Gametype

TheMap here again. Now that I have decided to commit to tribes I need some information. What is the most popular gametype? I checked over the mod section and it seems like there is numerous mods and tons of map add ons. Do people play the original?

Also does anyone have a link for possible client console commands? Examples: Draw fps, rates, packets ect ect.

Comments

• Classic is the most common mod played nowadays. Classic is fairly similar to vanilla T2, with more of an emphasis on quicker gameplay that favors smaller player counts and less team coordination. The change in physics increases infantry inertia, but leaves the vehicle physics completely untouched. This makes the infantry more powerful compared to the vehicles, but the inertia and gravity increases also take away some of the agility players have and increases the focus on skiing.

The BASE gameplay, often listed as "variant" now, is slower than classic and requires more team coordination to get things done. While infantry is more agile because of the lower gravity and inertia, they're also slower. There's more of a focus on the power of vehicles over the power of the infantry. BASE gameplay really shines with larger servers and vehicle oriented play.

You'll find that there's a split in the community over the game types. Some people swear by classic, others by BASE, and a few will enjoy both. Personally, I'm not fond of the mentality that one is "better" than the other. Both are fun in their own way. I enjoy classic more when playing smaller CTF maps, rabbit, or some of the other gametypes. I prefer BASE for larger CTF maps, I also tend to enjoy the larger maps overall more.
  • You'll find that there's a split in the community over the game types. Some people swear by classic, others by BASE, and a few will enjoy both. Personally, I'm not fond of the mentality that one is "better" than the other. Both are fun in their own way. I enjoy classic more when playing smaller CTF maps, rabbit, or some of the other gametypes. I prefer BASE for larger CTF maps, I also tend to enjoy the larger maps overall more.
    This is a good mentality to get into.
  • It's all about the classic man. T1 physics ftw.

And to say that it requires less team coordination to play classic over base is bullshit.
  • The predominant gametype is CTF

And to say that it requires less team coordination to play classic over base is bullshit.

You misunderstand me. Classic involves less team mates coordinating to get something done, while BASE requires more. A single heavy in classic can easily get across the map into the enemy base to attack it. In BASE, that same heavy will easily get taken out on his trip to the enemy. I'm not referring to the quality of the coordination so much as the volume of it.

If you want something done in classic, you can often do it yourself. In BASE, you're more likely to need back up.
  • I enjoy all the mods of T2... I am a whore like that! :P

And Wiimote is correct; HO runs take more time in base than in classic. For instance yesterday on GoonHaven the map was Lakefront and I was a Juggy attacking the enemy generator. I got a lift several times via transport, I also made several trips myself. Every trip was successful!

In a base server; the trip would take three times as long, even with an energy pack the long journey is slow and dangerous. Personally I'd never make the solo trip in base; I'd suit up as a mediun and grab a tank or wait for a ride.
  • Exactly, and there's nothing wrong with that. The focus of BASE is more on team work in general, while the focus of classic is more on solo roles as a part of a team.

You misunderstand me. Classic involves less team mates coordinating to get something done, while BASE requires more. A single heavy in classic can easily get across the map into the enemy base to attack it. In BASE, that same heavy will easily get taken out on his trip to the enemy. I'm not referring to the quality of the coordination so much as the volume of it.

If you want something done in classic, you can often do it yourself. In BASE, you're more likely to need back up.

You're telling me I can't go from ski in base and disable the inv's and gens in a single round? Half the time that's not what HO's do and it's still possible.

You die easier in base because it's harder to move to another base? Not likely, a skilled player will accomplish this reguardless. And vice versa.

- Due to the speed in classic you experince a shorter reaction time; Fact.
    - And in Base you are likely to see someone twice on your trip to the enemy base; Possibly, however this can still happen in classic!

Because of the speed it requires players to act and move faster requiring more teamwork, not less. In classic, you don't get a moment to stop, think, or breath. It requires all members of your team to be effective, not just a mass of players. The role of each players requires more than just one specific task.
  • You'll find that there's a split in the community over the game types. Some people swear by classic, others by BASE, and a few will enjoy both. Personally, I'm not fond of the mentality that one is "better" than the other. Both are fun in their own way. I enjoy classic more when playing smaller CTF maps, rabbit, or some of the other gametypes. I prefer BASE for larger CTF maps, I also tend to enjoy the larger maps overall more.

I'm done arguing with you. I have my opinion, you yours.
  • If you want something done in classic, you can often do it yourself. In BASE, you're more likely to need back up.
    Not if you are on defense.
  • Haven't played much base, have you? Just like in classic, it depends on the map.
  • Between base and classic, I tend to have a better time on classic, and not just because my experience with base relies on bots. Classic definitely moves a little faster, which is very good for me, because I die early and often, and want to get back to whatever my objective was as fast as possible. Mostly the reason I never load up heavy unless i'm TGing or being a human AA, they're just too slow for me.

And what's this LakRabbit I hear everyone reminiscing about?
  • LakRabbit is a modified form of the Rabbit gametype (duh). If you've never played Rabbit, it's pretty straight forward...

In Rabbit, there's a single flag. The player with the flag is an enemy to everyone without it, and vice versa. The longer you hold the flag, the more points you get. Whoever has the most points when the time is up, wins. The regular Rabbit gameplay encourages the Rabbit to run from everyone else.

LakRabbit is a little more complex... The basic idea is the same, one flag, you want to have the flag to get points. But you also score points from long distance shots, MA's, lancing the enemy, etc... These changes might seem fairly minor, but they encourage the Rabbit to fight instead.
  • Haven't played much base, have you? Just like in classic, it depends on the map.
    No it doesn't. I was in a match for #1 on the base TWL ladder back when it was popular. I shut down the other team's entire offense by myself on Deadly Bird's Song with just a laser rifle for 10 minutes. DBS is a very small map - on the easy side for the offense. When my game crashed, my team proceeded to lose the match before I was even able to restart my computer. The map is irrelevant. Defense is always overpowered in base. That is a fact. The only opinion here is that you prefer games where the defense is overpowered. Or maybe you just prefer games where everyone is forced to play the way you want them to play (using vehicles) in order to get things done.
    No it doesn't. I was in a match for #1 on the base TWL ladder back when it was popular. I shut down the other team's entire offense by myself on Deadly Bird's Song with just a laser rifle for 10 minutes. DBS is a very small map - on the easy side for the offense. When my game crashed, my team proceeded to lose the match before I was even able to restart my computer. The map is irrelevant. Defense is always overpowered in base. That is a fact. The only opinion here is that you prefer games where the defense is overpowered. Or maybe you just prefer games where everyone is forced to play the way you want them to play (using vehicles) in order to get things done.

And I've single handedly capped out on slapdash when I was facing a heavy with an MPB, his turrets, and a tank.

Cool, you're good at sniping, and you've had different experiences from me. I've found that taking down a sniper to get to a flag isn't all that hard.
  • Oh my bad. I should have known better than to compare my experience in top 5 ladder matches with your experiences against a random newb in a pub.
  • Oh my bad. I should have known better than to compare my experience in top 5 ladder matches with your experiences against a random newb in a pub.

Maybe...

I just know better than to take someone's word on something, especially over the internet. I'm going from what I've perceived as reality in the game, and you what you've supposedly perceived.

You say it only takes one defender on a BASE server to defend the flag. I've never seen that work.

Haha... not that I doubt you but the #2 team on the base ctf ladder's entire offense got stopped by 1 guy with a laser rifle?

Were they huge noobs or something?
  • Maybe...

I just know better than to take someone's word on something, especially over the internet. I'm going from what I've perceived as reality in the game, and you what you've supposedly perceived.

You say it only takes one defender on a BASE server to defend the flag. I've never seen that work.
    Fine. I can understand where you are coming from. As much as I would like to lace this post with possibly-subtle analogies that belittle your stance, I need to go feed my dog now before I forget to do it completely.
  • Maybe...

I just know better than to take someone's word on something, especially over the internet.

Then why are you posting? Oh right, to reflect your misconception to our newer players visiting the forums.

You're such a hypocrite.
  • Haha... not that I doubt you but the #2 team on the base ctf ladder's entire offense got stopped by 1 guy with a laser rifle?

Were they huge noobs or something?
    They were the #1 team. We were like #4 or something I don't remember exactly. We knew going into it that we were going to lose, yet somehow the game stayed dead even for 10 minutes which I played defense. Then, I crashed, and my team lost that map and the map after it in under 15 minutes.
  • Maybe...

I just know better than to take someone's word on something, especially over the internet.

Then why are you posting? Oh right, to reflect your misconception to our newer players visiting the forums.

You're such a hypocrite.

How so? I don't expect anyone to take my word for anything. I've clearly stated numerous times that what I'm posting is my own opinion.

I do find it adorable how you're making yourself out to be Kryand's personal sidekick though.
  • Not really, just the complete stupidity of your posts. You expect people to believe your Classic Vs. Base debate when you state things which are easily corrected if you have played even 1 map on either mod. Of course, you easily get bent out of shape when someone goes against your word of mouth.

As you said, you are very liberal.
  • Mmhmm. Think about what you posted, think about some of your earlier posts. I prefer BASE, and I show an obvious bias in favor of BASE. My opinions will be based off of that bias.

Also, you're agreeing that I'm liberal, which is synonymous with "open-minded".

Think about it.
  • I think he's trying to use that connotation of "liberal". You know, the one that's supposedly an insult within far-right rings.

But back to the topic at hand... I've seen a TeamRabbit2 entry in the gametypes list (which I don't have bot support for). Aside from sounding to me like Team Fortress 2, it appears to be a grab-the-flag-and-throw-into-goal type. What else does it have?
  • LOL. Ok ...

Obviously anything I say you will try to manipulate in your own little world. Do you really think someone with a bias should explaining the difference between, in this case, Classic and Base?

Your orginal post was fine, I don't see why your defending every little thing and making it personal? Try knocking some of that sand out when you get some spare time.
  • LOL. Ok ...

Obviously anything I say you will try to manipulate in your own little world.

How so?
    Do you really think someone with a bias should explaining the difference between, in this case, Classic and Base?

I've tried to explain the difference as best as I could without being bias. It's obvious that I enjoy BASE more, since I've said so myself.
    Your orginal post was fine, I don't see why your defending every little thing and making it personal? Try knocking some of that sand out when you get some spare time.

Okay, leave it at my original post then.
  • I thought this thread was about gametypes, not mods :p

Anyways, CTF is the most popular, but other gametypes like Siege and Arena are also popular.
  • The OP asked about mods and gametypes.
  • Oh, I only read gametypes, disregard that