High Definition Patch

I just realized, with enough talent people around here, we could create a fully-compatible-with-those-who-don't-have-it High Definition Patch!

We would need: Texture Artists mostly, and maybe some other guys...

Sound Effects?

Comments

• Hmm... Texture overhaul would bring a whole new scope of awesome to this project. Not that i dont LIKE the current graphics, but if you can make the game's visual aspects up to date, then this game might as well just be called Tribes 4..

I hope this happens, It would be awesome. :)
  • That would be kinda cool. We'd need some modellers too, those characters models are pretty lowpoly.
  • Heck why don't you just revamp the whole thing. I could help with basic modeling stuff, but I'm not really good enough for complicated models.
  • My only worry with revamping everything is the inability to play with those without the patch.
  • My only worry with revamping everything is the inability to play with those without the patch.

Make it come with the TN patch.
    Would never happen...
    Thyth has mentioned several times already that he has no intentions of burdening the patch with anything other than the necessary files to permit TribesNexts functionality.

Perhaps you could create a community bundle and ask Krash for hosting, or it might be something you could push through the auto-download feature that may evolve later on...
  • I just realized, with enough talent people around here, we could create a fully-compatible-with-those-who-don't-have-it High Definition Patch!

We would need: Texture Artists mostly, and maybe some other guys...

Sound Effects?

I can do both textures and sound effects. The issue is my laziness.
    Would never happen...
    Thyth has mentioned several times already that he has no intentions of burdening the patch with anything other than the necessary files to permit TribesNexts functionality.

Perhaps you could create a community bundle and ask Krash for hosting, or it might be something you could push through the auto-download feature that may evolve later on...

Auto-DL will only allow for .ter/.dif files AFAIK, from what Thyth has said.
  • Hmm... does Tribes 2 go crazy when different polygons are used for a shape than default?

Maybe there wouldn't be a problem if we limited the changes.
  • What about just making a hi-res mod type thing? that way people could play both.

Honestly if its good enough, people should be willing to update the servers...
  • Huh?

We need polygon updates for really nice graphics. And the thing is, it can be done too!
  • Any updates on this? I'm curious to see if this will be pulled off.
  • Tribes 4
    you can't make a Tribes 4 if there was no Tribes 3
  • Tribes 4
    you can't make a Tribes 4 if there was no Tribes 3
    Agreed. :)
  • tribes 3 was vengeance, which is shit.
  • T:V wasn't tribes.
  • lol, my bad
  • Tribes 2 won't load graphics higher than 512x512, so the first order of business would be creating some sort of hack that fixes that. Otherwise, all the fancy textures in the world won't make the game look THAT much better.
  • As far as the issue of getting people on the 'HD' version and not porking the people on basic, you could follow Eve Online's strategy, which I think was brilliant. They came out with a version of their client that supported high res textures, with all new models, but the game remained the same, people with 'classic' clients were still playing in the same universe. The only difference is a classic pc renders lowres_model_A at x,y,z coordinates, and the premium client loads highres_model_A at the same x,y,z coordinates.

Assuming the engine can be made to support high res textures and models, then you just make a dloadable pack that has the high res content, and you're basically good to go - you could play on the same server and see HD content as another player running lowres... much akin to custom skins.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not implying it's a walk in the park, but the theory is good.
  • I still agree with keen, when RC5 comes out server hosts could just construct their own server packages and have them sent to the client.
  • Well Actually i could do a bit of 3d modeling in my spare time as for the artwork im only half decent for textures , other such stuff

i can model with 1 of 2 programs

GoogleSketchup 7 Pro or

3ds Max 9 By AutoDesk

both of which can make models of any size and fit them in any shape. now as for the fact of creating a team i made a post a few down from this named - is it possible to upgrade tribes graphics? - and everyone post they arent enough willing people now i feel confident there are enough talented coders , Artists , Modlers playing on this server or lurking the forums that this can be pulled off. however i think the client should be Downloaded off of this site for all who would like it. also if we do pull this off we should rename the tribes game cause if its graphics are different the game is different. and that means its time to call it something else. TribesNext - then and expansion name after as for the players there should be 2 sets of models as stated before for players with bad computers or worse that have no ram or graphics cards. aside from that i think this could happen within 2-3 months of off and on work. let alone we say we only make enough models to support the 6 basic maps. Katabatic , Beggars Run , Dust to Dust , Raindance , and the other 2 ones that are on the game before its modded. ill fix this post later with all 6 maps. Thanks and please somone help us!
  • I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but there are several problems with your idea.

The first is that there are (almost certainly) not enough interested people with the talent and time to work on this project.

You'll have to convince people to download the package (unless your package is a spampack or cheat, people will not download it).

I don't think you really understand what you are undertaking.
    To begin with, all computers have RAM.
    Second, I highly doubt the game will be renamed.
    Third, what's this talk about maps? Do you mean the structures? If so, that will never work because of the way the game works.