TribesNext Profile and Clan API [BETA]

13»

Comments

• I've just made a few changes to the URLs in the first 3 posts. All URLs to "thyth.com" are now "tribesnext.thyth.com", and I have also made a new version of the tournamentNetClient available with this change: http://tribesnext.thyth.com/tn/tournamentNetClient2.zip

All existing API endpoints are now active on this new sub-domain, and behave the exact same way.

In approximately 1 month (probably around 2017/10/21), I will be *deactivating* the API endpoint on the non-sub-domain "thyth.com" endpoint as part of overhauls to my personal website. For multiple reasons (including site-wide default to HTTPS, and a vastly different underlying system design), it isn't tenable to provide these older services on the top-level domain.

Please update your TribesNext installs with the new tournamentNetClient2, and update any remote websites using the TribesNext Community APIs to the new hostname by this time.
  • nice when there is final version

for windows and linux
  • I'm not doing any new development for TribesNext. Just keeping things up and running as they were before.
  • What is the status of the tmail functioning and buddy list, with clan browser, so we can allow invite requests and accepts?

I looked at GIt and thought saw Lou credited for coding it, though had not seen it implemented in clan browser anywhere yet.
  • Viewing, accepting, and declining invitations were added to the browser API rather than doing it via t-mail (see message #3 in this thread, specifically the userinvites, useraccept, userdecline methods). That's different from the way the game did it originally, but there's no reason it has to work the exact same way as before. There is no in-game UI to do it the new way, but, like I said above: I'm not doing any new development for TribesNext.
  • Viewing, accepting, and declining invitations were added to the browser API rather than doing it via t-mail (see message #3 in this thread, specifically the userinvites, useraccept, userdecline methods). That's different from the way the game did it originally, but there's no reason it has to work the exact same way as before. There is no in-game UI to do it the new way, but, like I said above: I'm not doing any new development for TribesNext.

Okay, reviewed #3, though I just looked at Teratos site and only thing really missing, is ability to request an invitation to join clans by players.

http://tribes2stats.com/browser

I did not see it in the specific list functions, maybe I am missing something...

What would be use for player to request invite to clans?

Also, on tmail, is it not working or is it? Thought Lou got it working.
  • T-Mail was never completed. The APIs are partly in place, and it's possible that most things are working, but in the time that I was willing to spend on it, I preferred to add the userinvite method the browser API when I did this beta API release 3 years ago.

I've intentionally not documented the Mail JSON API. If you look at the script source code, there is an implementation against the robot API, but I'll actively discourage you from using it. There are probably bugs, and I don't have the time to track them down, or fix any issues that may cause problems with accounts that attempt to use them. Buyer beware if you try using them.

I was actually never going to implement invitation requesting, since I couldn't come up with a satisfactory way to actually do it (i.e. who would you send the request mail to?). In the browser UI code I implemented in the game, I think I removed all references to that capability.

Generally speaking, there are far better ways to communicate and coordinate available today than a crappy half-implemented private messaging system that I never finished. Use Discord, Slack, IRC, or whatever else the gaming community uses nowadays.

As a final point, you're best off using the API references I've already posted, and the T2 script code on GitHub if you want to build on top of this system to do things. Almost all of your questions should be answerable by reading through the information I've already made available. To reiterate: I don't have time to do new development for TribesNext, and that includes answering more than the questions I've already addressed.

You're absolutely free to build on top of my systems, but you'll need to be self-directed in learning and understanding how the existing stuff was put together. I simply don't have the time to say more than this.
  • Right on, totally understand...was just thinking maybe I overlooking the ability for player to request invite, as that would make it completed, imo, for clan management system, and if tmail was functioning, it would seem like the logical mailer, rather than external social sources or ways, that could be skipped, if request clan invite feature was working....

Has anyone seen Lou around?
  • There is a section in the FAQ about patch 3 coming soon... I'd maybe update that. ::) ;)
  • There is a section in the FAQ about patch 3 coming soon... I'd maybe update that. ::) ;)

got a link to the FAQ?

if it is in this thread and when posted by thyth?

.... think thyth is no longer available to work on anymore tribesnext projects...

Love to see a patch 3 coming soon...
  • This is a reminder to update any of your software to use the new "tribesnext.thyth.com" API hostname. If you're using the old tournamentNetClient, be sure to replace it with touernamentNetClient2. If you're using pre-RC3 code from GitHub, make sure you've pulled latest from t2-scripts/master as of September 25th. Sites using the API will need to update themselves too.

I will be making the changes to systems on my end soon without further advanced notice. If you neglect to update and your stuff breaks: you have been warned.
  • maybe should add this to announcements or sticky note it...also attach the file inline
  • This is a reminder to update any of your software to use the new "tribesnext.thyth.com" API hostname. If you're using the old tournamentNetClient, be sure to replace it with touernamentNetClient2. If you're using pre-RC3 code from GitHub, make sure you've pulled latest from t2-scripts/master as of September 25th. Sites using the API will need to update themselves too.

I will be making the changes to systems on my end soon without further advanced notice. If you neglect to update and your stuff breaks: you have been warned.

Thanks Thyth

Thanks for the heads up, although I read it today. Updated the API hostname and now everything works fine.
  • Turns out it took me closer to 12 months to actually finish these system changes, but they are now live.

As of today, any remaining in-game clients attempting to access old API endpoints on "thyth.com" will fail, as they will receive HTTP 301 redirects to HTTPS. Clients that have been updated to access API endpoints on "tribesnext.thyth.com" will continue to be able to use unencrypted HTTP. As far as I can tell, the support for TLS web requests in Tribes 2 never worked correctly, so both HTTP and HTTPS are enabled on "tribesnext.thyth.com" to maintain compatibility.

With that said, anyone who has written code that targets the TribesNext browser APIs should switch from HTTP to HTTPS protocol for added security (especially since it will protect TribesNext account passwords in flight). I've updated the URLs in the documentation posts at the start of this topic accordingly.