is T2 Dead

I was just wondering if tribes has died how many people are playing this game
I remember when the servers used to be full now there only 8 people playing

When's the best time to play? Do the servers fill up any more..

Comments

• I was just wondering if tribes has died how many people are playing this game

Hardly any.

The only two servers with predictable patterns are SCP and the TAC2 server.

"Snap Crackle Pub" tends to have a handful of people on during the day in my timezone (Eastern).
    "D/L Mod at tacmod.com" has a get-together every Friday night at around 10 or 11 PM Eastern and keeps going until everyone is done.

The rest have arbitrary fluctuations in population.
  • I was just wondering if tribes has died how many people are playing this game
    I remember when the servers used to be full now there only 8 people playing

Yes. Just had a nice 13 vs 13 the other day on SCP. You just have to learn when to get on. Usually evenings EST.
  • At this point, it's cool to get on and play with a handful of people who won't be different faces. Do I think I'd rather have the online player count much higher? Absolutely. Do I believe we've killed the game on our own? To a degree. From what I've gathered, this forum has 10,000 people registered, including any aliases that I believe exist. By abandoning the game and saying that there is no hope is not worth it. I guarantee that if some of the more popular people got on an played, word would spread and the player count (and maybe even the server count) would rise. I have no problem hosting a public server, but the problem is that I'd be putting up 64 slots that no one would join. This is one of the few case scenarios that I'd want to put a little wear on my background performance but it seems every time I check the Servers tab, it raises one day, and drops the next. As of this posting time, there are 150 total clients connected and 120 total bots existent, and even then, you have to factor in certain bots that people "command" into the servers via AIConnect and never seem to want to count with the initial server's bot count.

Honestly with today's economy, free is good. Just spread the word anywhere else and to anyone that this game is still good.
  • Honestly with today's economy, free is good. Just spread the word anywhere else and to anyone that this game is still good.

Probably going to need a new TribesNext at some point while you're at it.
  • It'll be dead when they pry the spinfusor from our cold dead fingers.
  • ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • It'll be dead when they pry the spinfusor from our cold dead fingers.

THIS
  • edited November 2013
    It seems although that T2 Has hit its end point. Adding on to that the people in Snap Crackle Pub are the same mean people in Goon haven and i don't mean all them but some of them
  • From my perspective this game has been on a slow but inevitable downward trend in popularity since the original server for Tribes closed. Honestly, for it's time (2000, remember, it's really that old of a game) Tribes 2 was an amazing game even though it had it's flaws.

I still hop on every now and then, mainly to poke around with my old code to see how I could have (and should have for that manner) done things differently with my old modifications, but I have yet to actually have a good meet and greet with some of the old community members in my servers anymore, just a few drop ins every now and then.
  • get totalbiscuit to play tribes 2 like he did ascend

WATCH THE PLAYERS ROLL IN
  • *pokes around*

I'm still alive? I am writing a PlayOnLinux script for Tribes 2 with TribesNEXT support to automatically set it all up for Linux players. Maybe we can get more people playing from Linux since the game is free if the whole process is automated :)

I'll post the link to the script when its complete.
  • edited January 2014
    *pokes around*

I'm still alive? I am writing a PlayOnLinux script for Tribes 2 with TribesNEXT support to automatically set it all up for Linux players. Maybe we can get more people playing from Linux since the game is free if the whole process is automated :)

I'll post the link to the script when its complete.

Are you sure this is even possible? I tried everything to get T2 running in Linux.
    Firstly T2 actually has a native Linux client (in case you didn't know) which worked with the latest patch (and even had a linux defenseTurret patch) which runs great for me, but the TribesNext patch only works on windows, so that option is out.

Then, I could also get T2 running with WINE and the TribesNext patch did work, however the authentication system doesn't work in wine. I remember reading a bunch of posts on this forum from the TribesNext developer when TribesNext first started, talking about why it doesn't work on wine but I can't remember.

If I could actually connect to any servers with either method of running it on Linux (natively or through wine, both of which get great performance) then I'd probably start playing again.

I guess it wouldn't be possible to put this game on steam greenlight? Who even owns the rights to Tribes 2 these days anyway? It's switched hands so many times I don't even know
  • Are you sure this is even possible? I tried everything to get T2 running in Linux.

Tribes 2 runs underneath of WINE 1.6.1 with a little bit of hackery as mentioned in the TribesNext WINE/Crossover thread. There are minimal problems using this method, the game itself plays perfectly fine. The keys can occasionally get awry where it thinks keys are held down when in reality they are not. Though I noticed this can be cleared by hitting CTRL+ALT with the window in focus. It's also not easily possible to invoke the UI editor with the Alt+F1 key stroke if your distro has some type of binding to that already. Under the options menu for controls, you can only rebind one key at a time per Tribes 2 instance as it stops receiving the key strokes after your first rebind.
    Firstly T2 actually has a native Linux client (in case you didn't know) which worked with the latest patch (and even had a linux defenseTurret patch) which runs great for me, but the TribesNext patch only works on windows, so that option is out.

I made an experimental patch for the Linux client that does implement TribesNext, to an extent as mentioned here. It is unable to create new accounts and to perform a proper login to your accounts in that it cannot verify on the spot if you got your password correct so it "logs in" regardless. This involves catching your decrypted client key from a proper TribesNext install and sticking this somewhere on your Loki install. After this point, you can authenticate with any TribesNext enabled server as any other client would. I'd improve upon it in obvious ways such as fixing the login system and such but I haven't had much incentive to do so.