New FPS Project

edited February 2010 in General Discussion
Zaxis Games is currently developing an extensive new multiplayer game title. Gameplay will be loosely parallel to Tribes/Quake/Unreal/Team Fortress etc. Yes there will be skiing and jet-packs along with different formulations of what makes a successful game title. We also will be adding many new twists that will provide for the richest and smoothest multiplayer FPS game experience the PC has ever seen.

This is a professional level Project with some private funding at this time. This Title will be published and released worldwide.
Please visit http://www.zaxisgames.com for more information

JOIN THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM!
We are looking to put together a royalties driven team with any experience or interest in Video Game Development. If you have any experience, knowledge, or educated interest in the following areas, Please contact us at http://www.zaxisgames.com or post in the forums.
- 2D or 3D Modeling/Photoshop
- Textures/Meshes
- 3DS Max/Maya
- Unreal Game Engine Knowledge or Coding
- Scripting, Modding, or Mapping
- Sound Engineering/Voice Acting
- Alpha/Beta Testing
- Javascript/ Flash Player etc
- Game marketing or Publishing
- Web or IT programming/Troubleshooting.
Once you are registered, you will go through orientation and be designated to the group of your choice.

If you want to be part of a team that is dedicated and driven to release top game titles, welcome to Zaxis Games. We look forward to working with you.

Please join our community to be involved on a basic level. We thank you for your support.

-Zaxis Games

Comments

• Hey, it's the guy that just got banned from #lastgasp for spamming this like 40 seconds ago.
    What's up dawg?
  • why do i need to join just to see screenshots? it doesnt make me want to join but instead just close the tab.. (scam tactics alert)
  • Your site doesn't work with JavaScript (which I reported on Page 51 of your TribalWar thread http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604324 ).
  • edited February 2010
    I hope that the project is not built on UDK. I think T:V is a perfect example of why. When is the last time you saw anything close to resembling a Tribes like game built with Unreals's engine? I think this was a decision based on ease of use, since there is great familiarity with UDK.

I posted my suggestions on the website, but I thought I would share my opinions here too. I personally would be pulling for CryEngine. If you havent played Crysis, you are missing out on an amazing gaming experience, and if you have, then you know that anything is possilbe on its engine. This video I posted is of a MechWarrior total conversion mod that just won mod of the year on www.moddb.com. If you dont see the Tribes-like potential from this video, there is clearly something wrong with you. I think that if you truly wanted to make the greatest FPS experience, you would go with CryEngine. :P

• I don't see potential with that video. One word: accessibility. Two words: that's Mechwarrior.

OP is asking an awful lot right off the bat. Doesn't sound like there's a lot of people working on it right now.
  • I hope that the project is not built on UDK. I think T:V is a perfect example of why.
    Because there's been absolutley no progress made between UE2 and UE3, which is what the UDK is built around.

T:V being a gigantic clusterfuck relates to a million other reasons and not only the engine itself.

If some random non-professional dudes can recreate a Raindance copy and code accurate Tribes physics into QuakeWars which runs on a modified Doom3 engine, there's no reason why the same couldn't be done for other systems.
  • Look at how many awesome games and mods were made with udk and how many with cryengine .I am no programmer but i see the difference ,you aim for cryengine for the graphics i guess...

I understand, but the engine has been out forever, and its outdated. But the feel of UDK games is generally the same. You can go into a game and play it for just a little and tell it is an Unreal game. The fluidity of a Tribes like game, in my opinion, would not translate well. On the Zaxix I posted tech demos of 2 other engines I also think would work better than UDK. I understand that there maybe a smaller budget, but I think the "ultimate FPS" should be built on the ultimate engine.

Not only is CryEngine the prettiest, it is also the most intelligent. The physics engine is unparalleled. Just youtube some tech demos, just for an example. Have you ever checked out the MMO Aion? It was built with CryEngine. www.moddb.com and check out all the awesome Crysis mods there are.

CryEngine > UDK in every factor. (Except UDK is free to use)
  • You can go into a game and play it for just a little and tell it is an Unreal game.
    I can watch a 4 minute video of a game without playing it and tell it is a CryEngine game.
  • Yes, and it is glorious.
  • The total cost of our entire project and upkeep of the game from start to finish on UDK is probably less than a single CryEngine license.
  • The total cost of our entire project and upkeep of the game from start to finish on UDK is probably less than a single CryEngine license.

Mechwarrior: Living Legends is free, it is a total conversion mod for Crysis, and will eventually be ported to Crysis:Wars due to improved netcode which will solve some of the issues with 32-man games at the moment. Apart from that; the project is entirely free and does not require any licensing. The catch of course is that the project cannot charge money, Microsoft has allowed the team access to Mechwarrior IP without limitations so long as there is no profit gained. The Crytek team is also far more active in the modding community; of the MWLL staff, three have already been hired full time by Crytek as a result of their work on the project. But if you are referring to an actual license for Cryengine2, then you are correct, it exceeds $1,000,000. But the Unreal license also exceeds $1,000,000. UDK allows you to keep all profits so long as they stay under $5000, in excess of that Epic must be guaranteed a fairly substantial portion of any profits gained (that is profit; after publishing, distribution etc).

As for the Cryengine vs. Unreal battle? It's really a toss up. Some great games have been made on Unreal; Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 come to mind. Those are excellent examples of how malleable the engine is; there are no real limitations and the netcode has always been a real upsell of Unreal.

Cryengine on the other hand, particularly Cryengine3 will offer several major benefits over Unreal. Licensing fees aside, the ability to develop a game on the PC and use the integrated "convert" feature which ports the game automatically to PS3 and Xbox 360 is a fantastic step forward for cross-platform develops. With respect to Tribes, this isn't relevant, but if you tried Mechwarrior: Living Legends out, particularly the "Elemental" battle armor you would realize it feels awfully like Tribes - the skiing, the jet packs, and even some of the weapons. It is by no means as fast-paced, and the Mechs are still the central theme, but considering it is a total conversion mod, not a brand-new product built off the Cryengine - it's a pretty impressive achievement.

Seeing both engines in action - I think both can be tailored to suit Tribes. The Quake engine is yet another contender. However, in the *grand scheme* of things I believe the Cryengine (from a modding standpoint) simply offers a better mix versus UDK. Having fiddled with UDK - extracted height fields and imported T2 maps into UDK, textured them, etc I can see the out-of-box benefits of UDK; it really is an easy to love package. There will always be nayers sayers for both, but that's to be expected in any comparison.
  • I agree with jasio, the Cryengine looks atractive yet if you just have different game developers it's not really any point in having a great engine, but you do not know how to push it's boundrys to the limit's, i mean as he said they both cost the same UDK or CryEngine
    it you wanted to put Cryengine into Visual levels it's like the violin yet the Unreal engine 3 is a abrubt sharp type engine that's very much orintated around FPS with some careful modding and some good imaginitive thought they could make the mechwarrior mod far better then what it is, it would need to be even nicer then what it is for me to get my computer a $500 graphics card to play it and a new CPU
  • I understand some peoples apprehension about CryEngine, being that you need a very powerful computer to get the full effect of the masterpiece, but this game also wont be coming out for years. There are incredibly powerful gfx cards for very affordable prices now. Just imagine what they will be in a few years? My XFX HD 4850 has a double lifetime warranty and right now costs around $125. I can play just about every game at 19xx by 10xx at 100% graphics with no problems at all.
  • All i have is a $210 220 Geforce GDDR2 would that handle Crysis?
  • edited February 2010
    Do you need Crysis in order to play MechWarrior?
    Would be a HUGE disadvantage compared to UDK where a standalone game is absolutely no problem.

Both engines are suited for a Tribes-like game from what I saw. I think we're at a point where it depends on the developer's skill anyway and not the engine. You can do everything with those engines if you program it well... Let's not forget that and just blame the engine ::)
  • The MechWarrior game is a total conversion mod.
  • edited February 2010
    Well, is it possible for indie developer to make a (free) standalone game with Cryengine without paying for the engine? If not, the answer should be clear because that's what UDK offers and what makes it a great choice for indie developers.
  • Nebulous objective? Check.
    Design based on user input? Check.
    Royalty sharing payment? Check.
    Nebulous mission statement? Check.

Sounds like a winner.
  • Well, is it possible for indie developer to make a (free) standalone game with Cryengine without paying for the engine? If not, the answer should be clear because that's what UDK offers and what makes it a great choice for indie developers.
    This.

If CryEngine had an affordable license or a neutered version like UDK is for UE3, we'd definitely try it. Until then, it's not a possibility. We are only interested in making a stand-alone game, not a mod. UDK isn't our only choice, but it's the main one for now.
  • our
    ???
    who does "our" contain?
  • edited February 2010

MWLL is pure beauty, and their massive dev team went through great lengths to release it. Some of their founding members went pro recently, some hired by Crytek (I think) and some other studios.

Anyway... I don't really think it boils down to what engine you use. Game physics seems like a science to me, and the only guy who really understands it is Andrew, who documented his wisdom here:

http://floodyberry.wordpress.com/2008/02/20/tribes-1-physics-part-one-overview/

Anyway, Its never the tools that are at fault.... Unless you're developing on Torque Game Engine Advanced ;3
  • Its never the tools that are at fault.... Unless you're developing on Torque Game Engine Advanced ;3
    Quoted for truth.
  • Its never the tools that are at fault.... Unless you're developing on Torque Game Engine Advanced ;3
    Quoted for truth.

Double QFT.
  • Let the dead topic die in peace.
  • Has this been released yet?