Gametype

2»

Comments

• I think he's trying to use that connotation of "liberal". You know, the one that's supposedly an insult within far-right rings.

But back to the topic at hand... I've seen a TeamRabbit2 entry in the gametypes list (which I don't have bot support for). Aside from sounding to me like Team Fortress 2, it appears to be a grab-the-flag-and-throw-into-goal type. What else does it have?
    It's hockey with a flag.

I guess.

Basically, you pass the flag around to your team. The other team can kill you/intercept it. The "coolness" of the manner in which the flag is passed will result in a certain amount of points being added to a jackpot. In order to win the jackpot and have it added to your team's score, you need to throw the flag into the other team's goal. Originally, there were different positions, including goalies and defense/offense, but eventually the people who actually took TR2 seriously decided to completely dumb it down and make it lights-only. I think they also look down on you if you use any weapons of any kind.

They made a few changes to game mechanics. One of which being that you can charge up a flag pass as you can with hand grenades, you can "beacon stop" (come to a complete stop by placing a beacon, like you could in Tribes 1), and probably more that I am forgetting. Also, the OOB grid is "bouncy", like in the latest versions of LakRabbit.

To add to that, In the last active TR2 group in Tribes 2 that I played with, a goal could only be scored by the use of slapping. That is, when a player holds his throw flag button down right before receiving a pass, he'll make a full charge "slap" at the flag, sort of like a one-timer in hockey. In my opinion, this made goal scoring much more skillful, fun, and teamwork oriented.

The use of weapon's was okay, but using them against anyone who didn't have the flag or wasn't a part of the play at the time, was generally frowned upon. Beacons were mainly used for beacon "popping" where you converted your downward momentum into upward once you planted a beacon.

It's true that the later version did only have 1 armor, and the above changes, but I think all the changes made it even better. A few years ago we had TR2 ladders, with a player base roughly the same size as this one... maybe we'll see another revival if the others come back.
  • I was sincerely hoping that every post on tribesnext.com wouldn't turn into a war on opinions of base vs. classic. For me it depends on who is in the server at the time. For example:

I like playing on goon haven because of guys like thebeaz, and other buddies of mine that have migrated over from REBELS and EWo frequent that server.

I also play on ## { dggs } fast v2 quite a bit simply because I have NEVER been tked on that server and everyone there plays clean. RB10 is a great server admin, mooseknuckles, Tiger and other players are great team-mates and opponents. Not a big fan of the bots though, but they will soon disappear as more players realize how much { dggs } kicks ass.

I enjoy branzone.com because all the cats there are hardcore and you don't usually come across any trouble makers.

Classic, Base, and V2 are all my faves for different reasons. I like the purity of classic and the challenge of base. I like the speed and convenience of V2.

I do not like MOD ZEALOTS. These are the folks who run around bitching up a
    storm that one mod is better than another CONSTANTLY and that players of a mod opposed to their own are dumb/idiots/worthless because they like something different.

Fine. We understand you love a specific mod. Tribes2 has been around long enough for practically everyone to have tried all the popular mod types. We know what we like. Don't try to tell us otherwise.
  • I do not like MOD ZEALOTS. These are the folks who run around bitching up a
    storm that one mod is better than another CONSTANTLY and that players of a mod opposed to their own are dumb/idiots/worthless because they like something different.
    Then you should really just find a different game.
  • Some of us like variety; we get bored playing the same ole mod over and over and over again. Sorta like katabatic aka groundhog map!

Wrong. The game is not the problem. The few MOD ZEALOTS like yourself that post obnoxiously opinionated derogatory statements toward other players are the problem. The other 99% of us who accept the various game types, mods and playing styles can't stand people like you.

Luckily you don't have to be this rude forever. You can change and become a part of what's happening here rather than always antagonizing and slowing the progress of the tribes 2 community.

Let me put this into terms you can understand. Stop being a dick.

Wrong. The game is not the problem. The few MOD ZEALOTS like yourself that post obnoxiously opinionated derogatory statements toward other players are the problem. The other 99% of us who accept the various game types, mods and playing styles can't stand people like you.

Luckily you don't have to be this rude forever. You can change and become a part of what's happening here rather than always antagonizing and slowing the progress of the tribes 2 community.

LOL "few"? You are in for a massive rude awakening if this game picks back up. Tribes 2 has always been filled to the brim with people who play one mod and insult all the others. I'm just trying to be nice and let you know what's coming. Guys like you are the "few".
  • My favorite mod is Tribes 2.
  • My favorite mod is Tribes 2.

Hear hear!

Actually, depending on how it would be changed for T2, I'd like to see EliteRen make a comeback :)

LOL "few"? You are in for a massive rude awakening if this game picks back up. Tribes 2 has always been filled to the brim with people who play one mod and insult all the others. I'm just trying to be nice and let you know what's coming. Guys like you are the "few".

Well Kryand, let's see, I have had dozens of conversations with tribes players of varied experience levels and have found that only very few will insult a member holding a different opinion than their own.

As proof I would like you to consider this forum. If you review the various topics and posts you will find that less than one percent of the overall posting population is offensive toward other members who play other game types or mods.

That one percent is you, Kryand. Stop being a dick.
  • lol@groundhog map
  • Well Kryand, let's see, I have had dozens of conversations with tribes players of varied experience levels and have found that only very few will insult a member holding a different opinion than their own.

As proof I would like you to consider this forum. If you review the various topics and posts you will find that less than one percent of the overall posting population is offensive toward other members who play other game types or mods.

You must be blind then. Out of all the people I've seen mention Version2 on this forum, more than half of them were expressing hate toward it.

Not to mention the fact that this forum represents a minute slice of the Tribes 2 community. A majority of this slice is taken from Tribes 2 players who really don't understand the game and only play it just for the hell of it. People like myself and Projectile are this forum's only connection with the largest portion of the former Tribes 2 community. A majority of Tribes 2 players choose not to post here because this place comes off as being oriented for newbies.

Like I said, you are in for a rude awakening if this game becomes active enough to support competition.
  • Well Kryand, let's see, I have had dozens of conversations with tribes players of varied experience levels and have found that only very few will insult a member holding a different opinion than their own.

You must be blind then. Out of all the people I've seen mention Version2 on this forum, more than half of them were expressing hate toward it.

Not to mention the fact that this forum represents a minute slice of the Tribes 2 community. A majority of this slice is taken from Tribes 2 players who really don't understand the game and only play it just for the hell of it. People like myself and Projectile are this forum's only connection with the largest portion of the former Tribes 2 community. A majority of Tribes 2 players choose not to post here because this place comes off as being oriented for newbies.

Like I said, you are in for a rude awakening if this game becomes active enough to support competition.

Fine... lead them to your site, make a home and haunt it!

Here we go again... a comp player talking like they are the last facet of the T2 community.

Same ole conversation from threads in the construct and v2 rebellion. Give it a rest; not everyone likes classic or wants anything to do with the comp facet of T2. These rants of your's do you and your friends more harm than good.

If you and your compadres don't learn internet etiquette in a hurry your about to derail any hopes of healthy ladder competition. Why would any intelligent friendly adult or responsible parent have anything to do with your vision of T2 competition?

If you and your friends represent the opinions and mindset of the T2 competition community, then I want no part of it!
  • Just a small note here:

As of this moment, this forum pretty much represents the Tribes 2 community. It appears that a very small portion of this forum is more interested in competition than Tribes 2 as a game.

Now, the competitive mindset concerning Tribes 2 definitely doesn't start that way. It starts off as a "hey, this game might be interesting, let's give it a shot". The new players probably aren't going to latch on to the first handful of maps they play, they'll probably try out the different armors, weapons, vehicles, and even possibly want to see different maps.

If a map is "noob friendly", at this point and time, that's going to be a good thing. Jumping straight into the competitions is cool and all if you can get some groups together to do that, but let's organize the pubs around the idea of getting the noobs interested in the game. That's what we need now.
  • Jumping straight into the competitions is cool and all if you can get some groups together to do that, but let's organize the pubs around the idea of getting the noobs interested in the game. That's what we need now.

Organized pubs? Has that ever happened?

You have to think of building with an already experienced player level and new players. Games new off the shelf succeed due to people wanting competition from day one! And even when it comes, there is always a division.
  • Organize the pubs around a concept. Not directly attempting to get the players on a pub to organize. That means for the experienced players to be willing to stop playing for a few minutes to help out some of the new players.

As for the success of games from the shelf... You're absolutely right! That's why the Grand Theft Auto series has done so well, because of the online competition. Same for the Final Fantasy series, and Metal Gear Solid. None of those would have succeeded if it wasn't for the extremely competitive online play!
  • Organize the pubs around a concept. Not directly attempting to get the players on a pub to organize. That means for the experienced players to be willing to stop playing for a few minutes to help out some of the new players.

As for the success of games from the shelf... You're absolutely right! That's why the Grand Theft Auto series has done so well, because of the online competition. Same for the Final Fantasy series, and Metal Gear Solid. None of those would have succeeded if it wasn't for the extremely competitive online play!

Good point WiiMote.

Don't forget Myst, Doom, SimCity (actually all simulation games), Morrowind and Oblivion, Portal, should I keep going?

Competition is not the end all and be all of games. Some of us like to challenge ourselves, too.
  • It was a cheap shot.

It'd be nice if we could get some clan/tribe/team/whateveryouwannacallit support back in. We could organize a semi official group of players with a HELPER clan tag. A player has a question, they could ask anyone with the HELPER tag. The point behind this is two-fold, it will give the newbs an obvious player to direct their questions at, but a player could also turn off their tag if they don't want to be bothered. Let's face it, sometimes we just want to play.
  • Good point by using games which don't haven an online aspect? What portion of Tribes has ever been single player?

The experienced players most likely will not do this in a large pub. And definately not with players rejecting the idea.

Organize around a concept? How about the concept of different levels of play? Which has been suggested previously by the maps in rotation.
  • Do not flame in threads please. Keep it civil, or I will keep it civil, and no one wants that. :) Continue your friendly discussion.
  • It was a cheap shot.

It'd be nice if we could get some clan/tribe/team/whateveryouwannacallit support back in. We could organize a semi official group of players with a HELPER clan tag. A player has a question, they could ask anyone with the HELPER tag. The point behind this is two-fold, it will give the newbs an obvious player to direct their questions at, but a player could also turn off their tag if they don't want to be bothered. Let's face it, sometimes we just want to play.

Wait. What?

Your suggested the notion we should have teams? They will group and learn together and from each other? I think you have a good idea!
  • No, I suggested we have a group of players with a tag that designates them as an obvious newbie friendly player that can be asked questions by newbies. It has nothing to do with being a team of players working together and learning from one another. There's no tryouts, no team play, no clan advancement, nothing like that. Just a simple tag to let people know who they can talk to.

My focus right now is to bring more players in and garner more interest from the general public. Everything else is a distant second as I see it.

I mentioned in another thread that I'm going to attempt putting together a gameplay video that touches on the various aspects of Tribes 2. I'm not going to do it to some crappy Limp Bizkit music or something, and I'm not going to take a bunch of my "good" videos.

I plan for it to be a video that's going to focus on teaching newer players the key points of Tribes 2. If I die because I did something stupid, then it will be in the video. If I completely whiff an easy MA shot, it will be in the video. If I flip over in my shrike and crash for whatever reason, it will be in the video. The only addition to the video will be my own commentary. I will probably cut the video into seperate sections so I can focus on various aspects of the game, and also so I can show a few different maps.

It's main focus will be showing the basics, but it will include real gameplay footage, nothing cut together to try to improve people's opinion of my T2 skills. I admit, I'm not the greatest T2 player, and I'm probably not even up to snuff for the lowest form of competitive play. Personally, I think that's best for this kind of thing, because it will show that even the veterans can play poorly, but have loads of fun.
  • edited January 2009
    Buhlitz made a video like that for Legions. I was going to suggest to the Classic guys making an advanced version of the video that shows cap routes, HO routes, how to play defense properly, and other things important for higher-level play.
    Edit to add link: http://www.legionsplayers.com/videos/survival-guide/

Also, your example naming single-player games and calling them successful was a bad one. Then again, the way Spinal worded his point sorta called for it. The appeal for a new game is all about flashy stuff like graphics and marketing. Things like that draw players in and might keep them there for a while. Decent gameplay will also keep them for a while. However, people will stop playing those games pretty soon. All of the games you mentioned died down faster than Tribes 2 did until their sequels were released.

Tribes 2 has absolutely no flash to speak of. All of the good things about this game are in its design, which is a place that most gamers now-a-days don't even know how to find. People are just going to leave if there's not something else to keep them here. It's only been one month, so the activity is still pretty good. But I'd bet in another month or maybe two, if competition doesn't start up, we won't have enough players left in pubs to fill more than 1 server - and it probably won't be the 64-man. This game will not climb out of that hole again - that was a one shot deal. It's ok to cater to newbs for a little while, but this game doesn't have forever to wait for them to get better.
  • Buhlitz made a video like that for Legions. I was going to suggest to the Classic guys making an advanced version of the video that shows cap routes, HO routes, how to play defense properly, and other things important for higher-level play.
    Edit to add link: http://www.legionsplayers.com/videos/survival-guide/

I'm just going to stick to the basics. But I might take a peak at that. I wasn't too impressed with legions personally. Looks pretty.
    Also, your example naming single-player games and calling them successful was a bad one. Then again, the way Spinal worded his point sorta called for it. The appeal for a new game is all about flashy stuff like graphics and marketing. Things like that draw players in and might keep them there for a while. Decent gameplay will also keep them for a while. However, people will stop playing those games pretty soon. All of the games you mentioned died down faster than Tribes 2 did until their sequels were released.

Yeah, I already said it was a cheap shot. Still, I think the primary thing that keeps older games going is all in the mods. Ever played The Specialists for Half Life? If not, you should. It's awesome. The mod has always had some of the weapons that were much more powerful, or much less powerful than others. Didn't matter, it's still fun as hell. Plus, it's always fun to own everyone with the weapon that's known to be a piece of crap... I loved my little BB shooting Ruger.
    Tribes 2 has absolutely no flash to speak of.

I wouldn't say that. It was a pretty game for the time, and it's aged well. I'm still impressed by some of the things they did in the game. Maybe it's just these rose-tinted glasses though.
    All of the good things about this game are in its design, which is a place that most gamers now-a-days don't even know how to find.

Couldn't agree with you more. It's a problem I see a lot nowadays.
    People are just going to leave if there's not something else to keep them here. It's only been one month, so the activity is still pretty good. But I'd bet in another month or maybe two, if competition doesn't start up, we won't have enough players left in pubs to fill more than 1 server - and it probably won't be the 64-man. This game will not climb out of that hole again - that was a one shot deal. It's ok to cater to newbs for a little while, but this game doesn't have forever to wait for them to get better.

I don't believe that. I stuck with Tribes 2 until my computer died, and the first thing I planned to do when I got a new one was download Tribes 2 again (and lo and behold, TribesNext happened as soon as I got one). I never played competitively at all. It might have something to do with me getting into the game reletively early, but I think it's more because it's a good game. I got into Unreal Tournament, loved it, moved on to UT2k3, then 4, loved them, but I hardly play any of those any more, and I still load up Tribes 2 almost every night.