Joystick Enable?

Hi all. This is my first post here. I played Tribes2 way back at its release, and after a long absence, this week I loaded up the free version to play.

I love this game!

However, I can't get T2 to recognize my joystick.

Normally I try to thoroughly forum-search before posting, so I spent about 5 hours today searching Tribes2 forums ...to no avail.

In the Settings tab in-game (I've just tried Solo/LAN so far), the "Enable Joystick" and "Configure Joystick" buttons are not available (i.e. greyed out), but the "Mouse Configure" button works. My current joystick is a CH Products Fighterstick, and Windows Vista recognizes it, but I guess not the game. I tried changing the appropriate line in ClientPrefs.cs to:

pref::Input::JoystickEnabled = 1;

...and also tried adding quotes around the number:
pref::Input::JoystickEnabled = "1";

Nada. Any suggestions on how to get this working? (Probably something simple that I've overlooked!)

(Note: I have noticed when I post "joystick" questions in gaming forums, the thread can devolve into a discussion of whether or not using a joystick in an FPS is a good idea. Well, certainly not for aiming! ;) But for over 15 years, I have played all FPS's using a mouse in one hand, and a joystick in the other. Yes, it's not common, but the level of precision and the amount of available buttons at my fingertips is astounding --especially handy in games where vehicles are involved.)

Comments

• This isn't going to help, but my guess is this is a vista issue. Anything that vista offers as far as options? Is this a usb or serial port stick?
  • It's possible that the API for gamepad/joystick access changed in Windows Vista, in which case a bunch of older games are probably broken in the same way.

You might want to try a Google search on the topic in a more general sense.
  • im on xp and the game didnt recognize my gamepad either, in most games a gamepad jockstick is recognized as any other joystick, maybe not in this one..
  • It's a USB stick.

This time I don't think it's an OS problem (though ...what do I know? ;). Vista recognizes it, and so does it's own profiling software (CH Control Manager). The only problem is that the game doesn't allow me to press the "Joystick Enable", and "Joystick Configure" buttons in the Settings tab. I'm guessing doing this would allow me to set up the sensitivities on the analog X/Y axes, which I plan to use for strafing and forward/back movement. I "can" indirectly set up all the other buttons and POV hats with the profiling software, but I can't set up the analog axes unless Tribes2 recognizes the stick.

I'm guessing the problem is some stupid checkbox that I haven't checked somewhere.

A few years ago, I went through incompatability issues with my gameport Logitech Interceptor when I changed to XP from Win98SE. Windows XP only provided basic drivers for my old stick, but with no programmability options, so I upgraded to the CH Fighterstick. The CH Products company make the highest consumer quality flight simulator H.I.D.'s on the market - and have so for many, many years. Their support team is also THE BEST I have ever come across - for any product I've ever bought.
  • have u asked them if they know what to do in your case?
  • wait, actually it recognizes my gamepad but it keeps strafing left and looking around is jerky
  • Have you tried XPadder? It allows you to set binds on any Windows-recognized joystick for keyboard and mouse actions.

Joystick/mouse sensitivity will probably be tough to set exactly right (and for using the joystick to strafe in an analog, not "either yes or no" fashion may not be possible, though doing so for aiming should be).

If you can't get it to work internally in the game, this last resort could be your solution.