Cursor and Menu Disappears

I recently installed T2 (first downloaded a corrupted client, re-downloaded it a second time and it worked fine). I go ahead and create my account and there's no problem there until it sends me to the home screen (the one where you can choose your skin, sex, etc etc).

I can't see my cursor anywhere on that screen (I play minimized) and the bottom menu (news, mail, etc) are all gone (replaced by a "static-looking" black bar.

I've never encountered this before (the first time I booted up off a clean install, everything worked fine - and now I get all these different errors), not sure what the deal is. Any help is much appreciated.

(I play on Windows XP if that bit of information is needed)

Comments

• 1 why do you play minimised?
    2 have you deleted all .dso files found in your base folders?
  • Ugh, sorry. meant to say I don't play full-screen (figured it was the same as saying "minimized") because that's how I've always played I suppose.

I haven't deleted any .dso files in the base folders. There's actually only one called "console_end.cs.dso" so I'll go ahead and remove that and try again?
  • Ok try playing full screen, windowed mode often has issues. Also, make sure you have no anisotropic filtering or antialiasing enabled in your driver control panel to start with. There are dso files in most every folder inside the base folder, delete them before you try again. The game compiles dso files from scripts found in the scripts folder and the vl2 files in the game every time you fire the game up so deleting does no harm. The problem is that changes made in settings for the game can be overriden by the preexisting dso file pertaining to that change. Also one wants to dlete all dso files after a game crash. Better yet just dl a script that deletes all dso files on game shutdown:

http://gamefiles.androctasiae.net/tribes2/scripts/UberGuy/cleanDSO.zip
  • The problem here still remains: I can't bring up the menu to switch back to full screen because the menu bar at the bottom is completely blank and my cursor disappears while mousing over.

I've never had an issue with windowed mode, had no idea it caused so many issues.

Thanks again for all the replies.
  • you might try saving your current clinetprefs.cs file and moving it elsewhere, then delete it from prefs folder and try again
  • you might try saving your current clinetprefs.cs file and moving it elsewhere, then delete it from prefs folder and try again

This and/or try a full redownload and install in case something got corrupted.

Also, make and model of graphics card? Updated drivers are also a good place to check up on.
  • sometimes older drivers are better than new ones when t2 is concerned
  • Alt+Enter switches between fullscreen and windowed.