newbies should play dangerous crossing more often

dangerous crossing is probably one of the most fun, chaotic, but also useful maps for beginners. Why? It teaches newbies a valuble lesson: you win by going offense. DX is also great because it teaches this in a brutally effective manner; everyone's been a part of the team that doesn't go offense, and it's not pretty. It usually ends up with 20 people running around like they just got their heads cut off in spawn gear. If players learn how to HO and go offense, however, it's one of the most enjoyable and action-packed maps around.

Comments

• Hey man if it's not fun then you should let people stay terrible. Who cares that the game gets exponentially more fun the better you are at it.
  • dangerous crossing is probably one of the most fun, chaotic, but also useful maps for beginners. Why? It teaches newbies a valuble lesson: you win by going offense. DX is also great because it teaches this in a brutally effective manner; everyone's been a part of the team that doesn't go offense, and it's not pretty. It usually ends up with 20 people running around like they just got their heads cut off in spawn gear. If players learn how to HO and go offense, however, it's one of the most enjoyable and action-packed maps around.

Is this sarcasm again ?
  • Unfortunately, there are too many players that insist that a strong LD presence by the flag stand is the key and/or putting out all the deployable equipment in the flag area. Good luck convincing them otherwise.
  • dangerous crossing is probably one of the most fun, chaotic, but also useful maps for beginners. Why? It teaches newbies a valuble lesson: you win by going offense. DX is also great because it teaches this in a brutally effective manner; everyone's been a part of the team that doesn't go offense, and it's not pretty. It usually ends up with 20 people running around like they just got their heads cut off in spawn gear. If players learn how to HO and go offense, however, it's one of the most enjoyable and action-packed maps around.

Is this sarcasm again ?
    no. it's the truth
  • While I can agree, we still play DX way too often.
  • i think dx is like the only map in t2 that you cant play too often
  • A strong offense is always good but you need some defense aswell :S
    Like you sayd in some other post... 3-4 out of 7 players should have a defensive position. Even @ dangerous crossing you need someone who's keeping the flag on the stand.

I wouldnt say that you win by going offense or staying defensive. The importance of offense and defense depends totaly of the map that's played.
  • edited February 2009
    I guess some folks think duelling the whole map is the way to go. IMO on a map like "Dangerous Crossing", light defence and turret farming aint gonna get it (defensively). Unless your turreting ski routes a bit away from the flag (not sure why folks dont!). However, I bet such would bring on a rash of complaints about openfield turrets. ::)

I personally prefer mortar for that map. Mortaring the flag makes you an almost "must"
    to deal with, in order to get the flag. Therefore the other team likey must coordinate a run for the flag. Rather than just ski in and ski out.

Orly? How would you feel about a "DX only" V2... err Classic only server! lol

P.S. That was a pun... or was it? o.0
  • the most important position is cloaking under the bridge to lance incoming HO. where did you people learn to play? I believe it's called the billy goats gruff tactic.
    I personally perfer mortar for that map. Mortaring the flag makes you an almost "must"
    to deal with, in order to get the flag. Therefore the other team likey must coordinate a run for the flag. Rather than just ski in and ski out.

mortar spam flag d can be very effective on many maps. but it will never work in a pub, especially on dx. for it to work, your team has to agree to not get near the flag when yer spammin. considering there are 2 main invs right ontop of the flag, it requires 100% compliance. you will never get this kind of coop in a pub, or even match play without voice coms.

im looking to re-build an old clan of mine, thats managed to hang around since before tv came out. if anyone is interested in getting together for some amazingly fun properly coordinated team play, stop by www.migcrew.com and leave a message.

i havent made official announcements on site yet, but i am very serious about building a t2 team again for some twl ladder match comp play. mig is already signed up, all we need now is some newblood 'n to notify some old buddies of whats goin on. come check us out.

-moto

Orly? How would you feel about a "DX only" V2... err Classic only server! lol

P.S. That was a pun... or was it? o.0

There's a challenge.

We'd have to modify DX so it has a V-PAD. Unless you don't want to shrike launch yourself into a decent capping speed?

However, I agree. Very good learning map. Dedicated DX would be much better than Katabatic anyday! The play style changes with the quanity of players; better when learning.
    I personally perfer mortar for that map. Mortaring the flag makes you an almost "must"

mortar spam flag d can be very effective on many maps. but it will never work in a pub, especially on dx. for it to work, your team has to agree to not get near the flag when yer spammin. considering there are 2 main invs right ontop of the flag, it requires 100% compliance. you will never get this kind of coop in a pub, or even match play without voice coms.
    No.

Under no circumstance should you defend the flag with a mortar on any remotely decent map. In fact, if a map exists where it actually is an effective idea to defend it by spamming mortars, that would definitely be perfect criteria to label that map as a ridiculous piece of crap.

The correct way to defend the flag on DX is with a HoF.

No.

Under no circumstance should you defend the flag with a mortar on any remotely decent map. In fact, if a map exists where it actually is an effective idea to defend it by spamming mortars, that would definitely be perfect criteria to label that map as a ridiculous piece of crap.

Agreed... on all points! IMO mortaring your own assets is ridiculous. The only time it's almost effective is with team damage being off, and even then you risk causing a tremendous amount of UE's!

Lastly... it's just wrong; because of the amount of TK's, denial of your own assets, the fact that if you rely on mortars you will allow your flag to be taken and that a good capper is gonna be long gone, just makes it useless!

No.

I do what works for me. As I said IMO mortar is my answer, illreguardless of what someone else believes to be "The correct way".
  • I will agree Having a HOF is the correct way to protect the flag in match play.In a pub server with around 20 people throwing mortars in your base at a time its not practical at all.Still it is wise to go mostly O with light D as chasers for flag cappers.
  • I will agree Having a HOF is the correct way to protect the flag in match play.In a pub server with around 20 people throwing mortars in your base at a time its not practical at all.Still it is wise to go mostly O with light D as chasers for flag cappers.
    There are never anywhere near that many people at your base at a time. In fact, a HoF will probably receive more pressure in a 7v7 match than in a 60 player game of Goon Haven.
  • Maybe a lot of them are expecting an HPB pickup to the enemy base. ;D HO ski baby and take those suckers out.
    There are never anywhere near that many people at your base at a time. In fact, a HoF will probably receive more pressure in a 7v7 match than in a 60 player game of Goon Haven.

LD is usually hot on the tail of the enemy HO; many die before they get within 100 meters of the base. Most will station somewhere and spam attracting LD. Mortars are all over the place; mostly outside the base, but usually only a couple actually make it in due to LD pressure. So yeah suprising as it is, I agree with Kry again. :o
  • dangerous crossing is probably one of the most fun, chaotic, but also useful maps for beginners. Why? It teaches newbies a valuble lesson: you win by going offense.
    DX is also great because it teaches this in a brutally effective manner; everyone's been a part of the team that doesn't go offense, and it's not pretty. It usually ends up with 20 people running around like they just got their heads cut off in spawn gear. If players learn how to HO and go offense, however, it's one of the most enjoyable and action-packed maps around.

This would all be well and good if the newbies would understand and pick this curical bit of info up when playing on DX and getting raped. Sadly if anything, experience has shown that this usually isn't the case though.

DX is probably one of my favourite maps when the teams are even and you got semi-experienced players on both sides - Sadly, on a server like Goon Haven that's more the exception than the rule.
    What usually ends up happening is that the two-three top-tier players/HOs currently on the server by chance end up on the same team, and that's all it's gonna take to completely shut down the opposing team and turn the game into a gigantic rapefest, even in a high-population game, simply because most of the players on the opposing team have no idea how to even try to get out of a situation where you're getting overrun and raped, leading to the "headless chicken" syndrome.

I'd play defense/support way more on DX just to keep the train going if there just was a way I could be sure that someone takes my spot on the offensive and that my team wouldn't be out 50-20% of its offensive power if I decide not to HO. You also know that when someone my skill level is the top-scoring HO on your team that something, somewhere, has gone terribly, terribly wrong in the game :V.