TN TCP objects?

From here: Is it possible to transmit sound files server->client? (figured it might be easier to find Thyth here)
- What are TCP objects?
- How does one use them?
- Could they be used to send audio files to clients?

Comments

• As stated in the Development Roadmap
    The following features are slated for the RC4 release:

* A replacement for the game's built in script TCPObject code. The existing TCPObject code is the source of unhandled exceptions for the users running the game in Linux through wine. Additionally, new TCPObject code (with binary transfer capabilities) would enable scripts like in-game map downloaders. Related to this is the addition of binary file objects.
    * API for constructing and analyzing ZIP files. This will be used to create custom resource packages for players as needed by servers, without allowing executable code transfer to the client.

The newer TCP objects won't be included until RC4, along with a possible 'custom resource transfer' utility (which I think will only handle terrains/models and not audio).

Short anser: no.

Long answer: If you devote time and effort after the new TCP toys are in, there might be a possibility...however, users would likely require a restart to make use of the new files.
  • edited June 2009
    however, users would likely require a restart to make use of the new files.
    Nope, at least not if the sound isn't preloaded as part of an audio datablock (haven't tested it), and at the very least used by an AudioEmitter (which is what I just tested really quick). You can even modify the file after it's been played before and the game will use the modified file.
  • VL2s are only scanned on startup, and presumably you will want to transfer those files packaged together, rather than as individual files.

The intent of the planned RC4 resource transfer system is not to enable those annoying, low value voicepacks though, so it will be configured only to allow terrains and BSP models (used for interior instances on maps) at the start.
  • those annoying, low value voicepacks
    That's not what I was thinking of using this for, actually. :P
  • annoying, low value voicepacks though.

Called it. You all see saw it here first!
  • annoying, no value voicepacks
    fixed