Tribes: Ascend

News Article: http://kotaku.com/#!5780971/our-first-fleeting-glimpse-of-the-new-tribes-game

Me = yes, but idk if it will be better than the series (hopefully the engine works well...)

Comments

• "The community has been waiting for a multi-player shooter that is the modern successor to T2. Tribes: Ascend is that game.”

I have to wonder what justified them to use Unreal instead of Torque.
  • Probably Torque being a terrible PoS.

Much like...oh, I'll just edit this myself before some admin gets to it.
  • 1. That trailer didn't show crap.
    2. It's easy to talk the talk (as most games do) but when it comes to the actual gameplay they ruin it
    3. Why switch engines?
    4. It's probably gonna be a dumbed down version of Tribes 2.

Not interested. Funny thing is all the websites I've seen talk about it, yet they don't mention that Tribes 2 is playable for free RIGHT NOW.
  • Funny thing is all the websites I've seen talk about it, yet they don't mention that Tribes 2 is playable for free RIGHT NOW.

They want to make a few bucks from a potential market.

But Tribes 2 doesn't need to be rebuilt or added onto. It only needs popularity.

What GG and Hi-Rez don't realize is that by advertising TribesNext they would reach out to a broader base.
  • I'm guessing this means that it'll be swamped by hardcore 6 year old Cod players.
  • edited March 2011
    Gadzooks, did anyone catch this in the various articles rolling around about the trailer?
    Hi-Rez Studios delivers this year with Tribes: Ascend, a downloadable game for Xbox 360 and PC.

If they're making this game multiplatform, I highly doubt they'll be giving the PC version any special attention. Don't get me wrong, the 360 has some good games, but games that are on both the 360 and the PC tend to be made for the console and then shoddily rushed to the PC.

I expect a crappy 360 port, complete with minimal to no customizability/scripting, dumbed down controls and inventory loadouts, and something stupid like Games for Windows Live being used for the matchmaking.

Oh, yeah, and forget about dedicated servers, too.
  • Gadzooks, did anyone catch this in the various articles rolling around about the trailer?
    Hi-Rez Studios delivers this year with Tribes: Ascend, a downloadable game for Xbox 360 and PC.

If they're making this game multiplatform, I highly doubt they'll be giving the PC version any special attention. Don't get me wrong, the 360 has some good games, but games that are on both the 360 and the PC tend to be made for the console and then shoddily rushed to the PC.

I expect a crappy 360 port, complete with minimal to no customizability/scripting, dumbed down controls and inventory loadouts, and something stupid like Games for Windows Live being used for the matchmaking.

Oh, yeah, and forget about dedicated servers, too.
    Exactly why I'm not planning on supporting this version on PC. It'll probably have a few maps and lack hardcore combat since it is planned on being a budget title.
  • this may be what its going to end up like:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BAM9fgV-ts

but i am going to remain hopefull that itll surprise me pleasantly
  • Unreal 3 makes cross-platform development incredibly easy. They could make the game work great on both platforms (and PS3 too, if they wanted) without much extra work.
  • Hmm, if anything the game will serve to give those Halo/CoD kiddies a taste of FPS+Z. I doubt it'll be as good as Tribes 2, but if the genre gets any lasting mainstream exposure at all I'd say mission accomplished.
  • When it comes out, I hope to try it (hopefully they'll put out a demo..)
  • Probably not. They'll just make you buy the game with no demo.
  • What GG and Hi-Rez don't realize is that by advertising TribesNext they would reach out to a broader base.

I really can't see why it'd be in their interest to. It certainly wouldn't hurt them, but it definitely isn't on marketings to-do list. Either way, TribesNext should start swelling for a short time (if it hasn't begun to already) with old fans catching wind of it because of the announcement.

The gameplay depth of Tribes was great on its own, but exponentially inflated by a fluke, a fluke that made the game the phenomena it is. The same goes for bunny hopping, rocket jumping, surfing, ect. The fact that they're aiming at creating a skill-intensive shooter bodes well, the fact that they're attempting to recreate a beloved (and often failed) franchise does not.

It's those world-changing flukes and gameplay mechanics that really reel people in, not typically the nostalgic rehashes. Another game that does what Team Fortress 2 did would make my year (maybe the next 4 if TF2 is any indication) but the odds are pretty well set against them.
  • What GG and Hi-Rez don't realize is that by advertising TribesNext they would reach out to a broader base.

I really can't see why it'd be in their interest to. It certainly wouldn't hurt them, but it definitely isn't on marketings to-do list. Either way, TribesNext should start swelling for a short time (if it hasn't begun to already) with old fans catching wind of it because of the announcement.

Tribes Acend and Tribes Universe doesn't have much of a fanbase. The only people who know the games exist are Tribes veterans and Planetside veterans. Plus hardly any content has been revealed for either game.

Even when the games come out, they'll most likely end up being anonymous games that won't go anywhere. On the other hand directing their visitors to TribesNext at least gives people a chance to see what the predecessor looks and plays like, rather than vague descriptions of "A next-generation return to the revolutionary series that changed all. The games that everyone's been waiting for."

I hope they won't botch it and let it become another ultra-niche game. I really hope they'll be able to achieve some mainstream success.
  • There actually is a down-side to advertising TribesNext for them. If the game is worse than Tribes 2, then some players who would have otherwise kept playing T:A might just play T2 instead.

If they advertise the game enough, I don't think there will be much of a problem with it gaining popularity. Almost all people who were gamers before about 2002 have heard of Tribes, even if they didn't play it. As lame as Halo is, it has slowly eased the mainstream tards into a game with a jetpack, so with any luck, the average gamer might be able to handle a Tribes game to some degree.
  • *cough* tribes 2 will still be the best *cough*
    Tissue? :D
  • Hi-Rez Studios Provides Prizes For Tribes 2: Ten Year Anniversary Tournament
    by Tribes Ascend on Thursday, March 24, 2011 at 10:44am

Hi-Rez Studios, developer of the upcoming Tribes: Ascend multiplayer FPS, will be providing prizes for the championship team in the Tribes 2: Ten Year Anniversary Tournament.

The project was initiated by a dedicated player and has blossomed into a full 240 player tournament. The tournament is currently in its third week and will continue for a total of eight weeks of Tribes 2 action. At the end of the eight weeks the winning team will be rewarded with Tribes: Ascend gear and an opportunity to participate in a private Q&A session with the Tribes: Ascend development team.

“This is a great opportunity to reward dedicated players of the Tribes franchise and gather valuable perspective from top tier players,” says Todd Harris, Hi-Rez Studios COO.

Hi-Rez representatives will be watching and attending games as the tournament progresses.

Adds Stew Chisam, Executive Producer of Tribes: Ascend, “We are excited to see how this plays out. We are preserving all the key elements of a Tribes game: most importantly frenetic pace and unparalleled maneuverability. And it will be interesting to see what nuances high-level players and teams most value as we continue to develop our successor title.”

“Despite being over a decade old, the Tribes franchise continues to have a dedicated following, and players both new and old are thrilled by the extent to which their passion is shared by the Tribes: Ascend team. We hope that this year will mark not just the anniversary of a legendary game, but the birth of a new one.” - Wormwood, Tribes 2: Ten Year Anniversary Tournament Administrator

Tournament updates and the winner will be announced so stay tuned and keep an eye out for Hi-Rez-tagged spectators in the upcoming weeks.
  • Hi-Rez Studios Provides Prizes For Tribes 2: Ten Year Anniversary Tournament
    by Tribes Ascend on Thursday, March 24, 2011 at 10:44am

Hi-Rez Studios, developer of the upcoming...
    WTF BBQ!!!
    Also, link source plz and thx

EDIT: Just saw it on their Facebook page.
  • LOL this is why I don't care for tournaments. Not once did I see news about it anywhere. How can it be some competitive tournament if only a certain group of people heard about it?
  • LOL this is why I don't care for tournaments. Not once did I see news about it anywhere. How can it be some competitive tournament if only a certain group of people heard about it?

It was advertised on TWL / Goon Haven / Tribes Next + the Goon Haven server + IRC #lastgasp #tribesnext #goonhaven

I think it was on TW too.

Where else are you needing it advertised?
  • Where else are you needing it advertised?
    The Moon?
    Or maybe a Tribes2/TribesNext signal we should flash in the sky of every major city!
  • Where else are you needing it advertised?
    The Moon?
    Or maybe a Tribes2/TribesNext signal we should flash in the sky of every major city!
    Already been done... in my town... :D
    Results of said signal not yet verified if worked or not.
  • maybe it should be advertised in a non Tribes related site....
    personally i'm a tribes 1 fan. so I just read about it right now....
  • Trying to stay on topic: Has anyone played there other game, Global Agenda? I'm thinking of downloading the trial and trying it out....
  • Trying to stay on topic: Has anyone played there other game, Global Agenda? I'm thinking of downloading the trial and trying it out....

I'm actually trying to save my money for Tribes:ascend and BF3
    ;)
  • edited April 2011
    Trying to stay on topic: Has anyone played there other game, Global Agenda? I'm thinking of downloading the trial and trying it out....

I'd recommend at least giving the trial a try. I like it a lot. You don't have the insane mobility you do in Tribes, and you will be spending more time on the ground in general, but you still have a jetpack and are often fighting in three dimensions. It reminded me quite a bit of Tribes even before HiRez got it, except with PvE in addition to PvP.

There are some RPG elements you may or may not like: classes, levels, level-restricted "weapons", skill trees, etc. I like that stuff though.

The game itself can be pretty cheap (and well-worth the price, IMO), as they are constantly putting it on sale for $10-$15.

As for Tribes: Ascend, no opinion until we have more information/the game is released. I think HiRez could make a decent Tribes game, though.

Edit: May as well mention that Global Agenda is now going to be made free to play with the next major patch (1.4), with some of the normal features unlocked for a one-time $20 fee.