Tribes 2 NEWB

I am very new to tribes, I just played it for the first time last night, and well... I SUCK.

What is some good advice for a newb? i cant kill anybody with my weapons or anything

Comments

• Go through the training missions in LAN.
  • Start a server with bots in the game, and play against the bots for a while. You can adjust them to be stupid or smarter, so you can progress. Read the manual to see just how to start a server.
  • Bots will only get you so far, however. For one, they don't adapt practically at all, whereas live players might figure out that "oh, there's a mortar turret spamming that path, maybe I shouldn't take it anymore". Not to mention that bots probably won't ever stray outside the mission border unless they're dead set on hunting you down (like for Rabbit or something).

I've tried a bot mod that enabled them to use vehicles, but that just ended up being complete chaos, and not in the good live-game way. I'm talking four bots all spawning shrikes and then failing to pilot them out of the hangar.

I've run a 16-bot server, highest difficulty, but I have a better experience trying to get past my own defenses than anything the bots could set up.

My advice would be to join a heavily populated server and just ride it out. Find your sweet spot, the role you perform the best, and try to improve that as much as possible. If you go out looking for scripts or skins and such, I'd advise testing them in a bot server before live testing, just so your team doesn't start screaming at the n00b that's just standing there configging scripts.

I am by no stretch of the imagination an expert. I struggle to get double-digit kills in any map. But I found a good niche in bombing runs (especially when I get the good pilots), and occasional satchel infiltration. Overall, I think it's most important that if you're really interested in getting better at Tribes, stick with it no matter how much you suck. I've heard that a matter of months is a reasonable timeframe for improving.

Stick with us, you'll get better eventually!
  • Well..Like Eolk said the training missions can give you the basics and stuff. Also training missions and bots can only get you so far because of their AI. You can tell what a bot is going to do but a human is a living thinking being, which makes it much harder to predict the movements and such. Like you I sucked a little while back. But now I range in the 20+ kills per match area and one of the top 3 scorers on my team(although score means nothing toward skill). My advice would just simply be join a non-populated server and check it out in there. High populated servers may get you frustrated because of the multiple deaths you may receive in such a short time.

~Clan D12- Immortal[D12]
  • where do I find the training mode, i played a game on LAN using bots, but i didnt see any training mode.
  • In the offline mode, the game should start on the Training tab.
  • Bots don't ski, so while they are nice to try out the basics, they otherwise are worthless when compared to a player that even has a rudimentary knowledge of skiing.
  • My advice is, watch and learn. Play on populated servers, learn from your mistakes. Watch how people move and follow. Eventually you will find your own play style that you like and will work.
  • I'd personally try getting used to one weapon and go from there. If you're planning to play light/scout which I'd probably recommend if you want to 'kill people' then what I'd do is; in game press the NUM pad 'enter' key to bring up your choice of weapons etc. If you're light and want to have some good 1 v 1's and possibly cap, I'd recommend the energy pack and probably the chaingun, Spinfusor and shocklance.

The spinfusor is a great weapon to learn with, the chaingun is BRUTAL when used properly but there's very few people I've seen who can make the most of it.

In 1 v 1 situations, it's all about predicting and also trying to get the upper hand, mid-air shots with the spinfusor are hard. There's far less-likely to hit than when you're on the ground. I wouldn't bother trying mid-air shots until you get the basics. Be sure that you're ski-ing skills are ok too.

You need to play smart, be unpredictable. If I'm in 1 v 1 and I'm above my opponent, you're guessing were he's going to land. Timing is essential, you want to the shot to hit the ground as he does, there's a good delay in the shot leaving your weapon and actually hitting the target so it's going to take practise before you get the feel for it. I've not played Tribes 2 for years so coming back to it a few days ago was also a learning curve for me also, but I'm slowly getting back into the swing of it.

Most of all, it's practise. Getting the basics is one thing but actually becoming good at Tribes 2 is a skill which takes a very long time.
  • I am very new to tribes, I just played it for the first time last night, and well... I SUCK.

What is some good advice for a newb? i cant kill anybody with my weapons or anything

Welcome.

Don't play against bots as you will not learn very fast. Tribes 2 is a multiplayer game so you need to play multiplayer.

Kit up in light armour with spinfuser, nade launcher and chaingun and do light defence at your base. You'll soon be jetting around killing players left, right and center.

Once you have done light for a while and know how to move (movement is the key to playing Tribes 2 well) you can then experiment with other armours and offensive roles.
  • Learn to use the jetpack + spinfusor combo and work on your timing and coordination.
  • It's probably not the best for actual practical practicing, but if you drop a targeting beacon on the side of a building or mountain or something, then jet up and down while aiming at it, I'm pretty sure the green line and crosshair extending from it would be the point you'd have to fire at in order for the disc to hit. Might be helpful for learning to take your momentum into account when firing discs.
  • The beacon doesn't move and shoot back though ;D
  • Like I said, not the best for practical practicing. ;)

Besides, just imagine the beacon is a non-moving object like a turret or something. Just as useful.
    Or put the beacon on a turret and shoot at it.
  • Learn by doing.

1. Learn to ski and jet; The two most important parts of Tribes.
    - This is not your average running and spamming FPS.
    - Practice by hosting your own LAN game and running around. Try to learn and use skills you can relate to any terrain.
    - When you think you know how, don't use an Energy Pack. Do it again.

2. Understand the weapons and how they fire. Pick 2 or 3 and focus on only those.
    - Learn to master a weapon. Learn to use a backup weapon for different modes of battle; when running, holding off enemy, or making them come to you (draw their attention).

3. Watch and learn. Demo.
    - Learn from how you kill and what kills you.

4. Learn the different roles.
    - Remember, there are lots of these. Base defense does not confine you to the generators. Stop them from entering the base or before they approch it.

Forget using beacons for distance shooting, or any of the above. Your skill will mature with time and experience when playing against real players.

Pick a starting point, develop your own style, and the rest will come.
  • Another thing is to join a server, check for the players with the highest scores, and obs them for a bit. Or if the high scorers aren't playing the position you prefer, obs anyone playing your particular favorite role, flag defense, gen defense, shrike whoring, etc. You will learn a lot by example. But good bots are still a way to learn.
  • Maybe it would be a good idea to create a tribe of veteran players wich runs regular training sessions for newbs. The times and servers for the matches can be announced in this forum and spread in-game.
    The members of the tribe should be players who already have some skill so they can give advice and answer questions during the matches, but who will not interfere in the battle to take advantage of the weak. NEWB vs NEWB battles would give more experience than  VET vs NEWB slaughters... I think.
    It's simply more fun to practice with players on your own level than with players with superb skills or alone. It might help to increase the amount of Tribes players who don't quit playing after the first match they play. And it might help to smooth the cap between vet and newb skills a little.

Is this a good idea? Would it be worthe the effort?
  • Having a tribe or at least a single server with vets offering training to newbies is a supreme idea.
    When I was in on Tribes 1 a couple years ago (long after its prime, of course), there was one server running Shifter that was dedicated to training newbies. The admin there helped me figure out the strengths and weaknesses of the armor types, how to use blast grenades to launch scouts across the map, rocket jumping, all sorts of very useful things the tutorials don't always give you.
    Totally in favor of a training server ;D
  • http://xfer1.the-construct.net/tribes2/mods/Construction_v0.69a.exe

Construction has something that I sometimes use to practice. The last official version has turrets mounted to vehicles that move by themselves called MTCs. They're pretty challenging to fight sometimes (if not sniping).

Just an idea.
  • I'm totally for the newbie training thing. I'm not a vet but atleast I get a chance to help some people out and keep the community growing. I could be on the server every day since I'm on everyday and get bored of normal games..Which is the reason I play Arena/Duel MOD. But if anyone launches a server PM me and I'll jump at the chance to train some nubs!
  • I always found that turret farming was the best thing for training new players. The turrets give you free kills and can back you up in fights, plus allowing you to practice skiing, jetting, inventory work and general movement without always being shot at.
  • Having a tribe or at least a single server with vets offering training to newbies is a supreme idea.
    When I was in on Tribes 1 a couple years ago (long after its prime, of course), there was one server running Shifter that was dedicated to training newbies. The admin there helped me figure out the strengths and weaknesses of the armor types, how to use blast grenades to launch scouts across the map, rocket jumping, all sorts of very useful things the tutorials don't always give you.
    Totally in favor of a training server ;D

A motion has been made on the floor to create a training server for newbs. I second that motion.
  • Motion goes to vote.

All in favor?
    (anticipating massive point fonts of "aye")

--
    I notice that there is a server listed that says newbie training, but it's almost always empty.
  • No newb will join a server with 0 players... I think.
    So if you feel like helping newbs you should just sit and wait in there untill some show up and then teach em what you have already masterd. With time the server will become more popular.

And ty to whoever made the server... the community will benefit from your work! :D
  • here's a quick tip for a newb: When you're playing on a large server, immediately after you spawn, get safe. What this means is that highly populated servers are usually prime places for spawn kills. If you get to a safe place immediately after you spawn, and then plan your next move, you will be more use to the team.
  • Motion goes to vote.

All in favor?
    (anticipating massive point fonts of "aye")

--
    I notice that there is a server listed that says newbie training, but it's almost always empty.

PRESS INSERT TO VOTE!! : )
  • The newbie training server is having some problems. It disconnects me all the time :(
    Could it be because I don't have the latest version of tricon installed?