Porting Tribes 2 to the upgraded Torque engine?

2»

Comments

• Evidently a lot of features were stripped out of Torque that were in the version of the engine used for T2, so, in many ways, Torque is a downgrade.
    Miles = replaced by OpenAL
    WON = removed, could be replaced
    Immersion = did anyone use this?

As far as scripting goes they consolidated most of the GUI controls. A move to TGEA would give us new eye candy, future upgrade possibilities, and years of scripting goodies developed since T2's release not possible with the current engine.

If... people can recode the missing projectile types, fix vehicle support (which is borderline working in TGEA 1.8), forcefields, jetting, sensor networking, command console, other various special effects... then sure! We can have a shiny new Tribes 2!
  • Then why don't we lol. We can put up a team and do this.
  • Yes, Legends uses the Torque Game Engine, as does Ascension (renwerx), and so does Legions...none of which have quite the same feel as Tribes 2.
    Ascension isn't out, still being developed.
  • Evidently a lot of features were stripped out of Torque that were in the version of the engine used for T2, so, in many ways, Torque is a downgrade.
    Miles = replaced by OpenAL
    WON = removed, could be replaced
    Immersion = did anyone use this?

As far as scripting goes they consolidated most of the GUI controls. A move to TGEA would give us new eye candy, future upgrade possibilities, and years of scripting goodies developed since T2's release not possible with the current engine.

If... people can recode the missing projectile types, fix vehicle support (which is borderline working in TGEA 1.8), forcefields, jetting, sensor networking, command console, other various special effects... then sure! We can have a shiny new Tribes 2!

If only this community had a scripter to work on that stuff.
  • Torque would have to have major work to include what was taken out yet.
    However it would not be a downgrade because of some lines of code are missing. It supports much more than T2 does. Also SSAO would make things look way better and there is a huge support for it. Most of the T2 modders and devs are there.
    It would take a large effort and severl people to be able to pull this off.
    I have been on teams and there is a lot of drama, caotic management and noobs who think they know it all.
    It would take a few dedicated folks to pull this effort off!
    I have been doing game mods and have a degree in Game Art.
    The only thing I lack is a good team. Otherwise I would have a few tittles.
    At the moment I am currently not working on game projects. The economy tanked and I have been working for the Space indusdry (Space as in sattelites). I have been programming and working with 3d tools. One of the things teams lack is a good tool programmer. My goals are to fill that void. :)
    If there is ever a team assembled to port T2 to Torque let me know I might consider helping out.

Personally I would just like to start a new that has similar elements rather than create a game that you cannot sell later.
    Oh yea I do have a dev lic. for TGEA and I plan on upgrading to T3D.
  • You should look at Ascension/RenWerX.
  • Its hard to ask this question to our community. Honestly this is what is wrong with tribes and the reason for having no future as much as I would like it to have one...

Its simply cause once you take us away from the look and feel of Tribes 2,,,mehh people don't like it. Which leaves us in this same spot as always in hopes that Kinetic Poet will come back to save us in spirit form =p