Cannot connect to dedicated server, yet my friends can.

So I started hosting a dedicated server on my g/fs spare computer for me and my friends to play on. Its on frontier DSL, so its just enough for us to hang around on.

Well, my friends see it online and can connect to it just fine. Yet when im at my g/fs place the only way I can even see it is thru the T2 LAN. And when I try to connect to it then it says " This is a TribesNext server, goto tribesnext.com for more Info."

...How do I connect to this server? My friends can fine, I can when Im at my own place. But I cant when Im at the g/fs. She is thinking of getting into T2 as well, but if I cant join it I know she cant.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Is she running the Tribesnext patch?
  • We are all running the tribes next patch.
  • If you're trying to connect to the server via its wan address, ie;98.248.1.5 rather than 192.168.1.3, you may need to connect through the lan ip rather than the wan. Also, if you're running a router make sure you have holes punched in it to allow traffic to the server.
    Get the lan ip of the server and then in game hit insert, type the server's ip, join, and save as a fav.
  • I never did figur this out, but Ive come to the conclusion is the crappy frontier firmware on the DSL modem, it would only let me forward the ports for T2 to one IP, I could not get it to allow more the one computer to access the ports for t2. Im pretty sure thats the problem. I think Im just going to bridge into another router, and use it to act as a modem only. Ive read that if I do a hard reset on it will automaticly switch to bridge mode as well.

Thanks again guys.
  • umm... all routers only let you forward ports to one local IP at a time

as far as I know, you'll only have to open ports on the router if you're hosting, not for regular play, and if you're hosting you should theoretically be only doing that from one computer behind the router anyway

make sure port 28000 is forwarded to your server's local IP
  • Perhaps running the server in a dmz is the answer?
  • Only if it is VERY secured, and using a firewall that closes ALL ports except the game ports. Seems like a bad scenario.
  • edited January 2009
    It started working after a couple hard resets of the router, Man this thing gets HOTT though hosting 4 players across the web and then me playing via lan. heh//

Now Ive gota figur out why the Anarchy mod restarts the server every 60mins. Even if you admin or vote to extend the time, it restarts. Which is getting old for me and my friends, we get a good base setup with D and then the server resets. It will actually post a message saying the server is doing a scheduled restart and asks you to come back.

It didnt do this years ago when we hosted anarchy servers.
  • It started working after a couple hard resets of the router, Man this thing gets HOTT though hosting 4 players across the web and then me playing via lan. heh//

Now Ive gota figur out why the Anarchy mod restarts the server every 60mins. Even if you admin or vote to extend the time, it restarts. Which is getting old for me and my friends, we get a good base setup with D and then the server resets. It will actually post a message saying the server is doing a scheduled restart and asks you to come back.

It didnt do this years ago when we hosted anarchy servers.
    Anarchy is the first tribes 2 mod, mind you, and may have very old or buggy code in it. If I recall correctly, it has an auto-restart on mission end option or something. Check your serverPrefs.cs or readme.txt (if it came with one).
  • edited January 2009
    You were exactly right, I found it while tribesnext was down a little while ago, The Anarchy mod has one of its own server prefs.cs files, I also found what I was looking for in a read me with it. Im pretty sure its fixed as I changed a couple of restart values from "1" to "0".

Thanks though,and yeah I know Anarchy is kinda old, it did receive some maintence l mid last year, heh. We havent had any issues out it so far other than the restarting.

You wouldnt happen to know how to login as an admin via the console would you?