Its Sad.....

It's sad that Garage Games gave up on the Tribes Franchise. All Tribes 2 need was a face lift and maybe some new vehicles and maps. I bet Garage Games are kicking themselves for selling the Tribes Franchise to Vivendi that really screwed the Tribes Community with the release of Tribes Vengeance. There have been a few wannabe's Tribes Released mods like the Quake Wars: Tribal Wars and some others.

Yes the maps look good but I have yet to see any Tribes Mod that had the look and feel of the Original Tribes 1 Or Tribes 2. IE: no deployable inventory stations no deployable spiders, land turrets turrets, No exchange of large turrets barrels and deployable beacons ect. ect. ect.. I have played T1 and T2 for 10 years and if I had the bux to make a Tribes comeback I would buy the game and give it a better grafix look and give it the feel of the Original Tribes 1 & Tribes 2 and make it easy to make the maps and the scripting made easy for the moders.

Just a vent.... sigh.....

Comments

• Garage Games is the disaster that owns all of the Tribes IP and source code.
  • Dynamix wrote Tribes under parent company Sierra, Tribes being a more-or-less side project of Tim Gift and some others at Dynamix, they actually made smaller games and released them just to finance Tribes dev. Then after Tribes was released Sierra fired Dynamix.

Many (but not all) of the former Dynamix guys formed Garage Games, and were then hired by Sierra (imagine that) to do the update for Tribes. This update then was altered by Sierra to become an entirely new stand-alone Tribes game - not just an update to Tribes. So T2 was released ... and if you were there at the time (or have access to an original T2 cd to install it and see for yourself) you saw for yourself how alpha it was at release but many people still played it and had hope. So T2 needed a mess of fixes and GG was asked to do the fixing. Fix was made for some of the most nagging things about T2 and some maps were made and then Sierra said "hey thanks for the fixes and updates, you are fired". So Sierra fires Dynamix twice after a tribes release/patch, more or less.

Then Sierra sold the entire Starseige IP (wich includes Tribes and Tribes2) to VUG, Vivendi Universal Games. VUG saw how rabid we are as a community and rereleased Tribes and an updated T2 for free dl and on a game magazine cd with a limited number of T2 accounts available, famous zods making most of the fixes that went into the "Community Release" and this was all done to hype gamers for the VUG release of Tribes Vengeance. TV has wonderfull art but as far as I am concerned, a poor engine and rendering api, but I am a diehard opengl fan, and a fan of Darkstar (Tribes engine) and Torque (the T2 engine wich is based on Darkstar) so I am biased. But the art is still great in TV and I have had fun games in TV but it's not quite Tribes or Tribes2. The trouble with scripting and mods in TV is _all_ due to the choice of engine; UT. Then later on VUG decides to turn off the master server for Tribes (some Tribes players wrote private master servers for Tribes and Tribes still thrives), and some time after that, VUG shut down the masters for Tribes2. There was another private master server or two for T2 and then TN came along and we all know about that.

In all this time Garage Games is purchased by IA, some orginial Dynamix guys left IA to form their own company, and IA buys the entire Starseige IP from VUG. IA decided to redo Tribes as a browser game and never finished it for whatever reason, but what was to be the stand alone update to Tribesby IA was leaked .. and it runs woderfully. But I digress. You now have the story as far as some of the important historical aspects of the game we love, but who knows what will come in the future? A DX11 Tribes in opengl4?

(any inaccuracies I have made please forgive them as I am an forgetfull old man who merely loves the game)
  • Why can't they all just make a Tribes 3 (and forget Tribes Vengeance ever happened)?

I keep trying to get more people to play Tribes 2, but they play for a few days and get bored because of the complexity. Everyone's just too used to games like Call of Duty where you just aim and shoot.
  • edited August 2010
    Dynamix wrote Tribes under parent company Sierra, Tribes being a more-or-less side project of Tim Gift and some others at Dynamix, they actually made smaller games and released them just to finance Tribes dev. Then after Tribes was released Sierra fired Dynamix.

Many (but not all) of the former Dynamix guys formed Garage Games, and were then hired by Sierra (imagine that) to do the update for Tribes. This update then was altered by Sierra to become an entirely new stand-alone Tribes game - not just an update to Tribes. So T2 was released ... and if you were there at the time (or have access to an original T2 cd to install it and see for yourself) you saw for yourself how alpha it was at release but many people still played it and had hope. So T2 needed a mess of fixes and GG was asked to do the fixing. Fix was made for some of the most nagging things about T2 and some maps were made and then Sierra said "hey thanks for the fixes and updates, you are fired". So Sierra fires Dynamix twice after a tribes release/patch, more or less.

Then Sierra sold the entire Starseige IP (wich includes Tribes and Tribes2) to VUG, Vivendi Universal Games. VUG saw how rabid we are as a community and rereleased Tribes and an updated T2 for free dl and on a game magazine cd with a limited number of T2 accounts available, famous zods making most of the fixes that went into the "Community Release" and this was all done to hype gamers for the VUG release of Tribes Vengeance. TV has wonderfull art but as far as I am concerned, a poor engine and rendering api, but I am a diehard opengl fan, and a fan of Darkstar (Tribes engine) and Torque (the T2 engine wich is based on Darkstar) so I am biased. But the art is still great in TV and I have had fun games in TV but it's not quite Tribes or Tribes2. The trouble with scripting and mods in TV is _all_ due to the choice of engine; UT. Then later on VUG decides to turn off the master server for Tribes (some Tribes players wrote private master servers for Tribes and Tribes still thrives), and some time after that, VUG shut down the masters for Tribes2. There was another private master server or two for T2 and then TN came along and we all know about that.

In all this time Garage Games is purchased by IA, some orginial Dynamix guys left IA to form their own company, and IA buys the entire Starseige IP from VUG. IA decided to redo Tribes as a browser game and never finished it for whatever reason, but what was to be the stand alone update to Tribesby IA was leaked .. and it runs woderfully. But I digress. You now have the story as far as some of the important historical aspects of the game we love, but who knows what will come in the future? A DX11 Tribes in opengl4?

(any inaccuracies I have made please forgive them as I am an forgetfull old man who merely loves the game)

Thanks for the detailed reply bud ;) I too like I had said played T1 and T2 for 10 years. Its a shame nobody has the common sense to know that this game will be a gold mine to anyone that had the money and took take time to remake it in the same tradition what made T1 and T2 So damn popular. Man... its aint rocket science. If I had the bux I do it in a heart beat! In the same tradition Tribes was to be played.

Only Time Will Tell!

Cya
  • (any inaccuracies I have made please forgive them as I am an forgetfull old man who merely loves the game)

Thanks for the recollection there Blakhart. You get a cookie. :D
    ...and ditto on the above statement.
    I've been a Dynamix fan for ages. They developed a long list of games...
  • who wouldnt love a game called "Caveman Ugh-Lympics"?
  • Dynamix wrote Tribes under parent company Sierra, Tribes being a more-or-less side project of Tim Gift and some others at Dynamix, they actually made smaller games and released them just to finance Tribes dev. Then after Tribes was released Sierra fired Dynamix.

Very well described.

As it sounds with Tribes2VET I also go back to the beginnings of Tribes 1. I ran a very early server for Tribes 1 for a couple of years. I was transitioning to Linux during that period and eventually bought the LokiGames Linux version of Tribes 2. Even though it was still basically Tribes I didn't care as much for Tribes 2 as I did for Tribes 1. I did like it but also thought it got a bit overly complicated. Eventually LokiGmaes folded and I basically lost interest in Tribes for a period. Later I discovered the Tribes inspired off shoot Legends which ran in Linux fine. I have been involved there for quite a while.

What I think is interesting is that so much grew up and around the original game. Legends, Ascension and several other separate efforts have also been inspired by the uniqueness of the original Tribes 1. Even now, after all these years, there are still people who were so impressed with the original game that they have given of themselves an incredible amount of personal time and money to keep it alive in one form or another. TribesNext, Legends, Ascension, Tribes1 are all great examples of the love people have for this particular unique gametype.

At this point, no matter what is your absolute fav version mentioned above, I think all interested players should go out of their way to support all of the surviving efforts. Play some Tribes 1, play some Legends, play some TribesNext, play whatever but.......just PLAY! It takes bodies to keep these games alive until a new generation comes along to take their places.
  • Well said, Bear. The series/gametype seems to thrive no matter the odds.

Here's a more detailed piece on Sierra, pointing out some my errors:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_Entertainment