  • I like the comparison to allegience. The main page and domain they use though, are the opnes created bvy microsoft when the game was new.
  • IX savage?
  • green storm is absolutely right, TN needs a brand new Tab at the top that says, What is TN? or something similar to that, and it will be a great resource to new people just trying to figure out what this game is all about, which includes; screenshots, movies, tips, anything that would be helpfull. if we dont do this, its really just a matter of laziness..
  • If you can convince Krash, the owner of the site, to give someone access to add stuff, the problem will be solved and new players will start pouring in.
  • If you can convince Krash, the owner of the site, to give someone access to add stuff, the problem will be solved and new players will start pouring in.

he needs to read this topic...
  • I don't know if any of you have noticed, but... there is sticky entitled [INPUT] Site Proposals in the general discussion forum category. Placing a suggestion in that thread is more likely to illicit a response from the site creator as he probably doesn't comb the entire site daily looking for suggestion.
  • I posted a suggestion in that thread in the first month of TN's release. 3rd page, near the bottom. Krash hasn't given a flying fuck about TN since making the site.

If people want to add stuff to the site, perhaps somebody could hit up Thyth, Shane or whoever else knows him well.
  • What is Tribes 2?
    DRAMA!
  • I agree with thyth,

If you really want that tab about the game, or a short video, make it yourself, and submit it to krash.
  • This has failed. >:(

T2 will get more camera time during the release of the Xmas TN.
  • i bet there's plenty of tribes 2 troll code freaks on this forum that have no life that are probably willing to progress TN's future more than it is now.. i guarantee it.

i respect thyth and the others for what they've done, but dont half-ass it, get it done if your going to start it.. no excuses really..
  • Too bad the intersection between people who actually have the skills to improve this project and the willingness to improve this project is a tiny sliver of those who simply want improvements.

This is effectively a charity project. Remember that the people with the skills necessary to build something like this are also the people who are in high demand for projects that actually pay.

Saying there's "no excuses" for not meeting some arbitrary goal and definition is just about asking for us to completely drop the project.

If you want to redesign the site, do it. Make it objectively better, then join the IRC channel, prove your design is better. I guarantee that if we are shown a completed site design that is better than the current one, we will replace the current one as quickly as we can SCP files to the server. It doesn't take my level of skill to put together a site, whereas it does take my level of skill to put together updates to the patch.

So, I reiterate: "And I would like a pony."

Want change? Take the initiative, and stop soap-boxing from the peanut gallery. That's how this project was started, after all.
  • Lol, I like how ego and narcissism lowers your intelligence and makes you miss the point completely.
  • I like how you complain without doing anything productive.
  • I think thyth hit the point right on.....
  • Purist agrees, which is why he tried to insult me instead of countering my points in argument.
  • It's not about redesigning the website. It's about replacing the random pointless logo on the front page with a random YouTube video of Tribes 2. Does Krash really need someone to design a whole page that he can paste over this one just to get some sort of Tribes 2 content somewhere on this site? It's a matter of replacing whatever small number of lines that make up the logo with the 3 lines that make up a random video embed - one of which is a copy/paste from YouTube (and all of which I already posted). All of the work that can be done without file access to this website has been done. Is some Tribes 2 content on an important Tribes 2 website objectively better than no Tribes 2 content on an important Tribes 2 website? Then someone needs to get with the copy/pasting of 3 lines.

But of course, last I checked, Thyth doesn't even have access to change things on this website, which is pretty hilarious by itself.
  • Then do it Kryand. Give us a mock up of a new front page.

If it is simple then take a bit of time and throw it together :P

That is the point I think Thyth is trying to make.

How is it funny Thyth doesn't have access to change anything on the website. Did you ever wonder if he needed it in the first place? If it was important to the project for Thyth to have access to change the site then I'm sure he would have it.
  • Then do it Kryand. Give us a mock up of a new front page.

If it is simple then take a bit of time and throw it together :P

That is the point I think Thyth is trying to make.
    Jesus Christ how in the fuck are you people missing this incredibly simple concept.
    It is already done. Krash is the only one who can finalize it.
    $videos = array("UlAmFPL6xgc", "kIuDH5dTGpQ", "AB-mEvbj404", "igjM6KOm8ZE", "yR3Ftt07mDQ", "pOLmvS9lYJw", "-BjW1kN9P9k");
    $rand = rand(0, count($videos)-1);
    echo("");

• Highlight
    • Ctrl-C
    • Open the file with the content of index.php
    • Highlight the random logo object code.
    • Ctrl-V
    • Save
    Congratulations, you have a "new" front page that actually has Tribes 2 content, so people will know what the hell Tribes 2 is. Three fucking lines.
    How is it funny Thyth doesn't have access to change anything on the website. Did you ever wonder if he needed it in the first place? If it was important to the project for Thyth to have access to change the site then I'm sure he would have it.
    Umm yeah actually, he does need it. He controls the location of the auth server, this website contains the location of the auth server. If the auth server location has to change, it requires Thyth to tell Krash the new location, and Krash to come update it. Two people to do something as simple as changing one line of a file. But that's beside the point. My real point was that apparently the only person with access to this site is never around to make these simple changes. The next logical person who should have access is Thyth, and he doesn't.
  • Cliffs:
    * Thyth makes an excellent point.
    * Kryand contributes the work needed to make the idea go forward.
    * Purest complains.
  • Cliffs:
    * Thyth makes an excellent point.
    * Kryand contributes the work needed to make the idea go forward.
    * Purest complains.

Cliffs addendum:
    * teratos sums it up
    * No work is actually done and the status quo remains
    * DudeBot makes a non-sequitur comment
    * ? ? ?
    * PROFIT!
    * Shizuka contributes nothing and should just die
  • edited December 2009
    Maybe people should start making new TribesNext web pages ? Tribes2 had a lot of different web pages people could browse . http://www.hostmonster.com/