Place for Noobs (me :D ) to complain about overpowered stuff.

Well, I've heard a lot of complaints about certain weapons/packs over the past few YEARS... So now is the chance to tell everyone :D Which do you think is the stupidest/noobiest?

Just a small explanation on the options:

1. Lots of complaints. Chews people up too fast, too accurate for a CG, too much damage per bullet... I've heard them all.

2. My personal enemy. Ridiculous fire rate, ridiculous damage, huge blast radius. WILL RESULT IN USERS BEING HUNTED DOWN.

3. I'm actually surprised this one made it on the list. Lots of people complaining, calling it useless and such. It does Spinfusor damage with the bonus "behind-the-back" instakill. Plus unlimited ammo. The biggest complaint I've heard in a game is that the range is too long.

4. I see the usefulness indoors. Lots of explosions and such. The people outside bug me. Not sure why, they just do.

5. Apparently this annoys the crap out of people. It's the only weapon that gets through shields now. And THAT pisses off the shielders. You know the risks, now open up and suck on some glowing red balls.

6. This is more of a "useless" and only in one situation. The HEAVY LOVE standard loadout has nothing that uses energy, and if you're trying to use it alone and duel someone with that loadout, you're asking to hug the "big green boomie." Other than that, I think it can be pretty useful. Stop carriers and drain shields and such.

7. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THIS. IF YOU CAN'T HIT A FLYING TARGET, AND THAT'S YOUR CLOUD, YOU GO RIGHT OFF AND DAMN WELL MANUFACTURE A SILVER LINING. This is more for people who have been killed by it one too many times.

Well, by this time you've posted your votes. Probably. So why did you vote what you voted? Any commentary on what I've mentioned? Please, do tell. *sips Coke* It's not like I have anything better to do...

Comments

• where's the goddamn laser rifle

that thing is why i barely play

and plasma NEVER bypassed shield. ever.
  • awww
    laser is my fav!
    should be one shot headshot kills for a full charge!

but the mortar spam.........

come on!

get heavy
    ski
    lob mortar
    ski
    lob mortar
    ski
    lob mortar
    if your lucky you can get several kills with each mortar lobbed
  • For classic, grenade launcher is the correct answer, and it's not a matter of opinion. (Amount of damage you can do) / (focus required) is drastically higher for the grenade launcher than any other weapon in the game.
  • edited July 2010

Why yes. Yes it did. If you played when it was on a CD, I assume you have the book. Look it up.

@roberttom:

Why is it overpowered? I've found that it's just as easy to hit your friend running by as it is to hit your enemy. I think the beam focuses on the closest target within the reticule.

should be one shot headshot kills for a full charge!

but the mortar spam.........

come on!

Mortars have a ridiculous recharge/cooldown time, though. I think the blast range is a bit big, but it has its major disadvantages.

As for the sniper rifle thing, they tried that on a certain ruleset. The noobs started complaining because the good snipers can hit you in the head while you're moving. The noobs can't. The noobs brought it up. Then when they started dying, they did what noobs do best: complain. (as for the complaining, see the title of the thread :D) Oh, and that rule was taken out because of those complaints.

(In hindsight, I also realize that this is the wrong part of the forum for this discussion... my bad O:) )
  • Nothing is overpowered , when two people will fight with the same "overpowered" weapon someone will win beacause they have better skills with that weapon ( or ping,framerate ,etc.)

I don't think you know what overpowered means.

And no, the plasma never went through shields. The manual is wrong, and it's wrong in more places than just that. I thought every person who's been playing that long had already figured that out.
  • Nothing is overpowered , when two people will fight with the same "overpowered" weapon someone will win beacause they have better skills with that weapon ( or ping,framerate ,etc.)

I don't think you know what overpowered means.

And no, the plasma never went through shields. The manual is wrong, and it's wrong in more places than just that. I thought every person who's been playing that long had already figured that out.

Interesting... Worked just fine for me... Last time I used it... On Goons, actually...
  • Lying doesn't work against people who know all the facts.
  • Lying doesn't work against people who know all the facts.

That was kinda unnecessary... It was on white dwarf, I was playing gen defense. I admit it may not have been the plasma (although in a small room, it's good for clearing) but SOMETHING must have happened to kill him. I was the only guy there and he had his shield pack, so I can't see why he wouldn't have it on. I MIGHT have killed his shields, but if I did then it only took a shot or two.
  • @Kryand

My apologies.

With further testing (I've only played for like six months TOTAL) I've noticed that the plasma rifle, in fact, does NOT penetrate shields. I don't know if it worked when it came out, because by the time I got it the servers were empty, and BOTS don't use shield packs much. I was wrong. Sorry.
  • Oh, well I thought you said you had been playing since release, but I guess I confused you with someone else. Sorry for my comments, I wouldn't have been hard on you if I knew you hadn't been playing for that long.
  • edited July 2010
    Oh, well I thought you said you had been playing since release, but I guess I confused you with someone else. Sorry for my comments, I wouldn't have been hard on you if I knew you hadn't been playing for that long.

Well, the reason I started playing is because I saw my dad playing it a lot when I was younger. And I still can't get Shifter to work :( That was the cool part... But the game is cool enough by itself. I just got a friend on to it, and he agrees that it's better than CoD, HALO, and Unreal combined.

Anyway, we're getting off track. For those of you just tuning in (and skipping to the bottom of the page for some reason...?) this thread is a poll about what weapon you hate and why, whether it be cheap, useless, nooby, what have you. Let it out. And as previously stated, I'm probably in the wrong forum for this...
  • get yer pa to play, us old dudes need to show you younguns that old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill
  • edited July 2010
    get yer pa to play, us old dudes need to show you younguns that old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

The part after the comma may have made you my favorite current Tribes player ever. I think if you and I collaborated we'd rape everyone in Goons. (although now that I think about it, that'd work for any two collaborators...) He'd love to, but the only computers he has access to are laptops, and work ones at that. So he can't download games on them. You may know him, he went by TD. He'd take awhile to get used to the rules, too, since he played either Shifter or Base.
    But i sure think the Elf is the deadliest and most overpowered weapon is trbes2 ...

I found out what you mean. I was playing on a map I particularly don't like (the one with the hydroplant generator and the sewer system) and caused at least six people to mortar themselves to death when their shields ran out. In most cases, though, it kinda needs two people to use it.
  • edited July 2010
    you need to help him get a system to play t2 on

doesnt take much of a sys at all to play t2, the game was written for the gf3 card more or less, its a dx6 game with some dx8 pixel shaders and bump maps tacked on

so if you have more cpu puwer than say a 1GHz p3, and at least a gf2 or better you are good to go

when t2 came out you were lucky to have a p3 450 or k6-2 400 cpu and a nvid tnt card to play on and the game developers knew most folks had that class of harware or worse, like original pentiums and voodoo2s so they made the game playable on a wide variety of hardware

ahh the days of 98, p3s, and tnt2s
  • edited July 2010
    Well, I've heard a lot of complaints about certain weapons/packs over the past few YEARS...

That made me think you played allot too....

Well, you see, most of those complaints are by me. To me. I've been playing since 2008, but I played so rarely that I couldn't count it as two years of playing. I've also gotten on a couple forums and watched a few YouTube videos and they complain about how nooby some of the things are. Also, my dad talked about how cheap Shifter made some things. Apparently you could build a fully functional base inside your opponent's base. With shields to protect it all. You had to be really coordinated to do that, but if you were, it made the game too easy.
    you need to help him get a system to play t2 on

doesnt take much of a sys at all to play t2, the game was written for the gf3 card more or less, its a dx6 game with some dx8 pixel shaders and bump maps tacked on

so if you have more cpu puwer than say a 1GHz p3, and at least a gf2 or better you are good to go

when t2 came out you were lucky to have a p3 450 or k6-2 400 cpu and a nvid tnt card to play on and the game developers knew most folks had that class of harware or worse, like original pentiums and voodoo2s so they made the game playable on a wide variety of hardware

ahh the days of 98, p3s, and tnt2s

Geek out, man. I'm fully aware how little Tribes requires (I download a demo game earlier and it took more room than the installer and installed Tribes version) I played on the same computer my dad used to use after he got off Tribes. It was a 98 until the day it died. I liked that computer... *sniff...* Anyvay... Kinda can't wrap this up...

"I make art until someone dies"

Thanks! Done now :)
  • and plasma NEVER bypassed shield. ever.

Hi, read the book again. That's past tense for me, not command for you. It says plasma is particularly effective against shielded targets. Thing is, the blaster says specifically it bypasses the shield pack. Poor wording? I should think so!
  • The plasma is useful against shields indoors only due to the fact that it is a rapid fire weapon and it is very effective if you are accurate with it.

I don't think any weapon is noobish or overpowered. They all have their uses and decent players mix and match.

The Grenade Launcher is probably the most effective and versatile tool when used by an experienced player though.

Back before Classic Mod the Elf was the weapon considered noobish due to its ease of use. In my opinion though the game peaks when teamwork is is incorporated thus even in base days I don't think the Elf was too much a problem.

Hehe well perhaps on maps like Sanctuary it was but that is a case for map design not weapon issues.
  • edited September 2010

Hi, read the book again. That's past tense for me, not command for you. It says plasma is particularly effective against shielded targets. Thing is, the blaster says specifically it bypasses the shield pack. Poor wording? I should think so!

The manual also says generators provide intermittent power when damaged, says lava ignores the shield pack, says the ELF deals damage, says the flare can be used simply to mark areas, says you carry 6 grenades, neglects to say that the laser rifle doesn't work in water, and says you can shake a heat lock if you stop jetting. The manual is not always right.

Shoot at a turret with the plasma rifle. Tell me how many shots it takes to break through the shield.
  • edited September 2010

The manual also says generators provide intermittent power when damaged, says lava ignores the shield pack, says the ELF deals damage, says the flare can be used simply to mark areas, says you carry 6 grenades, neglects to say that the laser rifle doesn't work in water, and says you can shake a heat lock if you stop jetting. The manual is not always right.

Shoot at a turret with the plasma rifle. Tell me how many shots it takes to break through the shield.

Er, actually quite a few of those are right. It doesn't say the ELF does damage, it says it drains shields and hampers mobility. The TURRET version does damage. I've shaken uncountable missile locks by not jetting. The flares are probably just for visual marking, not targeting. The laser rifle has worked fine for me underwater. Lava, if it doesn't ignore shields, drains them fast enough it doesn't make a difference. I don't really care about the intermittent power.

And that's a terrible example. It takes four or five missiles to take down a turret with shields. I'm not going to waste perfectly good plasma ammo on turrets. If I'm in scout, I have no business taking out turrets, and if I'm not, I'm using missiles. Perhaps a targeting laser.

Besides, we're off topic. Am I the only one who notices that?

Er, actually quite a few of those are right. It doesn't say the ELF does damage, it says it drains shields and hampers mobility. The TURRET version does damage. I've shaken uncountable missile locks by not jetting. The flares are probably just for visual marking, not targeting. The laser rifle has worked fine for me underwater. Lava, if it doesn't ignore shields, drains them fast enough it doesn't make a difference. I don't really care about the intermittent power.

And that's a terrible example. It takes four or five missiles to take down a turret with shields. I'm not going to waste perfectly good plasma ammo on turrets. If I'm in scout, I have no business taking out turrets, and if I'm not, I'm using missiles. Perhaps a targeting laser.

No, I do not believe that we are off topic.
    I believe that we are VERY off topic.

No, I do not believe that we are off topic.
    I believe that we are VERY off topic.

Well, what did you vote?
  • The grenade launcher is not overpowered , sorry , but if it was most of the people would play have it 90% of the time .
    I don't see many people with grenade launchers but i do see more people with lasers (not that is overpowered) and other weapons .
    People usually carry the weapons which does lots of damage , and fast ...

And the grenade launcher does both of those. Quite well. Because of its fire rate compared to the spinfusor, you don't have to be as accurate, because you can just fire six of them in the time you could fire two spinfusor discs. As long as they're taking more than a sixth of their health in damage each time you shoot, you don't have to worry. The only two things (really) that balance the grenade launcher are the ammo capacity and the fact you can't hit people in midair with it. Which most people can't do with the spinfusor. There's also the arc, but someone who plays with it often enough will work their way around that VERY quickly.

And most of the people who play DO have it 90% of the time. They're just using the laser rifle or the fusion mortar or the chaingun to spam stuff because they do more damage per hit or because they're either out of range or too close to use an explosive. Except the chaingun, but everyone agreed it's overpowered.

P.S. I no longer hunt down people who use the GL. I use it occasionally, but only if someone's over a hill and I'm out of jet.
  • Aww damn, you hqte the gl launcher that much ? I think it's fine , but i'm gonna use it when i see you :P

And if your aim's good, it'll only take you two shots and half a second to do so, which kinda proves how overpowered it is :P
  • Grenades have a big blast radious, they can be spammed easily and they deal out huge DPS.
    But they are only effective in medium to medium-long range or as a tactic of surprise buttsecks. (who hasnt died to 2 grenades shot from an enemy that is behind you? lol)

There are many ways to get around them.
    Just think about it.

The closer you are to the enemy, the harder it will be for him to hit you with a GL, and if he does damage to you he has probably damaged himself too. (Splash damage)

Grenades have a fuse time,(I don't know how much) and if you are far from the enemy, his grenades will have time to fuse and he will have chance to spam more at you.

Also, take note of the terrain. If the enemy is spamming grenades at you from a hill it will be easier for his grenades to damage you.

Out of energy and you think you will die?
    Try to take cover from the terrain (if possible, some maps don't offer that) by hidding yourself behind a little hill or a rock, wait for your energy to regen a bit and attack your enemy again.

Grenades aren't better or worse than other weapons, they just have its uses.

My 0.02$
  • Grenades have a big blast radious, they can be spammed easily and they deal out huge DPS.
    But they are only effective in medium to medium-long range or as a tactic of surprise buttsecks. (who hasnt died to 2 grenades shot from an enemy that is behind you? lol)

There are many ways to get around them.
    Just think about it.

The closer you are to the enemy, the harder it will be for him to hit you with a GL, and if he does damage to you he has probably damaged himself too. (Splash damage)

Grenades have a fuse time,(I don't know how much) and if you are far from the enemy, his grenades will have time to fuse and he will have chance to spam more at you.

Also, take note of the terrain. If the enemy is spamming grenades at you from a hill it will be easier for his grenades to damage you.

Out of energy and you think you will die?
    Try to take cover from the terrain (if possible, some maps don't offer that) by hidding yourself behind a little hill or a rock, wait for your energy to regen a bit and attack your enemy again.

Grenades aren't better or worse than other weapons, they just have its uses.

My 0.02$

Actually, never. Okay okay okay, one guy tried, but he was trying to shoot a shocklance and his weapons switched on him and he wound up killing himself and I laughed for a good five minutes.

If someone's that close, they won't be using most weapons, because the chaingun feels too clunky at that distance and they won't be using the spinfusor for the same reasons. The half second it takes means you can't get out any of your weapons fast enough to do any damage to him, so the splash damage doesn't matter. He's killed you so fast, he can just steal your health kit.

Ah, the fuse time. This is the only thing keeping me from noobing out and using a grenade launcher for everything and rocking all your blocks off. It feels slightly inconsistent, but it probably is and I just suck at it. I can't tell if it's a timer for impact or a double-impact trigger.

I guess together this makes $0.04?
  • Well, the possibilities are endless. There are many different situations.
    Debating over them would be...useless.

I just pointed something to help you against those GL spammers :P

I believe the fuse time its a timer and a double impact. I've never seen a grenade bounce more than 2 times.
    And the fuse time has been a trouble for me...I would have scored many MAs with the GL if it was for the fuse time... :-[
  • when you are on the ground trying to get away, i will be high above you raining every grenade i have onto you, anticipating where you will move next and placing my grenades accordingly
  • MWUHAHAHA!!!
  • when you are on the ground trying to get away, i will be high above you raining every grenade i have onto you, anticipating where you will move next and placing my grenades accordingly

You know what? Go die in a fire :P I played an awesome game today and three people with GLs couldn't take me out :P
  • Almost any weapon, in the right hands (hell even packs too) can be quite OP if you end up on the recieving end.

Even the vanilla spinfusor. In the right hands, a good D will MA most or nearly all incoming rapists or cappers.

Shit even the missile launcher has a range it can be used at, lock on, and fired before or just as the target throws a flare. FYI if you are close to the missile launcher, sailing through the air, and you try to throw a flare... do not throw it in front of you. If you are dueling a heavy and you hear the missile lock beep but he doesn't fire a missile, you might as well throw a flare (away from you) anyway because he will probably go for lock #2, and in that case you want to already have a flare out because those missiles go pretty fast and can deal some decent damage.

I am surprised though that the shrike didn't make the list. Some of you effers are pretty damn good at running people over with them. Tip: if you are trying to snipe jugs in the shrike, you are doing it wrong. Very wrong.