UE's when joining servers

Have had this problem for quite some time (months) :-[

Get an unhandled exception when attempting to join a server. This does not happen 100% of the time, but it always happens at the same point: right at the moment I try to join a game. The negative results are either a UE or the 'replay attack attempt' message. Overall, I seem to be successful in about 20% of my connection attempts.

Things I have tried:
-clean reinstalls (3 times)
-updating graphics drivers directly from nVidia
-setting core affinity to 1 or 2
-manually changing from OpenGL to D3D (in this case, I can join a game, but immediately get a different UE as soon as I spawn)
-deleting .DSO files
-override script
-downloading new IRC client
-running game in windowed mode
-running with lower graphics settings/no vertex lighting/etc
-probably forgetting other things here...

System specs:
-Vista Ultimate 32bit
-Athlon 64 X2 5200+ (2.6GHz)
-3GB DDR2 RAM
-GeForce 9500GT 1GB DDR2 (formerly driver version 8.17.0011.9621 from 01/12/2010, currently 8.17.0011.9713 from 3/16/2010)
-DirectX 11

Searched through 27 pages of threads, and as far as I could tell, this thread most clearly mirrors my situation (though I most certainly do not live in the UAE):
http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=1495.0

Comments

• The conclusion from that thread was that the user's ISP was manipulating the connection that was tripping the network origin security code. The game is fickle about aborting a connection attempt halfway through, which is why the UE occurs so frequently when the system aborts.

Did you try the client side security override script I posted as a possible solution?
  • Yep. No dice :'(

On this computer, I am connected to a campus network and have a dynamic IP address.
  • I find this to happen much more often when a server is changing maps and I try to join.
  • Installing that script should completely eliminate the "Server sent back unreasonable IP challenge source. Possible replay attack attempt." message. It's a version of the client authentication function that doesn't perform that check.
  • Double checked, and it turns out the file was saved as a .txt

Corrected this and immediately joined a game with no issue. However, as I mentioned earlier, I do hit streaks where I can successfully join regardless.

If I don't see this error for at least a few days, I will be satisfied. If not, I will post here again.

Thanks.
  • That error seems to be gone, but I got one of these today:
    t2error.jpg

Guessing it's not something specific to T2, but other than that... ?
  • Miles is referring to the Milesfast audio api, the sound system t2 uses. Try messing with the various sound controls in the game. And delete all dsos.
  • Fatal-ISVs are rare, but they do happen from time to time.
  • That specific error seems to indicate that more than one thread was accessing the sound system. Reentrant functions are ones that can be activated simultaneously from different threads without corrupting the state of the program, and the audio system is not, leading to this crash.

This is probably a rare race condition and it probably won't happen to you again.