Tribes Ascend = hacks even before release

And apparently Hi-Rez is trying to cover it up by deleting posts about it in the beta forum...

http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642504

Comments

• I've actually seen some people with speed hacks. It's insane but I think that's what happens when you use a well known game engine, people will know how to exploit them.
  • Wow. Hacked even before release.

That's one hell of a PR hit for Hi-Rez.
  • I THINK I KNOW WHOS UP TO THIS.
    the blank name guy,ive seen him on tribes vengeance, since they both run the unreal engine you can easily speedhack, i seen that guy run around all day dodging attacks and going upside and super fast as a heavy!
  • It's insane but I think that's what happens when you use a well known game engine, people will know how to exploit them.
    It's insane that a well known engine can be so badly designed that speed hacks are even possible. I had to investigate how they worked.

Seems like hooking the Performance Counter API in Windows (IAT in usermode, or via kernel mode), and changing the visible time rate for the client game creates a working speed hack (50 lines of code). I don't understand how Epic could have included such a massive design flaw in an engine, and not fixed it in the 13 years since Unreal. Much less, how companies can continue to buy this engine and not fix it.

The armory of hitscan weapons makes autoaimers in this game much more effective than they ever were in T2. Doing ballistic trajectory calculations and predictions to autoaim non-hitscan weapons requires some pretty sophisticated mathematics (e.g. Kalman filters to predict the future, and some calculus to solve for minima).

Doing calculations to aim hitscan weapons is seventh grade trigonometry.

This stuff is pretty blatant, and is liable to be detected pretty easily, but with the design of the weapons, more subtle variants are going to be a serious problem for HiRez.
  • I don't understand how Epic could have included such a massive design flaw in an engine, and not fixed it in the 13 years since Unreal. Much less, how companies can continue to buy this engine and not fix it.
    There has to be a reason. And I'm guessing it has to do with how their engine is coded... but still, with this design flaw making games so exploitable should have thrown a red flag at Epic.
  • Can we thank Tim Sweeny?
  • This is why hitscan should have only been limited to bad FPS, not quality ones like Tribes (you have to admit, most tribes games, save for Vengeance, were better than most any FPS games during their time).

And now, with hitscan making it's way into the Tribes series, it was only a matter of time before people were able to abuse it like it was their bitch.

I hope Tribes: Ascend lets third parties host their own servers at some point, because after seeing this, I don't think many people will put their faith in HiRez's coding.

Even Mojang has better coders than them right now.
  • From HiRezStew:
    We've already banned scores of cheaters, nearly all through automatic detection. We continue to strengthen and improve our anti-cheat mechanisms each week -- and utlize a variety of techniques, not just one, to help identify and eliminate cheaters.

Many cheaters have been banned within the first match they joined (although others are banned at random intervals following detection).

The anti-cheat tools in this game will be state of the art, multi-faceted and better than or on par with probably any shooter on the market.

That said, 100% automatic detection is probably not possible. Unfortunately, the world is full of assholes.

So spectator mode, demo mode, votekick and improved "cheat reporting" features are coming very soon, which will give the community better ways to help weed out cheaters as well. Private servers will have additional self-policing features.

We treat this subject seriously.
    http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=629424#p629424
  • The cat and mouse games begin.

I'm brimming with confidence...
  • And so they do... I wonder how quickly they will find ways to bypass those checks (if they already haven't).
  • And so they do... I wonder how quickly they will find ways to bypass those checks (if they already haven't).
    in time, my friend, in time...
  • The cat and mouse games begin.

I'm brimming with confidence...

I am totally on the edge of my chair, too...
  • New member here. I love T2 but haven't played it in years because I had no idea this community was here maintaining it! I have hopes for Tribes Ascend. Just wanted to point out...

NEWS FLASH: ***In the most recent Tribes Ascend patch, they changed all hitscan weapons to true projectiles.***

It's like they're watching O.O
  • except the pistols

someone mentioned that they saw someone get 40 kills in a round with just the pistol