No Noob Left Behind

Comments

• I want to play Tribes not use IRC. That's the point of this thread, teach people BASICS. This item does this, this one works well like this, if your in this situation try and do that. We aren't trying to raise up TWL players. Seriously you people need to realize not everyone makes this game life like you do. Some of us log in for maybe an hour a day just to have a little fun, not make it our goal in life to be the best at a video game
  • What a waste.
  • No Child Left Behind was a farce of a system instated by a backwords administration.

I see the parallel. That's funny. Hah hah.
  • I want to play Tribes not use IRC. That's the point of this thread, teach people BASICS. This item does this, this one works well like this, if your in this situation try and do that. We aren't trying to raise up TWL players. Seriously you people need to realize not everyone makes this game life like you do. Some of us log in for maybe an hour a day just to have a little fun, not make it our goal in life to be the best at a video game
    well the point is that if you want to learn to play better you might as well learn from people who aren't terrible and will do nothing but pass on their terrible habits to you, and the people who aren't terrible generally congregate on irc. if you're going to learn from bad people you might as well not even expend the effort of learning in the first place
    well the point is that if you want to learn to play better you might as well learn from people who aren't terrible and will do nothing but pass on their terrible habits to you, and the people who aren't terrible generally congregate on irc. if you're going to learn from bad people you might as well not even expend the effort of learning in the first place
    Well then you should also learn from more then one person. Because there isn't just one guy in the whole game that is the best at everything. You should be taught by multiple people during different days of the week. This way you will be able to merge what one person taught you with what another person is teaching you and you can learn to be a better all around player if more then one person is teaching you.
  • By the way, people really need to learn to seperate flaming from pointing out the truth. The main point that Kryand, myself, and a few others brought up in this thread is that teaching newbs is only worthwhile if the person who's doing it is actually decent at the game and has something to teach.

That being said, I'll repeat what a few others have said in that the best help you're likely to get is from going to #lastgasp on irc.tribalwar.com and asking questions there, because that's where the remainder of skilled players who know what they're talking about reside.

Fact is (and again this is merely pointing out the truth, not coming from a point of malice), people who primarily played on HV servers (or rebels), have fundamental misunderstandings of the game on multiple levels, as evidenced by the fact that there were never any decent players on said servers. Having people teach the game who don't know about it themselves is counter productive, because you end up tainting the people you're attempting to teach.
  • edited May 2009
    No one said it's a bad idea to teach newbs. The point is it's a completely wasted effort if the teachers can't actually teach much of anything. There are people in #lastgasp (irc.tribalwar.com) who, by themselves, could teach a new player more than everyone in your group combined - and probably in less time. If you really wanted to help new players, the best choice would be to just get them on IRC and send them there. But I have a feeling you won't do that.

Your assumptions are that only someone who has played competitively or plays only classic can teach someone something about the game. Thats wrong. A lot of new people are coming into the game just trying to figure out how to use things, how to change armors, switch out weapons etc. There are plenty of people who have played awhile that can teach those things. Additonally plenty of them can teach various strategies as well.

There can tend to be a lot of bias thrown around in specific circles. I want the game to grow on the merits that people enjoy it irregardless of whether they like classic, base, vehicles or whatever. Yes you can meet up with a lot of good players on Vent. Hopefully if they don't give someone new an attitude they can learn something. You know how many newbies end up in IRC ask some questions that seem stupid to long time players and they get attitude galore. I've seen it many times. I'm even at fault for partaking in it at times myself and I'm not even a competitive player. That crap attitude needs to go if we really want to see any type of resurgence in the game. Some people dont even know how to use Vent or IRC. If the competitive community is suddenly having some change of heart then cool. But in years past I haven't seen much of an open arm response to newbies in the realm of Tribes. Thats one thing the Legions community is doing right.

What you are saying is almost equivilant to someone telling their kid they shouldn't learn basketball from their school coach because he's just a teacher and doesnt really understand how the game is played like Lebron James. This is a video game isnt it? Some of you take this way too seriously.
  • No one said it's a bad idea to teach newbs. The point is it's a completely wasted effort if the teachers can't actually teach much of anything. There are people in #lastgasp (irc.tribalwar.com) who, by themselves, could teach a new player more than everyone in your group combined - and probably in less time. If you really wanted to help new players, the best choice would be to just get them on IRC and send them there. But I have a feeling you won't do that.

Your assumptions are that only someone who has played competitively can teach someone something about the game. Thats wrong. A lot of new people are coming into the game just trying to figure out how to use things, how to change armors, switch out weapons etc. There are plenty of people who have played awhile that can teach those things. Additonally plenty of them can teach various strategies as well. Also, there can tend to be a lot of bias thrown around in specific circles. I want the game to grow on the merits that people enjoy it irregardless of whether they like classic, base, vehicles or whatever.

What you are saying is almost equivilant to someone telling their kid they shouldn't learn basketball from their school coach because he's just a teacher and doesnt really understand how the game is played like Lebron James. By the way this is a video game isnt it? Some of you take this way too seriously.

The difference is, the school coach is going to know all of the basics of basketball down, as well as the beginnings of good solid strategy - not the case in T2 where a lot of people have misguided beliefs.

Here are a few examples of bad advice that can get given out due to bad fundamentals (in no particular order) -

1.) Any advice that says the satchel charge is worth using
    2.) Any advice that tells you to use a tank for anything but long range spam
    3.) Any advice that tells you to use anything except nade launcher/chain with mines for heavy defense
    4.) Any advice that tells you the shocklance is worthwhile to use against shrikes.
    5.) Any advice that tells you that cloak should be used for defense
    6.) Any advice that tells you not to carry chain in every loadout
    7.) Any advice that advocates going for MA's over chaining someone in most situations
    8.) Any advice that says standing on a base with a missile launcher shooting 100 missiles a map is effective.
    9.) Any advice that results in you carrying an elf gun on any semi-regular basis (only useful use of it is against certain heavy shielders when they're on a hill, if you use it on lights you're incredibly dumb)
    10.) Any advice that results in you doing 10 other billion things that are nonsensical that many of the players with bad fundamentals do.

The above was just a small sample of the things that can go wrong when you have someone teaching a new person the game when they themselves don't know what they're doing - doing most of the above will render you nearly useless, and yet you see it all the time not only from average people on goons, but from many of the people who played on low tier servers and never learned otherwise.

Learning how to play from players with bad fundamentals isn't like learning from a school basketball coach, it's more akin to learning from a random kid in school who thinks that you should always try to force the ball in, even when double/triple covered (instead of passing).
  • edited May 2009
    By the way, people really need to learn to seperate flaming from pointing out the truth. The main point that Kryand, myself, and a few others brought up in this thread is that teaching newbs is only worthwhile if the person who's doing it is actually decent at the game and has something to teach.

That being said, I'll repeat what a few others have said in that the best help you're likely to get is from going to #lastgasp on irc.tribalwar.com and asking questions there, because that's where the remainder of skilled players who know what they're talking about reside.

Fact is (and again this is merely pointing out the truth, not coming from a point of malice), people who primarily played on HV servers (or rebels), have fundamental misunderstandings of the game on multiple levels, as evidenced by the fact that there were never any decent players on said servers. Having people teach the game who don't know about it themselves is counter productive, because you end up tainting the people you're attempting to teach.

Going to an IRC channel to help someone might be a good idea. But then we would run the risk of turning them into you, self important guys that take a video game waaaay to seriously. It's a wonder why people like yourself NEED to remind every one else of how good you are at a video game.

TN
  • As usual, certain members of this forum have a hard time distinguishing fact from opinion.

Teaching someone to play the game != training someone to be an elite "pro" (how many of you earn salaries to play this game again?)

Teaching someone how to use loadouts properly, effectively shrike and bomb, place proper defenses according to map, ski, target/mortar, and other basic functions of the videogame known as Tribes 2 can be taught by anyone who has played the game for awhile including HV people.

Training someone to disclaunch, cap flags at 1000km hr, spin around and headshot someone with a laser, then land in their base 4km away without touching the ground is not what the OP intended with "adopting noobs". Most new people (and most old people) who play this game will never achieve that level of play and indeed don't care about it. Those that do will seek out the players of that next skill level.

When you were children, did you start in kindergarten or did you jump straight into a Master's program at MIT?

Shane has already said he's sick of it and I'm getting tired of it too... any of you (on either side of this argument) that keep up with your ad hominem attacks and other trolling towards one another will start receiving 1 week probations.
  • edited May 2009
    What you are saying is almost equivilant to someone telling their kid they shouldn't learn basketball from their school coach because he's just a teacher and doesnt really understand how the game is played like Lebron James. This is a video game isnt it? Some of you take this way too seriously.
    I haven't read the rest of the thread, but I just want to take a break right here and correct your analogy, because I already thought of a much better one a while ago. It's more like we are telling our 15 year old son not to learn basketball from one of the other kids his age playing basketball, and should instead learn it from an actual pro or instructor.

Edit: Hmm maybe I should have read the very next post since ZP already said it LOL. Oh well, reiteration never hurts.

Actual up-to-date response:
    This is all well and good if you are going to tell the newbs you train that you aren't here to make them good players. Tell them you are only going to teach them the most basic of basics, and that they'll have to go somewhere else if they want to learn to be good. Do that, and you have my blessing. However, even if you say you will do that, I'm sure some egotistical members of your group will insist on trying to teach every noob "strategies" that are completely horrible. The very last thing we need is an influx of people who are going to stay bad at the game for nine years straight - which is one thing I can see that HV is qualified to teach. Having an influx of good players who think bad players are bad is the healthiest thing a game can possible get, contrary to TerraNova's belief.
  • edited May 2009
    it seems the people who are for the HV people teaching new guys things are assuming that the lastgasp folks are going to immediately start in with this weird crazy advanced high level bullshit of tribes, which they're simply not. a lot of the stuff you mentioned, beaz, isn't something that's teachable, it's something that comes with rote memorization and playing the game a simply ridiculous amount of time. perhaps someone on HV could tell someone how to set a defense or how to ski, but the simplest fact of the matter (and the one people have been trying to put across) is that by going to someone who is actually experienced or who has that competitive edge or whatever you'd like to call it, you're going to get better tips, better tactics and ultimately be a more effective player.

as i see it the point behind these ideas of training new people is to make sure that they don't, as the title says, get left behind. imo, a new person who's told effective tactics by skilled players is a lot more likely to stick around than someone who's told faulty tactics by inexperienced players. the idea here is teaching people effective ideas and strategies for playing, not to give them a bunch of extraneous crap by people who are, frankly, not very good at the game which just leads to more frustration and more new people giving up after a short amount of time.

if you want to have a vibrant community for tribes again, new people need to know what they're doing, and they need to be helped by those who have a place helping, like the people in #lastgasp.
    '

^ pretty much this entirely.

And Beaz, everything in this thread (aside from the posts dan made before the one I quoted), have not gone out of their way to be particularly inflammatory, they simply do state the truth.

By the way, threatening people is extremely laughable - most of the classic players (such as myself and Kryand) when we post here post in a well written articulate manner, we simply don't baby people or sugar coat what needs to be said.

So by all means to respond to posts on what their contents are, and disagree if you like, but please drop the threat bullshit - because no one gives a fuck about it and it makes you look dumb. You certainly don't have the power to ban anyone from anything (given how easy it is to circumvent), and even if you did try, you'd only cause yourself 100 fold the headache in return due to several obvious courses of retribution.

p.s. #lastgasp is always open to those who do in fact want to learn to get good at the game in the right way.
  • Guys, if you don't like someone's opinion, why quote it and respond to it? A lot of accusations of people being "trolls" is going around lately. So, why not treat them the way you should treat a "troll" -- ignore them and don't respond to them, because you know it will only make you angrier (btw, flaming a "troll" is not how you deal with him). Even I don't like a few of the opinions posted in this thread, so, I ignore them and don't respond to them.
  • edited May 2009
    Guys, if you don't like someone's opinion, why quote it and respond to it? A lot of accusations of people being "trolls" is going around lately. So, why not treat them the way you should treat a "troll" -- ignore them and don't respond to them, because you know it will only make you angrier (btw, flaming a "troll" is not how you deal with him). Even I don't like a few of the opinions posted in this thread, so, I ignore them and don't respond to them.

This - so long as people aren't responding with one sentence posts laced with profanities, it's pretty ridiculous to call for bans on whatever reason. People have differing opinions and takes on different subjects - sometimes to extreme degrees. Asking for, or threatening bans due to those differences however, is completely absurd.

It's probably worth noting the irony and hypocrisy of people where those who claim that they're mature and enlightened (and consequently that their opposition is not), are the ones who usually have the sandiest vaginas and seek to silence people that see things in a different manner.

It's fair to say that many people in the line of thought that Kryand and I share feel that many people are uninformed or horribly off base on many issues - yet we've never cried out or asked for anyone to be banned/silenced.

Why? Because we believe in the strength of our arguments and what we say, and if people post terrible off base things, it's not a huge deal to correct them where they're wrong and go from there.

Only people who feel horribly insecure in what they state want others to be silenced or cut off.
  • edit - sec writing post hit post too early
    lolnewb
  • it seems the people who are for the HV people teaching new guys things are assuming that the lastgasp folks are going to immediately start in with this weird crazy advanced high level bullshit of tribes, which they're simply not. a lot of the stuff you mentioned, beaz, isn't something that's teachable, it's something that comes with rote memorization and playing the game a simply ridiculous amount of time. perhaps someone on HV could tell someone how to set a defense or how to ski, but the simplest fact of the matter (and the one people have been trying to put across) is that by going to someone who is actually experienced or who has that competitive edge or whatever you'd like to call it, you're going to get better tips, better tactics and ultimately be a more effective player.

as i see it the point behind these ideas of training new people is to make sure that they don't, as the title says, get left behind. imo, a new person who's told effective tactics by skilled players is a lot more likely to stick around than someone who's told faulty tactics by inexperienced players. the idea here is teaching people effective ideas and strategies for playing, not to give them a bunch of extraneous crap by people who are, frankly, not very good at the game which just leads to more frustration and more new people giving up after a short amount of time.

if you want to have a vibrant community for tribes again, new people need to know what they're doing, and they need to be helped by those who have a place helping, like the people in #lastgasp.
    Well that is where the problem is with this whole post.You think you know something about everything and state them as facts.Just because someone isnt In the TWL or in #lastgasp doesnt mean they cant teach or learn something from someone.Anyone that has been around for awhile.What that person takes from that learning is up to them.This isnt a HV people verus a TWL people like you try to make it out to be.Or another base versus classic as some of you like it out to be.

This thread was about people that were willing to teach anybody that wanted to learn.The fact that some may say there more experienced than others is laughable.If you dont know anything about that person.For instance danotwo thinking he knows anything about Terranova.Fact is Terranova played in TWL for along time on a comp team in the 7 and 12 man ladder.A team that was top 5 in both when there was 30 to 40 teams competing not just 5.He doesnt feel the need to have to brag about it in every post he makes so I will.

You assume things about HV people.Fact is many of these HV people played in TWL comp before you even knew what TWL was.That doesnt really matter though I am sure some of the TWL players could teach new players just fine. That doesnt mean your way is the only right way to do it.To think that just the TWL people are the only ones who have a place helping is just ignorant.I hate to tell you guys not everybody wants to play in TWL ladder.Anybody that has played this game long enough can teach someone something if they wanted.Some people just wanna play for fun now.Sometimes teaching something new in game so they have more fun is what its all about.

So its ok to if you wanna learn from the HV people or the TWL people as long as you want to learn.Just learn to have fun either way.
  • Some people just wanna play for fun now.Sometimes teaching something new in game so they have more fun is what its all about.
    Ah yes, the heart of the issue. The game is more fun when you are better at it. You guys are advocating bringing newbs to an incredibly basic level - barely above where they already are. We advocate bringing newbs to a much higher level where they are actually accomplishing some nice things in game. So basically, we want newbs to have more fun than you want them to have. Plus, if we teach them, they'll be better than most of you guys in short order - and they might even try to give pointers to you guys and correct you where you're wrong just like we do. You guys better get to the indoctrination to make sure that doesn't happen!
  • What you are saying is almost equivilant to someone telling their kid they shouldn't learn basketball from their school coach because he's just a teacher and doesnt really understand how the game is played like Lebron James. This is a video game isnt it? Some of you take this way too seriously.
    I haven't read the rest of the thread, but I just want to take a break right here and correct your analogy, because I already thought of a much better one a while ago. It's more like we are telling our 15 year old son not to learn basketball from one of the other kids his age playing basketball, and should instead learn it from an actual pro or instructor.

Edit: Hmm maybe I should have read the very next post since ZP already said it LOL. Oh well, reiteration never hurts.

Actual up-to-date response:
    This is all well and good if you are going to tell the newbs you train that you aren't here to make them good players. Tell them you are only going to teach them the most basic of basics, and that they'll have to go somewhere else if they want to learn to be good. Do that, and you have my blessing. However, even if you say you will do that, I'm sure some egotistical members of your group will insist on trying to teach every noob "strategies" that are completely horrible. The very last thing we need is an influx of people who are going to stay bad at the game for nine years straight - which is one thing I can see that HV is qualified to teach. Having an influx of good players who think bad players are bad is the healthiest thing a game can possible get, contrary to TerraNova's belief.
    this would mean something if you were actually a good player kryand which your not.I hate to break it to you if everybody quit playing tribes which I hope never happens and there was just you and some random newblood left,Guess what you still wouldnt be the best player in tribes.
  • this would mean something if you were actually a good player kryand which your not.I hate to break it to you if everybody quit playing tribes which I hope never happens and there was just you and some random newblood left,Guess what you still wouldnt be the best player in tribes.
    Ah, the poster boy of "I THINK I AM A GOOD PLAYER!!!" is here to prove my point. This game will die fast if the newbs have to be trained by blindkilla.
  • holy shit. is it really that difficult to have fun playing this game without being pro as fuck? what are people arguing about? I'm so confused. oh my god. what's going on here? does anybody wat to listen to my mario paint composer song? pls? its rally good guys.
  • Seriously, this is one damn elaborate fake poster. Who's behind all this?
    IT is and BTW who the fuck are you?

So wait, is this an admission that you are - in fact - a fakeposter?
  • Take it down a notch, everyone.
  • My only reply to people saying I'm making threats (and in turn making their own threats) is this: I did not take any side, I said stop with ad hominem attacks and constant flaming or I would probate people from either side. I'm sorry if I come from a world where that is not a legitimate form of discourse.

To those who thought I was taking a side, you have made yourself look stupid... not the other way around. Grow up. If you are grown up, then stop playing this game and get a life.
  • I will help people. You can find me in #lastgasp on irc.tribalwar.com. You can also use my server which is the practice and competetion server. The admin pw is captain.
  • After reading, re-reading, and re-re-reading my earlier point still stands: Some people just want to play this game like any other.

They don't care about all the finesse or the "always do this" and "NEVER DO THAT" rules that so many older players seem to go on and on about.

I bought Tribes 1 on release day... just as I did Tribes 2. I will always play the game the way I want to and don't give a flip if I never have a "name for myself" or could do anything on a competitive ladder. I play this game for fun until it bores me, then I go do something else. I believe that is what this thread was for... this is why the constant bickering is unwelcome.
  • After reading, re-reading, and re-re-reading my earlier point still stands: Some people just want to play this game like any other.

They don't care about all the finesse or the "always do this" and "NEVER DO THAT" rules that so many older players seem to go on and on about.

I bought Tribes 1 on release day... just as I did Tribes 2. I will always play the game the way I want to and don't give a flip if I never have a "name for myself" or could do anything on a competitive ladder. I play this game for fun until it bores me, then I go do something else. I believe that is what this thread was for... this is why the constant bickering is unwelcome.
    Yes! Yes! YES!!
  • Then why train people at all. There's hardly anyone in the game who doesn't already know the basics. Any sort of training whatsoever is the trainer telling the trainee how to play the game. Sounds like that goes against your philosophy.
  • Then why train people at all. There's hardly anyone in the game who doesn't already know the basics.

This is what I don't understand: There are new people playing every day. Many of them don't post on here or are scared too due to the "must be a pro" mentality many people face. I really don't get the mentality of "most people that are playing have always been playing.

It's a small community, but people that are either stumbling across this for the first time (via Something Awful or other sites) or possibly played before but don't remember some of the basics or never played classic (or any other mod variant) are wanting to learn how to play the game. Some people actually want to learn just how to use a tank as a team, or properly tailgun, or other simple tasks that are just fun, don't require much skill, but may not be easy to learn in a "pick-up group" environment.
  • And I had such high hopes for this thread...
  • On the bright side, the post deletions seem to be saving the community.