Server side mine beacon

I’m looking for a Server side mod.
That will automatically make a beacon
(Like the one that is made when an inventory station is deployed on the goon haven server)
for a deployed mine.
Preferably visible only with in 50m.

If not i can make one.

Comments

• I doubt you can make it invisible based on distance.

If you do make a mod like this, make sure the beacon is GREEN and not YELLOW.
    Sure you could.
  • There is a problem.

There are 3 beacon types; enemy, friend and vehicle.
    After running several searches on the script and gui files.
    I haven’t found where these types are defined.

Do you know where they are defined?

I have created a script that will place an orange (friend type) beacon,
    after a mine drills into the ground.
    The beacon type can be changed in the script, but the green ones (enemy type)
    and the red ones (vehicle type) have a target line.
    // By RedRavid
    package MineBeacon 
    { 
    	function armDeployedMine(%mine)
    	{
    	   %mine.beacon = new BeaconObject() {
    			dataBlock = "DeployedBeacon";
    			position = %mine.position;
    	   };
    	   //%mine.beacon.playThread($AmbientThread, "ambient"); //this make the becon flash
    	   %mine.beacon.team = %mine.team;
    	   %mine.beacon.sourceObject = %mine;
    	   %mine.beacon.setTarget(%mine.team);
    	   %mine.beacon.setBeaconType(friend); //enemy friend vehicle 
    	   MissionCleanup.add(%mine.beacon);

Parent::armDeployedMine(%mine);
    	}

function MineDeployed::onDestroyed(%this, %obj, %prevState)
    	{
    		%obj.beacon.schedule(490, "delete");

parent::onDestroyed(%this, %obj, %prevState);
    	}
    };
    activatepackage(MineBeacon);

I need to make a custom type or turn off the target line.
    But I think that beacon display is handled by the exe and not by script.
    If so I will try to make a work around using waypoints or map markers.
  • Turn:
    	   };

Into
    			beaconType = "vehicle";
    	   };

Or "enemy" for the targeter types.
  • This is my problem (see screen1_cr.png)
    I want to represent the mine discreetly.
    Not with lines all over the place.
    • screen1_cr.png
  • So, limit to 50 meters, or 50 meters plus line of sight.

1) Hide the beacon object on creation (%mine.beacon.hide(1)).
    2) Place the beacons in scope to individual clients when they meet the visibility criteria (%beacon.scopeToClient(%client)).

Make sure you have code to kill the beacon when the mine is destroyed, because hiding may make the beacons themselves invincible to conventional weapons.
  • So, limit to 50 meters, or 50 meters plus line of sight.

1) Hide the beacon object on creation (%mine.beacon.hide(1)).
    2) Place the beacons in scope to individual clients when they meet the visibility criteria (%beacon.scopeToClient(%client)).

Make sure you have code to kill the beacon when the mine is destroyed, because hiding may make the beacons themselves invincible to conventional weapons.

Oddly, that seems limited to certain types. Have you actually tried it with a beacon? It doesn't work. The beacon stays visible when you hide it and functions mostly the same aside from showing up in the editor. The scope commands are entirely ineffective.

I was trying to find a way to do something similar with MissionMarkers, ghosting them to only one team, which causes pretty much the inverse issue: when they're hidden they're hidden, and the scope commands are also ineffective.

Of course it works on every other object type!
  • The server has no say in the distance the beacon-marker is rendered, as it is all done via the navhud gui control on the client.
  • The server has no say in the distance the beacon-marker is rendered, as it is all done via the navhud gui control on the client.

The server can selectively ghost objects, it seems like this isn't possible with beacons though. I worked up a simple workaround in my own case, which is for showing markers on disabled equipment for the team the equipment belongs to, by using an item with a HUD marker and selectively ghosting it to the entire team. It works like a charm, check it out on the betaForce Reborn server. Blow some stuff up and change teams and you'll see markers saying "The XYZ is broken". The reasoning behind this? It's what, 3052 or something like that, I'd imagine our HUDs would be able to relay some simple information about the health of our bases. ;)
  • I guess %obj.hide() doesn't work on beacons then. A long time ago, we solved this in the Construction community by adding a native function to directly set the ghosted flag on objects on the server side: %obj.setGhostable(bool). That function didn't care what type of object it was. For a couple of reasons that function isn't in the standard TN DLL, but it seems like it might solve the issue with hiding.

I'll give it a try sometime, and report back.
  • I guess %obj.hide() doesn't work on beacons then. A long time ago, we solved this in the Construction community by adding a native function to directly set the ghosted flag on objects on the server side: %obj.setGhostable(bool). That function didn't care what type of object it was. For a couple of reasons that function isn't in the standard TN DLL, but it seems like it might solve the issue with hiding.

I'll give it a try sometime, and report back.

It's strange with beacons - it hides the object's marker in the editor but doesn't hide the rendered object... The exact opposite of what happens in every other instance that you use hide().

If you do make a mod like this, make sure the beacon is GREEN and not YELLOW.

When you want that people shoot (to) target(s), you place there a beacon on target mode. If you want them to find/avoid targets, you place it as marker mode. The target mode gives everyone rights to shoot to that direction. It is same as someone is pointing targeting laser or bomber marks targets with it own special targeting laser.

For the automatic beacon placement for the mines, it is needed to be on marker mode, not on target mode. (Even that it would have only a 10m radius).

No one shoots the place where is marker mode, because there can be any important device or place. The green is just permission to fire on that place. If you do not want people to destroy your own defense, do not use target mode for RIS, mines, INV's or Turrets.
  • I just checked the effect of the ghost flag on beacon objects, and it seems to fail in the same way as the hide command. Seems like a bug in the engine, and looks like I was wrong on the possibility of this sort of script, regarding beacon objects.
  • serverside bacon mines would be cooler
  • serverside bacon mines would be cooler
    I forced myself not to say exactly that, since it's just so lame... Thanks for taking the bullet for me :D
  • lol!
    how do i go about sending bacon textures to every client?

hey wheres my flag events package?!?!?
  • this is a WIP.
    this mod creates a waypoint like the one created in the cmd map.
    but only for the host.
    I might be able to make a client side mod using this method.
  • Is there any progress about this subject to have serverside beacon for mine?

And is it possible to change the beacon color at all?

On Classic it is not wise that INV gets marker beacon because players who do not know how to play, runs to other people mines when they are marked with beacons. And players who do not think other players and situations, marks mines with target beacon what is GREEN LIGHT for all team members to shoot such target. (+ causes misfirering of missiles on the field when enemy is between target beacon and missile launcher. + Makes the UI look very ugly when places are full of them). Red beacon is not answer either, because it is same as target mode existing beacon, but bomber leaves it. What tells to teammates that such target can be shooted as long as wanted because it wont get destroyed. So players do not need to know the map where the target is placed and watch out destroying the beacon under X what need to preserve.

We should get changed the RIS beacon to other color, like blue. If it just would be possible to know where all those settings are.
  • No, and No.
  • i would instantly kill any mine marked with a yellow beacon just for being marked with a yellow beacon
  • i would instantly kill any mine marked with a yellow beacon just for being marked with a yellow beacon

And why you would be so mean for team? Just by wanting to be a jackass?

If player has not skill to understand the map (bases) structures understanding that if there is 5-10 becons on hall, it does not mean that there is 10 RIS placed next to each others.

But is it too much expected from Classic player to know base and even understand it's good defence positions?

Too many times you can find out on Classic that players place RIS next to INV, there might be one room where is two INV and they place TWO RIS just next to them. RIS's got deployed to places where they get destroyed right away, or they do not help team at all. Some people even marks those RIS's with multiple beacons so you have 10+ beacon around it.

It does not help the defence at all either that there is so many unskilled players tying mine+disk combos who throw the 25 mines limit full right in the beginning when all mines are lying all around somewhere on the map.

Marker beacon is a marker, not target. It gives information to player to look what is there, not to shoot at it. What is the reason why we have target mode at all.
  • Yeah, that's exactly why marker beacons are used for inventories. Mines don't need beacons, but it's common for Base players to think beaconing mines is necessary. Classic players rather just use common sense to realize that the inside of the base - especially an area with no inventories - is probably mined. It's also fairly easy to just look on the ground and see a mine, but apparently most Base players are so unskilled that they can't even do that without a beacon marker. The only time people run into mines accidentally is if they spawn right near them inside the base and can't get around them.

Furthermore, did you even stop to think what possible purpose a targeting beacon could have inside your own base? Seriously, if you see a targeting beacon in your own base, what could it possible be marking other than a mine? I guess it's too much to expect a Base player to figure out that a targeting beacon doesn't mean "shoot here" when it's inside your own base.

If you are going to mark a mine, you mark it with a green targeting beacon. End of discussion.
  • excuse me, i played Tribes 2 Siege for years upon years. we threw down about 10x more mines than you could even fathom, and would sometimes run into the mine limit. i often switched into ammo pack for that very purpose. if we needed to mark them (we often did in pubs), it was ALWAYS done in green.