Puttin' butts in the seats

Hello, new member VERY old player of the series. I would like to thank those responsible for bringing Tribes 2 back to life. There has never been a game since that has combined all the right elements to make an awesome FPS with the pace of T2. Every once in a while I peruse the new FPS games to see. Everything is CoD cloned, Rainbow this BF that... But an FPS with z-axis combat built in every player, for some reason escapes the game designers nowadays.

So, I wanna know what I can do to get populations back on T2. I know everyone out there that I played with are long gone. And the servers are up- but its a ghost town for the time being. Anyone have any suggestions to get T2 back up to the front of the line? I long for those days with mod/servers were loaded and BOTS were a filthy joke.

I am spamming my facebook and myspace, and mail-spamming my crowds. Hopefully a chain reaction starts and gets the fans back. Once again, glad to see this game breathing again!

Foonchacha

Comments

• Welcome back bro.

1. Bring your friends.
    2. Don't quit because of the Mod Zealots and 1337 snobs.
  • A few friends won't do it, but any new people are welcomed. What we need is a full-scale advertising campaign and a game that looks new. Then again, in general it seems like PC games just aren't nearly as popular today as they used to be, so even that might be futile.
  • I just figured out what this game needs: achievements.

Achievements are the new "black". Get on it, Thyth!
  • Yeah but no one would care unless it was added to their Live gamerscore or something. :\
  • Welcome back!
  • With all those graphics whores, it'll never be possible. "OMG THOSE GRAPHICS SUCK IMMA PLAY CRYSIS BECAUSE ITS PURDY" Go stare at a freaking photo or go outside if you want graphics and facny physics engines. Gameplay don't mean squat anymore.
  • Graphics are the death of good games nowadays. It seems like everyone is into hyper realism and framerates without any time spent on content. Tribes had good graphics for its day, but ultimately it was the solid physics, deployables and infinte variety of play styles that made it what I consider the best FPS to date. And for frig sake, you can fly- I mean, how have dev's not made more strides to mimic this award winning classic with some modern glitz? PC twitch is dying I guess... What a bummer. Well see you all online hopefully.

Foon
  • oh hi to you
  • i blame it on the hip hop and ritalin
  • Foon, make some concept art.
  • Maybe what Tribes II needs to be is a bit more simpler, what I mean is be more like Tribes I.

3 Armours, Heavy, Medium,

Light. SpinFusor,Gernade Launcher, Mortar, Chaingun, Blaster, Targeting gun. Ion Turret. Thats it.

Also when I first read the topic, I thought it was another "Why is it so difficult, to board a havoc." thread.
  • Maybe what Tribes II needs to be is a bit more simpler, what I mean is be more like Tribes I.

3 Armours, Heavy, Medium,

Light. SpinFusor,Gernade Launcher, Mortar, Chaingun, Blaster, Targeting gun. Ion Turret. Thats it.

Also when I first read the topic, I thought it was another "Why is it so difficult, to board a havoc." thread.

Good Question, why is it so difficult!?!?
  • Welcome! I'd love to see the community skyrocket beyond record and have absolutely NO BOTS. I remember there were so many servers loaded with people and nearly every server I saw had it's own mod. I don't know what some of them were, but I remember having like 3-5 different weapon settings and the ability to deploy team forcefields. I also remember a great lava map with a base in the center that you had to walk across bridges to get to and mini platforms on the outskirts. Great to have you back and so much patriotism for the game.

P.S: What was your old screen name?
  • If you wait a bit, you should see that when school finishes, the number of users increase aswell.
  • Well I think that if Tribes2 gets noticed by MLG/Gamebattles it will become alot bigger because MLG is all about the competitive side about games. I personally got accounts on both of the sites because I like competition. But with the attention MLG/GB has and the highly competitive side T2 has maybe T2 could eventually be apart of GB's games?
    Just a suggestion. Prolly gonna be shot down but whatever.
  • I made a thread on game battles forums a few months ago. I have no idea how they work though, and no one looked at it.
  • Hmmm..I'll try again!
  • Well I think that if Tribes2 gets noticed by MLG/Gamebattles it will become alot bigger because MLG is all about the competitive side about games. I personally got accounts on both of the sites because I like competition. But with the attention MLG/GB has and the highly competitive side T2 has maybe T2 could eventually be apart of GB's games?
    You (possibly inadvertently) made a point in this post that I have tried to make many times before, though so many people can't accept it:

Competition is this game's only real chance. If the noobs don't step up and start competing then the game is going to stay dead forever. Running around in pubs doesn't do shit to help the game.
  • edited June 2009
    You (possibly inadvertently) made a point in this post that I have tried to make many times before, though so many people can't accept it:

Competition is this game's only real chance. If the noobs don't step up and start competing then the game is going to stay dead forever. Running around in pubs doesn't do shit to help the game.
    [/quote]
    I agree with you a little bit. Competition can really get T2 going. But pushing competition to all the noobs and the people who don't want to compete in the game can also end up bad. As in most games alot of the people don't play for the competition. Look at Halo3, Social Slayer(Non-ranked) is where 1/3 of the population is constantly. The rest being split between atleast 10 other different types of matches. That population is not even including the rest of the matches that Social gameplay has.
    But I agree that the noobs have to step up and get into competition play because competition is very slow, and once other gamers outside see/hear of people competing on T2 it can spark some attention.

I agree with you a little bit. Competition can really get T2 going. But pushing competition to all the noobs and the people who don't want to compete in the game can also end up bad. As in most games alot of the people don't play for the competition. Look at Halo3, Social Slayer(Non-ranked) is where 1/3 of the population is constantly. The rest being split between atleast 10 other different types of matches. That population is not even including the rest of the matches that Social gameplay has.
    But I agree that the noobs have to step up and get into competition play because competition is very slow, and once other gamers outside see/hear of people competing on T2 it can spark some attention.
  • I am vary pleased to see the resurection of this masterpeice. I recieved a phone call from someone I introduced to the game I think over ten years ago informing me of this site. Thank you to who ever put this together. I will do all I can to get people on this game.
  • I would love to see T2's population explode, so that it would be like I rembered starseige, where I could get up in the mornig at 6AM and have a bunch of different chices of highly populated servers with no bots, although I don't really see how we could get so many people to join us.
  • i blame it on the hip hop and ritalin

You Rap-Murr-Phobe! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rap-Murr-Phobia