Goon Haven - News, Info, Etc

Comments

• 32-man server is back up!
  • I can understand a high altitude bombing run, because it is safer. But when they put the bomber in orbit its taking it a little too far.
  • Not to mention dive bombing gives the bombardier a longer lock on the target
  • I usually hate when people start messing with the maps If you wanna lower the ceiling well just dont make it to low its hard enough sometimes to get a good crew as it is lol. What helped us against HALO bomber on HV was one simple rule you did it you were warned did it again and you were kicked simple.That way you dont have to mess with any maps.
  • just thought I'd say that I love this server.
    it's typically got loads of people on it. definitely my server of choice.
  • server seems to get really laggy for me when there are 40+ people on it at once, its usually fine with lower numbers. This happen to anyone else?
  • Not me...never hads an issue at all.
  • just thought I'd say that I love this server.
    it's typically got loads of people on it. definitely my server of choice.

Hi Friend... Sorry I was an ass ot you the other night with my grav cycle. ;)

Panatalones: I am fine with 60+ people in the server... you may want to check your ISP or something. It might be on your side. Dunno.
  • server seems to get really laggy for me when there are 40+ people on it at once, its usually fine with lower numbers. This happen to anyone else?

I will say that I notice "lag" or more accurately "warping" when there are, say... 40 people ON SCREEN at once with lots of action. I don't know how well the netcode handles that. I've got the packetrates maxed, so I really don't know of a way to fix that, sorry :\ It isn't bandwidth related though, as I'm only using 3mb of the 20mb pipe I have available.
  • Usually I only notice lag if I'm joining when it's already 60+, at which point it's usually slideshowing and I'll wait for the player count to drop a bit before rejoining. Otherwise, once I'm on I never notice any lag. I can't think of any time I've seen 40+ people on screen at the same time; the maps are usually large enough that it doesn't happen.
  • Hi Friend... Sorry I was an ass ot you the other night with my grav cycle. ;)

hahaha... I think I remember you, if you're the one who was repeatedly running me over. no problem.. I consider myself a tribes veteran but I'm still definitely not a pro. /embarrassed
  • for me the best tribes is on a very busy server, which is why your 64 player server rocks.

the maps are big enough that having 64 player on the same one doesn't result in total mayhem yet there are enough people to always have a bird of any kind in the air and somebody to watch your back, it makes it feel a lot more like a war.

love the game, love your server, just do me a favour and keep it with 40+ players, there are plenty of 32 players servers live right now and only yours with 40+.
  • I don't care what you do with your server so long as you keep it classic. Keep the new players coming! :)
  • Thanks for hosting the server. I haven't played in 5 years and it's a treat to play again.

I played for quite a while yesterday and it seemed like the assault tank and the mcb were always disabled. Is that right? If so, how come? Did the community come to a consensus that the assault tank killed gameplay?

I always fondly remember hopping in a tank with a friend and tearing some shit up.
  • I registered here just to thank the folks at Tribesnext for reviving the community, and also to thank the people who run the Goons server for running such a good one. It's a good server, and I appreciate what you guys do to keep it running smoothly. I doubt anybody's noticed me, but generally I play base/flag defense a lot there, and it's always been a blast.

But yeah, thanks. Though I've gone long periods, sometimes years, not picking up Tribes 2, it's like an old friend to myself, and I'm sure to many of us. Even now, it's so far ahead of its time that there's not a single game out that does all the things this one does so well, and so you guys are doing an invaluable job keeping such a gem alive.
  • I played for quite a while yesterday and it seemed like the assault tank and the mcb were always disabled. Is that right? If so, how come? Did the community come to a consensus that the assault tank killed gameplay?

No, it's just a bug that happens sometimes that unfortunately requires a server restart to fix.
  • Thanks for hosting the server. I haven't played in 5 years and it's a treat to play again.

I played for quite a while yesterday and it seemed like the assault tank and the mcb were always disabled. Is that right? If so, how come? Did the community come to a consensus that the assault tank killed gameplay?

I always fondly remember hopping in a tank with a friend and tearing some shit up.

No, it's just a bug that happens sometimes that unfortunately requires a server restart to fix.

What hurrr said is correct. Basically, there's some map in the rotation (I'm guessing a "classic CTF Tribes 1" map) that limits vehicles. It changes a server variable which ISN'T corrected when the new map loads.

My plan is that once I get the admin mods working, we'll have a set map rotation. If it keeps occurring, we'll find the problem maps and remove them OR I'll find the setting in the .mis file and correct it. Whichever causes less of an uproar.
  • There have been a lot of people in the server asking for more maps/maps to be removed, so if you feel this way, this is a good place to post saying what you think should be added and why, or what you think should be removed and why.
  • Two pieces of good news!

1) The 32 man (Goon Haven 32) is now permanently back up!

2) It features the Evolution Admin mod! The bestows a multitude of new features you may already be familiar with (like simple stats and other fun stuff), but it also has a documented and easy to understand MAP CYCLE. We will now have better control over the servers.

Sometime in the next 24 hours Goon Haven (64) will go down and have the evolution admin mod applied. I'm excited, how about you?

2) It features the Evolution Admin mod! The bestows a multitude of new features you may already be familiar with (like simple stats and other fun stuff), but it also has a documented and easy to understand MAP CYCLE. We will now have better control over the servers.

Sometime in the next 24 hours Goon Haven (64) will go down and have the evolution admin mod applied. I'm excited, how about you?

Hey everyone, just wanted to personally register on the forums and thank you all for enjoying Beaz's server so much and I am happy to help keep the server clean for you guys. I continuously join daily, only to be greeted by a warm "VGH". I love it. :)

Beaz- I am stoked to have the new Evo mod on the 64 man. It's going to definitely help the server out.
  • I figured it was something strange like that with the Tank enable bit. We finally got to play with a tank on Kabatic, but then got steam rolled. It was still awesome.
  • Please remove Desert of Death from the rotation
  • hey,

if we could get some non-ctf maps in the rotation, rabbit for example, it'd be great. if people don't want to play, they can just vote it off.

Very Excited, actually.... I enjoy your server, but not having a more streamlined rotation kind of sucked the wind out of my sails a bit. Now I am more pumped than ever.
    Please remove Desert of Death from the rotation

At least replace it with Desert of Death V if you really want to keep it. That is a fun map with vehicles.
  • Updated original post with website for Goon Haven servers. That site will host any required downloads (should they be required) for all servers.
  • Updated original post with website for Goon Haven servers. That site will host any required downloads (should they be required) for all servers.

Take my opinion for what it's worth, but one thing I think that would be just awesome is for someone to make a T2 essentials Zip or exe for addons. I know personally that there are a ton of addons I could care less about, but Filter Msg, Hal Deployer, and Buddypoints I could not do without.

Just something to think about for hosting on your site if you are interested in going that route. You could point people there from your server with the MOTD or something.
  • GOON HAVEN 32 - 99% Custom Map Rotation*

*except for Katabatic

Please fill that server up and try out the maps loaded on there so far. Let me know what you think and give me some more suggestions (I'd PREFER vehicle maps). Popular maps will be moved over to the 64 slot server.
  • Since you support support such a large numbers of players how about larger maps like Ghosts of Ymir in the rotaion?

"Defend the Nexus"
  • Ghosts of Ymir is in the rotation on the 64 person server.
  • Please open maps up fogwise, either by editing old maps or when you make new ones. 250 to 450 meter visual distance is retarded in 2009. No one runs a voodoo card anymore, so set the visual range to 600 or 700 or even more. Please.