Can't Ski

Whenever I hold space bar I just keep jumping. The game doesn't seem to recognize the space bar being held down. This was an issue before back in 2002. I fixed it, but I can't remember how, grr...

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Long time no game, huh? That's ok.

It doesn't just automatically make you go faster. If you don't have any speed going when you press spacebar, you're just going to jump. Try going down a steep hill, then pressing and holding spacebar. You'll see a big difference.
  • Thanks for the help. But I actually know how to Ski. As you're sliding down a hill you hold space. When I'm sliding down a hill and holding space my character keeps jumping (as though you were tapping space). When I stand still and hold space, my character jumps as though I'm tapping space.

It appears as if the game thinks I'm tapping space instead of holding it down. I had the same issue on another computer. Either I seriously have no idea what I'm doing or windows is interpreting my space holddowns as space taps.
  • Ah, I think I've got it, he still sorta bounces as he skis downhill. I'm used to tribes vengeance where it's a lot more smoother. If you hold space in tribes vengeance while on a slope you'll start sliding down it without jumping.

I hope I've got it right...
  • Yeah in Tribes 2 your character just keeps jumping. If you go down a hill, or if you are jumping across flat terrain if you've got a lot of momentum, then it gradually speeds up (or keeps your speed if you're on flat).

You'll notice you pick up a lot of speed if you go down a hill. Trust us it works.

Now I believe I've read around here somewhere that it is best to let go of any directional (W,A,S,D) buttons when skiing (just hold space), as sometimes it makes you bump into invisible holes. Am I right on this?
  • Now I believe I've read around here somewhere that it is best to let go of any directional (W,A,S,D) buttons when skiing (just hold space), as sometimes it makes you bump into invisible holes. Am I right on this?
    No, you're not. :P

Pressing and holding W while skiing makes you go a bit faster. If you don't hold W while you're skiing, you won't be going as fast as you could be. To avoid hitting a dead stop, try not to ski on flat land. If you cannot avoid it, jet slightly between jumps. This will decrease the chances of you hitting a dead stop.
  • Ah, ok.

And I just realized its E,S,D,F not W,A,S,D.
  • Ah, ok.

And I just realized its E,S,D,F not W,A,S,D.
    rookie mistake haha. whenever I play any new game I always switch the directional keys from W,A,S,D to E,S,D,F because I think its easier to control, plus you have that A key for an extra button.