None

edited January 2014 in General Discussion
-

Comments

• I use server2003 for both my personal t2 game boxes, but t2 runs fine on xp. For older games xp is pretty much the standard, but as you said, new games are written to vista and 7 so to cater to new games one would want to use the os the game is written to.
  • Windows 7 Professional 64-bit/CentOS 5 64-bit on my big desktop
    Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition on my server
    Windows XP Home on my laptop

I have some ubuntu virtual machines too.
  • Gentoo Linux on my server, dual boot Windows 7 and Gentoo Linux on my desktop and notebook.
    And I have an Windows XP virtual machine somewhere.
  • Still using XP.
  • So , that's my only regret , the game compatibility and unnecessary stuff in windows 7 .
    I think i will keep windows 7 for a while and see how it goes , maybe i'l switch back to XP .

Win7 Ultimate comes with Windows XP virtual machine, for your compatibility needs.

Running Win7x64, Win7x42, Win2k8R2x64, 2k3R2x32 and FreeBSD 8.x x64
  • Win7x42
    Your operating systems intrigue me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
  • edited January 2011
    I also switched because i wanted direct x 11 and because win 7 supports 4gb RAM + .

Rob Vista supports Direct X 11

And these are the RAM supported by Vista:

64bit versions
    128GB: Ultimate, Enterprise, Business
    16GB: Home Premium
    8GB: Home Basic

You didn't need to upgrade to Windows 7 for all that. In my opinion it's mostly useless junk that nobody needs unless
    A) You're a business
    B) You've never had a computer or completely suck at computers in which case Windows 7 tries to help you.

Other than that it's a waste.

Oh yeah, I'm using Vista because this computer cost $200 and it came with Vista. 1 TB harddrive, 4 GB Ram, Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT, 2.66 GHz quad core. I know the graphics card may be a little "outdated" BUT it plays WoW, Team Fortress 2, any game I have on Steam, and any other game I have right now at max settings with no problems.

For $200 I have no complaints.
  • edited January 2011
    Well Windows 7 has a lot of the same features turned on by default that Vista has that slow down your computer. For example Indexing is on. What that does is it constantly searches through every file on your computer to see where they are. If you search for something (like a file name) it will pull up in just a couple of seconds, but that's a waste. How often do you have to search for files? You should turn that off.

Also, Windows Aero is on. That makes the windows have a semi transparent background which allows you to see behind the title bar. That looks cool but wastes graphics processing.

Another thing (don't remember what it's called) is Windows will look through your files and see what was the most recent change. It does it so if you transfer files over a home network it won't transfer the entire file again, only what's changed. Again, how often do you share files over a home network?

To tune your PC Google search "Win 7 performance tweaks" and follow some of the guides. There are so many things Windows does that just slow you down for no reason.
  • Win7x42
    Your operating systems intrigue me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
    Blarg finger failure, on my fancy Microsoft 4000, which is awesome but not for spamming some voicespam.

WIndows 7 Pro and upwards feature a full XP mode which just runs a virtual OS, if you have a modern cpu you wont notice any difference. Otherwise just dualboot XP and 7, it's very easy!