LAN Play, can't join dedicated server

edited January 2009 in Support
I'm trying to host a small LAN game here, and can't get dedicated server mode to work. I can see the server in the browser, but when I try to join it tells me that I need the "tribesnext client". Any idea what is going on here? Listen mode seems to work just fine in LAN play, but I would prefer to have the dedicated option.

Comments

• I'm having the same problem. I still want to be able to host a LAN server, but my brother is not able to join. He also has TribesNext client installed. :(
  • Well... the easiest solution would be to just install a copy of tribes 2 without the tribesnext patch and just use that for LAN play.

If your hosting a LAN game you probably don't need dedicataed server mode. Try just hosting a non-dedicated lan game and see if that works.
  • Looks like a bug. I'll look into it.
  • edited January 2009
    You can go into online mode, and press"Insert" after the server list is fully loaded. When the dialog box pops up asking for the I.P. just type in the LAN IP address of the computer its on. I.E. "192.168.0.1"

It will show up twice if its already listed online, but have a internet IP for one and the LAN IP you entered for the other.

Ive been doing this alot lately, me and my friends are always together on our own small LAN, and then when Im at the g/fs where I host a small sever for us on her computer, I have to join via the LAN IP in online mode or I cant even get in the server. So it definitly works...
  • Also, internet players can join in as well this.

Otherwise, just install a base copy of Tribes 2 without the tribes2 nextpatch and play via the LAN mode. But then nobody but the people on ur LAN will be able to get in the server.
  • Are you using RC1C (from the torrent)? I believe RC1D had a basic fix to skip authentication in offline mode - and actually runs the server scripts in a listen server, so if it wasn't skipping people wouldn't be able to join.