A New-Old Player Speaking Out -LONG READ

I am sad to have tried my best to understand and hope for, when it comes to Starsiege Tribes games.

Starsiege: Tribes is a sci-fi first-person shooter video game. It is the first of the Tribes video game series and follows the story from Earthsiege and Starsiege. It was developed by Dynamix and published by the company now known as Sierra Entertainment in 1998.

A sequel, Tribes 2, was released in March 2001. Sierra licensed the franchise to Irrational Games for a third installment, Tribes: Vengeance, which was released in October 2004.

Vivendi Universal released Tribes and Tribes 2 for free on May 4, 2004 on a DVD-ROM with Computer Gaming World magazine and on FilePlanet, in order to promote the release Tribes: Vengeance.

Now, I played day one in 98 and I absolutely ENJOYED every second of it. The ever evolving, modding, and crazy skillz just rolled in and filled my tank. I truly believed this game to be 5-10 years before it's time, simply because no one could match it.

After I was just burnt out from 3 years of nonstop daily, Clan matches, etc etc... I stopped playing. I rejoined on the release of ST2 in 01. Again I was amazed and hooked. 2 more years of crazy fun and back outta the fire for me once again.

Now after a recent malfunction in one of my Graphics cards, I have decided to see if there is any hope for this game series because still to this day no other games have really captured this ones dynamic fast paced heart thumping action.

I decided I would come back a nooby, nublet, goonie, nubcake, whatever you may want to call me and to simply understand what the hours of reading, "...this games fails because of..." , " ...Elitists rule this game." , And so on and so on, I was gonna check it out for a week and send my feedback and honest non biased opinion on this games current conditions.

I asked myself 4 questions and gave each one a possible 0-25 as far as scoring goes with a lot of in depth thought and even a few recorded happenings. My findings are as follows.

1. What is the current playing population as well as servers.

The population at times will hit under 20 players on all 45 (or fewer) servers running.
Max population I have seen In a full 7 day week was around 60 total. Day - Saturday - Late night. I scored this as a surprising 5 out of 25, I was shocked to see T2 still had any sort of fanbase at all anymore after reading the random forums and even troll threads.

2. Has the skill level required back then been preserved to this day?

A simple Hell Yes. - 25 out of 25 Smiley-

3. What are my first thoughts on the current calibur of people playing at this time?

Now guys this one twisted me a lot, I want so much for this game and the new one on it's way to hold a place in this world forever, but to be honest on this one... The average players I meet while on several servers, are rude, unhelpful, unwelcoming, cocky, and just overall cheap and selfish. However few members of the current T2 community are nice and very helpful. The major factor in the scoring here comes from an Ironic equation...
The current mass of people playing daily, generally post about not having enough people on and being limited to the same old same old, random teams, no clans and blah blah, and yet that same batch of people are generally rude and very off-putting for the game.
5 out of 25.

4. What would have to change to make this game work?

I have tons of ideas on this and wish someone would contact me for more info on them or just to hear them for a mull moment. Servers are not being utilized efficiently to bring in the new players. You should definitely have a buffer before you throw new players into a map with players that can no scope snipe, and 4 mile range you with a mortar, not to mention the players who log on SO MUCH are able to MA you with little effort. 10 out of 25.

Totals = 45 out of 100. So that would be a 4.5 out of 10. This is my current personal rating
of the game in it's current state.

The current player base should definitely answer these questions themselves, and if you remain a rude, crude, lot... you must sleep in that bed you have made. Should the hard working server admins and Dev's and so on. I must say you are very patient and impressive human beings for keeping it alive and much respect to you all involved.

I hope you remaining players read this as a critique and not a demand or "you need to" kinda post. I haven't had this much fun in a FPS in a lonnnnng time guys, it brings back such awesome memories. You must get the MA's, and I have got to learn to how these cappers move so fast and accurate. But I won't push to learn and get back into this game if the continuous mean people remain elitist and rude.

BTW - To troll this thread will produce 2 things.
1. Your one of the mean players currently and feel called out, and so you show it...
2. I will ignore you lol. It certainly is nice to know that trolls do not have to be fed nor will they by me. So should you be seeking a simple troll session, I do believe Yahoo.com still has kiddie chat rooms.

SgtVindetta - In game - No Smurfs whatever that is lol. Day 8 of playing. I think I could help bring up the T2 Population again with a little bit of TLC from the current base of players.

Comments

• Well written, good points Sarge. I must say I think the majority of current T2 players are a good, fair lot; it is the few who "are rude, unhelpful, unwelcoming, cocky, and just overall cheap and selfish" that leave the lasting bad taste in our mouths and memories. I concur that "a little bit of TLC from the current base of players" would indeed go a long way toward improving the T2 population for the present Tribes game and also for the one-to-come..
  • War is Peace
  • Well written, good points Sarge. I must say I think the majority of current T2 players are a good, fair lot; it is the few who "are rude, unhelpful, unwelcoming, cocky, and just overall cheap and selfish" that leave the lasting bad taste in our mouths and memories. I concur that "a little bit of TLC from the current base of players" would indeed go a long way toward improving the T2 population for the present Tribes game and also for the one-to-come..

Thanks for the kudos, Glad to see some civility. I would love to see T2 Make a crazy comeback before the new one releases. The community I remember playing with in the start of Tribes 1 and 2, and the game-play itself are my fondest memories when It comes to a FPS. :)-
  • edited May 2011
    My fondest memories are people who create a new account on some forums to tell everyone some stupid secret that they want to share with the world, like they give Tribes 2 a 4.5 out of 10.

Also when people over use the word "current." BTW you used it 10 times.
  • my favorite part is where people ruin games for the rest of us

thanks HV, Rebels, and EWo
  • edited May 2011
    Well said. You hit the nail on the head.

I generally try to keep my head down, as I like to avoid ruining my own, or anyone else's day.

But you are right. I feel motivated to say my piece, (without naming names) so here goes. >:(

It's obvious to me that there are a lot of uber-veteran players around, and it seems as though a number of them don't care about tribes 2 making a comeback at all. These people have been here so long that they can't seem to realize T2 isn't what it used to be in terms of player base. They (the indifferent vets) appear as though they think tribes 2 isn't worth playing if you don't already love it. They don't have any interest in being civil because T2 is their game, as it has been since they started playing it. They still haven't recognized that T2 is a different beast, and that it is now for other kinds of people too, like noobs. On the other hand, I have seen other people who really believe that T2 can and should make a comeback. These people are either new players or the more open minded vets. These people see what tribes has become, (way, way smaller) and want to change all that, to make tribes great again. I support this view point, but it would take a collaborative community effort to get the work out and consistently welcome and support newcomers. I don’t buy that tribes is too old. There are so many different, awesome mods and different gameplay variations that the only thing preventing tribes 2 from being good enough for the average gamer is the lack of a sufficiently and consistently present player base to support a lively community. I mean, when’s the last time anyone posted anything about a scheduled game match or tournament consistently? There have been a couple tournaments recently but those are exceptions. I mean, I get filled with this sad feeling when I read the threads inviting people to sign up because they’re always filled with language like “this is the last time we’ll get to do this” or “relive the glory days!” Sounds like some middle aged, washed up shmucks talking about how they almost won a championship 20 years ago. I say, screw the glory days, lets make our own. The community that plays today is very different from the tribes 2 player base of yore. We should be focused on getting this game out (back) into the world, not talking about it on our rather quiet forums as if it’s going to die tomorrow.

RANT OVER.
    :P
  • My fondest memories are people who create a new account on some forums to tell everyone some stupid secret that they want to share with the world, like they give Tribes 2 a 4.5 out of 10.

Also when people over use the word "current." BTW you used it 10 times.
    He wasn't rating the game, he was rating his experience with it and it's community.
    Judging by your comment... he wasn't too far off, although I would have given it a higher rating regardless. At least the forum isn't so quiet now.
  • I haven't played in months. Got tired of trying to kick retards and it not passing, and they turn around and vote someone off for no reason and it passes. I also got tired of retards who deployed turrets and stations in a crevice to waste our time. And lastly all the in game bickering about who's a pro, who's a noob, who's a smurf, who's hacking, etc.
  • I haven't played in months. Got tired of trying to kick retards and it not passing, and they turn around and vote someone off for no reason and it passes. I also got tired of retards who deployed turrets and stations in a crevice to waste our time. And lastly all the in game bickering about who's a pro, who's a noob, who's a smurf, who's hacking, etc.
    I dunno about that, maybe you should come back...
    I can't recall the last time anyone got vote kicked for anything, and I play all the time. I can't think of the last time anybody went and did anything especially obnoxious. As far as in game bickering goes, I haven't seen any real conversation at all to be honest. I'm not calling you a liar, but perhaps things have changed since then.
  • Well said. You hit the nail on the head.

I generally try to keep my head down, as I like to avoid ruining my own, or anyone else's day.

But you are right. I feel motivated to say my piece, (without naming names) so here goes. >:(

It's obvious to me that there are a lot of uber-veteran players around, and it seems as though a number of them don't care about tribes 2 making a comeback at all. These people have been here so long that they can't seem to realize T2 isn't what it used to be in terms of player base. They (the indifferent vets) appear as though they think tribes 2 isn't worth playing if you don't already love it. They don't have any interest in being civil because T2 is their game, as it has been since they started playing it. They still haven't recognized that T2 is a different beast, and that it is now for other kinds of people too, like noobs. On the other hand, I have seen other people who really believe that T2 can and should make a comeback. These people are either new players or the more open minded vets. These people see what tribes has become, (way, way smaller) and want to change all that, to make tribes great again. I support this view point, but it would take a collaborative community effort to get the work out and consistently welcome and support newcomers. I don’t buy that tribes is too old. There are so many different, awesome mods and different gameplay variations that the only thing preventing tribes 2 from being good enough for the average gamer is the lack of a sufficiently and consistently present player base to support a lively community. I mean, when’s the last time anyone posted anything about a scheduled game match or tournament consistently? There have been a couple tournaments recently but those are exceptions. I mean, I get filled with this sad feeling when I read the threads inviting people to sign up because they’re always filled with language like “this is the last time we’ll get to do this” or “relive the glory days!” Sounds like some middle aged, washed up shmucks talking about how they almost won a championship 20 years ago. I say, screw the glory days, lets make our own. The community that plays today is very different from the tribes 2 player base of yore. We should be focused on getting this game out (back) into the world, not talking about it on our rather quiet forums as if it’s going to die tomorrow.

RANT OVER.
    :P

Well said. As for the troll type post .....
    Told ya :)-
  • I'd be rude and crude but these forums are full of nazi admins bent on nazi-editing/deleting my posts.

So here it is in a nutshell:

This is a vet's game - it's hard to learn to play and most players can't handle it. BubbleTrout and a few others are notable exceptions.

Average player playtime per day is on the rise and has been since two competition scumbags organized a tournament. None of the people that post here about their ideas to save the game actually ever contribute anything.
    http://t2stats.m-parsons.com/server.php

There are posts about tournaments, matches, and casts all the time. Mostly on TWL, but they also make their way to GH, TW, and TN. If you don't know about it, it's your own fault. They also get talked about and linked in IRC. Once again, the guys shelling out the time and money don't post here about their ideas to save the game, they just do it.
  • edited May 2011
    ...So what your saying here is, the extent of what needs to be done has been done. And simply put, newer player have no place in the Tribes game place?
    This is what I hear from you and other "Vets" as you like to call them. I to am A Vet of this game had you read fully. If you noticed or not, I do not know.

The fact is, I happen to have several connections to gaming communities and players, that have tried the game slowly gotten better in a few days of playing and then stopped all of a sudden because the "Vets" (again your label not mine) are rude and elitist...

With the gross amount of channels us gamers have compared to 1998-2004, there can be tons done by lets say... People like me who would love to help by spreading the word and setting up demos with different communities, could very easily utilize said channels these days to get a massive ball rolling on rebuilding this once EPIC game and community back to it's rightful place.

But yet again I have entered a few other servers I have noticed 3-6 players joining only said servers... So i stroll in to check out the mod, and try out the maps, and rude players again harass and make fun of someone for not knowing what every single item in the mod does.
    I mean really you "Vets" need to understand a basic rule in life... "You were also a baby, at one time in your life." "You pro players have not always been pro, all gamers are noobs until they put in the face time and playing hours". What I am trying to get across is EVEN if I am the best at something, I still wouldn't like to play solo. I make efforts in teaching new players because chances are they could be better then me one day and help another member of that gaming community and the cycle would continue.

I am sad to see negativity arise in this thread as you obviously have only 1 agenda in life to do so. Make someone else miserable, or simply to be rude. As I do not consider your post a troll in this thread I welcome you to refine your ideas Into a bit more empathetic setting rather then "Vets rule this game and everyone else is all talk" Type of feel. Thanks for your feedback non the less.

BTW no Vets, or anyone for that matter has tried to contact me for the ideas I had to bring in the new bloods and perhaps rally some of the older ones. I would not be responding to you If I had no intentions of helping where I could.
  • But yet again I have entered a few other servers I have noticed 3-6 players joining only said servers... So i stroll in to check out the mod, and try out the maps, and rude players again harass and make fun of someone for not knowing what every single item in the mod does.
    I mean really you "Vets" need to understand a basic rule in life... "You were also a baby, at one time in your life." "You pro players have not always been pro, all gamers are noobs until they put in the face time and playing hours". What I am trying to get across is EVEN if I am the best at something, I still wouldn't like to play solo. I make efforts in teaching new players because chances are they could be better then me one day and help another member of that gaming community and the cycle would continue.
    Vets don't play MODs.
    BTW no Vets, or anyone for that matter has tried to contact me for the ideas I had to bring in the new bloods and perhaps rally some of the older ones. I would not be responding to you If I had no intentions of helping where I could.
    Are you going to help pay for community file hosting on TN, Kryand's site, or Sphinx's site?
    Are you going to pay for servers like GH?
    Are you going to subsidize T2 like Brandon?
    Are you going to pay for Craig's hosting or help him cast?
    Are you going to help Thyth finish TN?
    Are you going to write administrative tools like Eolk?
    Are you going to continue development on the T2 Stats system?
    Are you going to develop good server-side maps?
    Are you going to organize a tournament like Tootz & Wormwood (aka DS Jr. & Wormtongue)?
    Are you going to administer competition like Celios and Acclaim?

If you can't answer "yes" to at least one of those questions, it is likely that no one involved with keeping T2 alive is terribly interested in your ideas. You have to contribute something to have any sort of legitimacy with the community. You can't just come in here and tell us you have great ideas, and we are bad people because we didn't come crawling to you begging that you enlighten our feeble minds.
  • terribly terrible
  • I don't know where these guys are finding all of these "rude vets". Almost every vet I know is glad to offer help to new players who ask for it, and a few (such as myself, Darkstrand, Fling, Tarzul and more) have gone way out of their way to help new players improve on previous occasions.
  • But yet again I have entered a few other servers I have noticed 3-6 players joining only said servers... So i stroll in to check out the mod, and try out the maps, and rude players again harass and make fun of someone for not knowing what every single item in the mod does.
    Vets don't play MODs.
    Are you going to help pay for community file hosting on TN, Kryand's site, or Sphinx's site?
    Are you going to pay for servers like GH?
    Are you going to subsidize T2 like Brandon?
    Are you going to pay for Craig's hosting or help him cast?
    Are you going to help Thyth finish TN?
    Are you going to write administrative tools like Eolk?
    Are you going to continue development on the T2 Stats system?
    Are you going to develop good server-side maps?
    Are you going to organize a tournament like Tootz & Wormwood (aka DS Jr. & Wormtongue)?
    Are you going to administer competition like Celios and Acclaim?

If you can't answer "yes" to at least one of those questions, it is likely that no one involved with keeping T2 alive is terribly interested in your ideas. You have to contribute something to have any sort of legitimacy with the community. You can't just come in here and tell us you have great ideas, and we are bad people because we didn't come crawling to you begging that you enlighten our feeble minds.

Your the type of person who would ask questions should a honestly good person just walk up to you and offer help. You would need to know if the help your receiving is it, or is there more you can milk out of it. You and people like you are the reason for many failures, No I don't know the names of the people keeping this game afloat, in fact from my post you should have gathered that, as I never dropped any names. But Seeing how I know exactly how your kind react to anything a person could ever say whether virtuous or trolling, I will stop here as far as my care for this game has gone perhaps you can inform through your own personal thread, No Help At All from anybody will be appreciated, considered, or otherwise cared for. Enjoy the rest of your sad elitist life as I will pursue helping gamers in this gamer generation, and perhaps you will develop an unstretchable itch in the knowledge that people like you mean very little to me, or anyone else with strong care in anything that they pursue.

Don't bother re-posting as I could care less to help if you indeed are the caliber of the average person who read such posts offering help. Thanks for making it easy to confirm my rating as far as the people remaining in this community go. BTW should you not be a total know it all azz with a strong urge to troll your own gaming community with nothing but negativity, this is not directed at you. :)

"To blame a man/woman for trying, to shun a fellow human for doing rite... These are the things that kill communities." - SgtVindetta.
    BTW as a college student I have plenty of time...

to help pay for community file hosting on TN, Kryand's site, or Sphinx's site?
    to pay for servers like GH?
    to subsidize T2 like Brandon?
    to pay for Craig's hosting or help him cast?
    to help Thyth finish TN?
    to write administrative tools like Eolk?
    to continue development on the T2 Stats system?
    to develop good server-side maps?
    to organize a tournament like Tootz & Wormwood (aka DS Jr. & Wormtongue)?
    to administer competition like Celios and Acclaim?

But seeing how These people simply pour all this help into a community that the average person is like "you" my friend I will pass on the helping part. Congrats I no longer have the urge to help. Have a good one.
  • I don't know where these guys are finding all of these "rude vets". Almost every vet I know is glad to offer help to new players who ask for it, and a few (such as myself, Darkstrand, Fling, Tarzul and more) have gone way out of their way to help new players improve on previous occasions.

Perhaps noticing rudeness isn't your forte... or perhaps you yourself practice in said routines that drive away new players, hard to see others doing wrong when you do the same.

Any-who you guys on here have made it clear. No helpers needed, the game is just fine. Got it.
  • inb4 lock

Your contribution is great. You should feel proud of this achievement. I mean the ability to troll so efficiently. So glad there aren't millions of your kinds all across every MMO/FPS/RPG online community all over... Wait.... never mind my mistake.

Again I get the picture no help yadda yadda, My Graphics card is on the way back I'll just get back to games that won't fail due to fan base. Take the easy way out you know?
  • If that's all it takes to chase you away, then you obviously came here just to complain and not to help anyone. I've seen plenty of people like you come and go, and that's all you do. You come, and then you go, but not without trying to convince everyone that the reason you're leaving is all their fault. Sorry, but it's not. People like you don't stick around to support anything. You just run away and try to make others feel bad about it.

No one in this thread (aside from the random one-liners) did anything but try to push you to put your money where your mouth is, and actually do something rather than just talk about it. But instead, you act like it's some sort of personal attack and retaliate with your own personal attacks. Yeah, that's real mature.

I just want to make one thing clear to anyone who's confused about sgtvindetta's posts. sgtvindetta never had any intention of helping this game. He planned on quitting from the time he made his first post. He just wanted to offer to help, so that when he over-reacts to the first person to ask him to make good on his offer, he can quit and say things like "congrats I no longer have the urge to help". That way, he can try to make us feel bad as though we lost something valuable when he quit. But the truth is, we didn't.
  • i call smurf check
  • Perhaps I overstepped my bounds (I was slightly mad), and perhaps, so did Sgt Vendetta, although I can't justifiably speak for him. But, say what you will about this thread, and T2 in general, the fact that Sgt Vendetta got such a negative impression of TribesNext and it's community says something, call him a troll, call him whatever, so long as he was and is being genuine, and I believe he is, his opinion probably isn't far off from what the average person might think. I can't lie, these forums aren't terribly exciting or overly welcoming places for a potential noob to peruse. Now that I think about it, I kind of hope the admins remove this thread. I wouldn't want any potential new players to read this thread and think, "man, I don't want to play this game, all the players are angry all the time", or something to that effect. Suffice to say, there is room for improvement. Obviously, it wouldn't be fair to hold the illustrious and loosely defined "vets" up to a ridiculous standard and demand that "they" empty their wallets and dedicate their lives to advertising the game. All the same, I think the advertising of the game and organization of matches and tournaments deserves a more obvious representation. Like permanent threads( or more regular posts ). Thats what I think anyway. This community could stand to be more obviously active. :P
  • inb4 lock

Your contribution is great. You should feel proud of this achievement. I mean the ability to troll so efficiently. So glad there aren't millions of your kinds all across every MMO/FPS/RPG online community all over... Wait.... never mind my mistake.

Again I get the picture no help yadda yadda, My Graphics card is on the way back I'll just get back to games that won't fail due to fan base. Take the easy way out you know?

Hmm..that's odd. I could swear this was going to turn in a flame war, and guess what? It did, and yes, it is a great achievement for me to be in this thread before it's locked, if you really want to think so. I have absolutely no idea where you got the trolling part from but now I suspect that you may actually be a troll since you defend your dick size at my 2 word comment.

Kinda funny, since i supported you with the rude vets part(the only guy who agreed with you in this thread and was honest about it), you should know that :
    a)You are a troll
    b)You are just like everyone who you are talking about

But i will choose A of course
    It sounds to me like he's just frustrated. :-\ Could be this thread just got out of hand.
  • Like we said, you can't make a post and give Tribes 2 a 4.5 out of 10 b/c you think the community is bad. Share your idea to make Tribes 2 better. You don't have to keep it to yourself.
  • All the same, I think the advertising of the game and organization of matches and tournaments deserves a more obvious representation. Like permanent threads( or more regular posts ). Thats what I think anyway. This community could stand to be more obviously active. :P
    There are posts about tournaments, matches, and casts all the time. Mostly on TWL, but they also make their way to GH, TW, and TN. If you don't know about it, it's your own fault. They also get talked about and linked in IRC. Once again, the guys shelling out the time and money don't post here about their ideas to save the game, they just do it.
    Sometimes it even gets posted on reddit and other sites like that.

But, say what you will about this thread, and T2 in general, the fact that Sgt Vendetta got such a negative impression of TribesNext and it's community says something, call him a troll, call him whatever, so long as he was and is being genuine, and I believe he is, his opinion probably isn't far off from what the average person might think.
    If he was being genuine, then I'm glad he left. We don't need people like him (people that aren't willing to help in any way, but want to be in-charge and give others orders).
    Now that I think about it, I kind of hope the admins remove this thread. I wouldn't want any potential new players to read this thread and think, "man, I don't want to play this game, all the players are angry all the time", or something to that effect.
    I think people were realistic, not mad or mean.

Let's go over the thread:
    * Some guy nobody has ever heard of shows up
    * He tells us he rates us 4.5 out of 10
    * He tells us that he has ideas to save Tribes, all we have to do is have some notable people contact him and petition that he share his ideas with us (for us to then use to save the game)
    * Various people point out things he may not have considered
    * He makes some angry insulting post
    * I ask if he is going to help
    * He gets mad, insults everyone, and quits
  • I am sad to have tried my best to understand and hope for, when it comes to Starsiege Tribes games.

Starsiege: Tribes is a sci-fi first-person shooter video game. It is the first of the Tribes video game series and follows the story from Earthsiege and Starsiege. It was developed by Dynamix and published by the company now known as Sierra Entertainment in 1998.

A sequel, Tribes 2, was released in March 2001. Sierra licensed the franchise to Irrational Games for a third installment, Tribes: Vengeance, which was released in October 2004.

Vivendi Universal released Tribes and Tribes 2 for free on May 4, 2004 on a DVD-ROM with Computer Gaming World magazine and on FilePlanet, in order to promote the release Tribes: Vengeance.

Now, I played day one in 98 and I absolutely ENJOYED every second of it. The ever evolving, modding, and crazy skillz just rolled in and filled my tank. I truly believed this game to be 5-10 years before it's time, simply because no one could match it.

After I was just burnt out from 3 years of nonstop daily, Clan matches, etc etc... I stopped playing. I rejoined on the release of ST2 in 01. Again I was amazed and hooked. 2 more years of crazy fun and back outta the fire for me once again.

Now after a recent malfunction in one of my Graphics cards, I have decided to see if there is any hope for this game series because still to this day no other games have really captured this ones dynamic fast paced heart thumping action.

I decided I would come back a nooby, nublet, goonie, nubcake, whatever you may want to call me and to simply understand what the hours of reading, "...this games fails because of..." , " ...Elitists rule this game." , And so on and so on, I was gonna check it out for a week and send my feedback and honest non biased opinion on this games current conditions.

I asked myself 4 questions and gave each one a possible 0-25 as far as scoring goes with a lot of in depth thought and even a few recorded happenings. My findings are as follows.

1. What is the current playing population as well as servers.

The population at times will hit under 20 players on all 45 (or fewer) servers running.
    Max population I have seen In a full 7 day week was around 60 total. Day - Saturday - Late night. I scored this as a surprising 5 out of 25, I was shocked to see T2 still had any sort of fanbase at all anymore after reading the random forums and even troll threads.

2. Has the skill level required back then been preserved to this day?

A simple Hell Yes. - 25 out of 25 Smiley-

3. What are my first thoughts on the current calibur of people playing at this time?

Now guys this one twisted me a lot, I want so much for this game and the new one on it's way to hold a place in this world forever, but to be honest on this one... The average players I meet while on several servers, are rude, unhelpful, unwelcoming, cocky, and just overall cheap and selfish. However few members of the current T2 community are nice and very helpful. The major factor in the scoring here comes from an Ironic equation...
    The current mass of people playing daily, generally post about not having enough people on and being limited to the same old same old, random teams, no clans and blah blah, and yet that same batch of people are generally rude and very off-putting for the game.
    5 out of 25.

4. What would have to change to make this game work?

I have tons of ideas on this and wish someone would contact me for more info on them or just to hear them for a mull moment. Servers are not being utilized efficiently to bring in the new players. You should definitely have a buffer before you throw new players into a map with players that can no scope snipe, and 4 mile range you with a mortar, not to mention the players who log on SO MUCH are able to MA you with little effort. 10 out of 25.

Totals = 45 out of 100. So that would be a 4.5 out of 10. This is my current personal rating
    of the game in it's current state.

The current player base should definitely answer these questions themselves, and if you remain a rude, crude, lot... you must sleep in that bed you have made. Should the hard working server admins and Dev's and so on. I must say you are very patient and impressive human beings for keeping it alive and much respect to you all involved.

I hope you remaining players read this as a critique and not a demand or "you need to" kinda post. I haven't had this much fun in a FPS in a lonnnnng time guys, it brings back such awesome memories. You must get the MA's, and I have got to learn to how these cappers move so fast and accurate. But I won't push to learn and get back into this game if the continuous mean people remain elitist and rude.

BTW - To troll this thread will produce 2 things.
    1. Your one of the mean players currently and feel called out, and so you show it...
    2. I will ignore you lol. It certainly is nice to know that trolls do not have to be fed nor will they by me. So should you be seeking a simple troll session, I do believe Yahoo.com still has kiddie chat rooms.

SgtVindetta - In game - No Smurfs whatever that is lol. Day 8 of playing. I think I could help bring up the T2 Population again with a little bit of TLC from the current base of players.

just highlighted a few lines that didn't make sense. you could probably work on your grammar or at least proofread your longer posts; it might help get your points across better.

that said, it sounds like you dislike taunts and rude players saying things in game. i have 2 solutions that may work for you. press escape in game and right click a name to mute them; and listen to enjoyable music while playing to keep a positive momentum. usually i listen to streaming music on the computer, and honestly these days it's hard to play without it.

all i can say is, don't let something said to you affect you so much. maybe they got the best of you a few times, just chalk it up to a bad day and move on.
  • All the same, I think the advertising of the game and organization of matches and tournaments deserves a more obvious representation. Like permanent threads( or more regular posts ). Thats what I think anyway. This community could stand to be more obviously active. :P
    Sometimes it even gets posted on reddit and other sites like that.

But, say what you will about this thread, and T2 in general, the fact that Sgt Vendetta got such a negative impression of TribesNext and it's community says something, call him a troll, call him whatever, so long as he was and is being genuine, and I believe he is, his opinion probably isn't far off from what the average person might think.
    If he was being genuine, then I'm glad he left. We don't need people like him (people that aren't willing to help in any way, but want to be in-charge and give others orders).
    Now that I think about it, I kind of hope the admins remove this thread. I wouldn't want any potential new players to read this thread and think, "man, I don't want to play this game, all the players are angry all the time", or something to that effect.
    I think people were realistic, not mad or mean.

Let's go over the thread:
    * Some guy nobody has ever heard of shows up
    * He tells us he rates us 4.5 out of 10
    * He tells us that he has ideas to save Tribes, all we have to do is have some notable people contact him and petition that he share his ideas with us (for us to then use to save the game)
    * Various people point out things he may not have considered
    * He makes some angry insulting post
    * I ask if he is going to help
    * He gets mad, insults everyone, and quits
    Perhaps so. Regardless, I think a "welcome new players" thread is needed. Something really obvious. Maybe that's the real moral of the story. Oh well.
  • After reviewing the contents of this thread something miraculous happened. My point of view is aligned with Kryand's. This player had no intention of contributing any help. In the extremely unlikely event that I am wrong(not likely), the OP is free to try to prove me wrong by offering concrete real legitimate authentic help in the form of *real help*.
  • I just jumped back into this game for the first time in a long time and I was happy how well it has been kept alive. Thank you to all the server hosts etc.
  • Even after my wanting to help with running a new server. which was shot down by trolls before I could get so help or ideas from the community. I went ahead and continued playing to make new videos for the game as a promotion tool to get my rift and wow buddies on over. I now have recordings of, the "Vets" doing what they do best. Including but not limited to, stacking against newer players in arenas, base rape a holics in ctf (they still lose the match most of the time lol) Oh and even your own teamates will trap u inside the stations while you change out armor/weaps/ or heal then teamkill you.... then vote you off. And the sad thing is 40+ see this...
    Sgtvindetta's was TEAMKILLED by suchnsuch. (you know who you are kidz)
    Suchnsuch Votes to kick Sgtvindetta.