None

edited January 2014 in General Discussion
-

Comments

• edited October 2009
    Speed of internet connection doesn't impact on ping nowadays, when games usualy takes a little ammount of Kb/s, 56K era is the past.

More impact on ping gets you what type, or what quality connection you have. There are big differences between eg. 5mb/s connetion from one ISP and 5mb/s from other ISP.

Now i have 5mb/s down, and 1mb/up connection, pings are simmilar to the pings i has playing on 512kbps connection. Maybe now i've got 20ms better pings (but it is matter of ISP, now i've got better one - my isp was Hyperion, now it's Netia)

My pings:
    goon - 170 - 230 ms
    zorn - 30 - 90 ms
  • Speed of internet connection doesn't impact on ping nowadays, when games usualy takes a little ammount of Kb/s, 56K era is the past.

More impact on ping gets you what type, or what quality connection you have. There are big differences between eg. 5mb/s connetion from one ISP and 5mb/s from other ISP.

Now i have 5mb/s down, and 1mb/up connection, pings are simmilar to the pings i has playing on 512kbps connection. Maybe now i've got 20ms better pings (but it is matter of ISP, now i've got better one - my isp was Hyperion, now it's Netia)

My pings:
    goon - 170 - 230 ms
    zorn - 30 - 90 ms

There's games that finds you the best server for connectivity. Take COD 4 for example.
  • Yeah my pc lags even on cstrike(fps)it sucks but i hope il see a improvement with ping even -30 ping wil be better

So what are you saying? FPS "lag" and latency (ping) are 2 different things.

And, if it helps. I'm in the US and my ping to the goon server is around 50ms, with an 8 mbit DSL connection through AT&T.
  • In New Hampshire connecting to Goon (wherever the server is located):

Wireless connection leached off my neighbor at ~ 110-120 ping time average depending on time of day.

I have no clue what I graded for speeds but i imagine I'm around 5 mbps and 1mbps up through comcrap.
  • Ping (network latency) is also going to depend on the route your packets take to get to the server as well. Beaz, proprietor of Goon Haven, reports that while he lives within walking distance of the physical server, he gets about 100 or more ping, whereas others can pull less than 50 from further away. This is because the network Beaz is on doesn't connect to the server's network until California, so it has to go cross country twice.

If you're ever interested to see the often-illogical path your packets take to get to their destination, hit up this site: http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/visual-tracert/
  • At college - T3 snitches!! lol
  • meh FiOS at home
    and an OC12 at work ;D