The GREAT TRIBAL WAR! (wheeee!)

Comments

• edited January 2009
    Any chance of you releasing an open source code version?
    It would be nice to maybe let people mod or add to it in the future.

Not likely, however if you are interested in helping with the mod I'm always looking for talented coders. I have GTW 2 to make still. Send your resume and contact info to me at my email address GokouZWAR AT comcast DOT net. I am especially interested in anyone living in the Memphis, TN area.

GokouZWAR
  • edited January 2009
    Gokou, will you be releasing the updated server files so others can host gtw?

update:

tried using the gtw files that are hosted right now, didn't work for me. :( I must be missing something as I can start the game with any of the maps and I know it is using the gtw folder but I always spawn in mid air with no switch to be found. :(

update 2:

realized why it would spawn me in mid-air i think. Now I can't spawn at all! :(

If i can ever get this thing to work I would be willing to have it run 24/7
  • Also, teratos is a dirty liar.

Don't make me dig up a recording.
  • My god...

Why did i never pay attention to this back in the day?
  • There was only i think 2 servers around when it was out. I was lucky enough to see it though. :)
  • I only got to play it once or twice back then. Loved it, then it died.

If any mod should be packaged along with the next patch, GTW would be it.
  • We had such a great time this past weekend at the GTW pickup, i'm thinkin we need to have another. I was quite disapointed in the turn out of only 20-30 players. We can do much better than that!

I'm thinking tenitively we should shoot for saturday night. Anyone want to second that? Say like 6 or 7pm Est till about 11 or 12am Est?

Gimme some votes. I can't do it friday nights or saturday mornings as I got school, but you guys can organize whatever you want without me. We can make it a GTW weekend if you want, we'll have one pickup friday, saturday and sunday nights starting at 7pm - 11pm est if you guys feel up to it.

GokouZWAR
  • You need to do a better job announcing.
    Announce it here, on TW, and maybe have an IRC channel on irc.tribalwar.com ??
  • You need to do a better job announcing.
    Announce it here, on TW, and maybe have an IRC channel on irc.tribalwar.com ??
    Why not in irc.Arloria.net, where it'll be listed on the Tribes 2 channel list?
  • We had such a great time this past weekend at the GTW pickup, i'm thinkin we need to have another. I was quite disapointed in the turn out of only 20-30 players. We can do much better than that!

I'm thinking tenitively we should shoot for saturday night. Anyone want to second that? Say like 6 or 7pm Est till about 11 or 12am Est?

Gimme some votes. I can't do it friday nights or saturday mornings as I got school, but you guys can organize whatever you want without me. We can make it a GTW weekend if you want, we'll have one pickup friday, saturday and sunday nights starting at 7pm - 11pm est if you guys feel up to it.

GokouZWAR

I'm totally up for it, but I'm on call at #1 work. Might not be able to make it.

Already downloaded, installed, and tested GTW. Ready to play.
  • Saturday works best for me, too. I've got plans for Friday evening.
  • I have a channel on the IRC thing when I'm on. It's /gtw. For now it goes when I leave unless someone is in it with me and stays there till I get back.

I'll talk with krash about getting a default channel setup maybe. Hell construction mod has one, maybe they'll get us one too.

k so I got some votes for saturday evening, will anyone be on friday or sunday evening or should we just do it saturday?
  • GTW version 1.52 released. See notes below for details. Last big bug finally fixed. Now I can get on with more fun stuff like new maps and fixing the ones we have already! Horray!

GokouZWAR

Great Tribal War Version 1.52
    Developed by GokouZWAR

>
    <

Full Installation:
    Please note you must have the full Tribes 2 game in order to play. This can be obtained for free from http://www.tribesnext.com

Copy the GTW.VL2 file into your gamedata/base folder.
    Delete all .DSO files from all directories
    ENJOY!

>
    <

GTW Gameplay and Objectives:

Objectives:
    Destroy the enemy Global Position Targeter (GPT). First team to do so while still living wins. -Primary Objective!
    It is possible for both GPTs to be destroyed, after both are destroyed the game is a last man standing wins situation.

Common Gameplay Tips:
    Each Team has a set of packs that drop at the start. Find the packs and deploy them within 50 meters of your GPT. Failure to do so

may result in your team's defeat.
    If you don't see the packs check your back to make sure you didn't spawn on one and picked it up and try to search the surrounding

area. Sometimes they slide down hillsides a little ways.
    Your GPT is invincible if powered.
    If you deploy items too far away from power they won't work. Keep everything within 50 meters of a power source (IE solar panel)
    If you do deploy an item too far away, use your deconstruct gun to get
    You can have more than one power source for your base creating a backup power system.
    Some things can be deployed on the ceilings and walls.
    If your GPT is not deployed your teammates won't be able to spawn.
    Vehicles are obtained from inventory stations via your inventory menu using the "packs" section.
    Base objects are also obtained from inventory stations in the same manner.
    Large Base turret barrels are changed by having the turret in pack form on your player and hitting the beacon button to swap thru

them.

>
    <

Changes in this version:

Revamped entire endgame senario. (Updated rules to reflect, removed limited spawns)
    Enemy team is no longer able to pickup your team's GPT when in pack form preventing the endgame from properly executing.
    GPT will auto deploy after 30 seconds in pack form if not picked up or if no one can get to it for some reason, (IE enemy camping

it).

>
    <
    Fixed Bugs in this version:

Players can now cycle to the deconstructor weapon properly via normal methods or using their keypads to choose the deconstructor.

>
    <

Known Bugs:

Occationally at the start of the match you will spawn in another location away from your GPT.
    Just die once and you'll respawn at the GPT properly.

>
    <

Change History:

V1.51
    Players properly spawn into the game when joining or after death and the GPT is recently deployed.

V1.50
    Revamped entire endgame senario. (Updated rules to reflect, removed limited spawns)
    Enemy team is no longer able to pickup your team's GPT when in pack form preventing the endgame from properly executing.
    GPT will auto deploy after 30 seconds in pack form if not picked up or if no one can get to it for some reason, (IE enemy camping

it).

V1.4:
    Removed disc cone of fire
    Lowered Jetpack power
    Code endgame for deconstructed GPT and no players [BugsPray]
    Increase chain gun firing radius [Gokou]
    Code Deconstruct gun to default weapon like the laser targeter. [BugsPray]
    Edit the links on the startup to the proper location.
    Code in the new pack shape files [Gokou]
    Fix the team names to show up at the end instead of “defenders” and “attackers” [BugsPray]

>
    <

Technical Issues:
    [email protected] (BUG REPORTS ONLY PLEASE)
    Server files only available to Mod programmers until we start seeing the main GTW server filling up a lot.

Forums: PENDING
  • Grats ppl, this topic is now the most read and most replies on the forum! Keep it live! Anyone have any nifty ideas for us to add to the game?

Also we have need for modelers. I'm looking to redo all the game objects. Contact me and we'll discuss what we can do!

GokouZWAR
  • The 1.52 version a server side hotfix? Or do clients need to download it as well?
  • Server Side fix. Read above notes. Client files will only need to be downloaded if I make a new map or add some new models in which i'm considering doing FYI.

GokouZWAR
  • What kind of models are you looking to do? I did some stuff in blender a while back for fun, pretty easy to use.
  • I'm looking to remake the GPT model. Since it's the primary objective, I'd like it to look better than the capture and hold switch/flipflop (whatever you wanna call it). I'd also like to make some custom packs for the shrike, Havoc, thundersword bomber that have a foldout animation when they're deployed, vs just have it "appear" above your head. Stuff like that. I had a solar pack shape at one point as well that looked pretty good but it never got textured and I don't have the original file anymore. I just have the converted DTS file. (it's actually in your vl2 file if you want to look at it).

GokouZWAR
  • Ok so I got a report of some new/old bugs. Apparently these just haven't been noticed till recently but they've probably been around for a while.

1. (minor) if you drop health packs on the ground, they apparently will set that location as a permanant spawn point for health packs. I will probably fix this by not allowing you to toss health packs since probably no one ever does that. :P (If you wanna help your buddy, grab a repair pack.)

2. (Medium) Limits of deployables: Yes it's possible to setup 30 sentry turrets side by side in a single location near your GPT and one shot kill any enemy who happens past your booby trap. That's a bit much. I was able to hold my own base last night using similar tactics and i'm tossing around the idea of leaving it in. However, I'm also tossing around the idea of having a deploy radius on such items such as sentry turrets and other types of "Weapon-Based" deployables such as base turrets and other objects along those lines. Inventory stations I'll probably throw one in there so ppl quit using them as walls or blockades as well. I'll prolly put a 10 meter limit on those so they have to be spaced out a bit more. I'll review some other things along these lines to see what other things may need deploy limits.

3. (Major) Ok this one is a bannable offense if anyone is using it. I'm putting it up here so people know not to do it and that they would know what causes it to avoid it. Also if you do this it borks up the endgame so don't do it. Basically you can duplicate your GPT by having a teammate attempt to deconstruct the GPT at the same time as you, and what it does is create 2 GPT packs to which both of you can deploy and have a second GPT. Basically what that does is when one blows up, you can still spawn and it'll constantly give you the message that your enemy team has players on their team and it'll jack up the game after you destroy the rest of the GPTs and the enemy can't spawn. Of course this is entirely against game-play rules so if I or any of the admins catching you doing it then ur banned from the server for no less than 7 days after which I'll take petitions via PM for reinstating you into the game server.

IF you do this by accident or something, you should notify the enemy team immediately and any admin on the server. Right now the only other admin i have is GuyFugly other than myself on the server at this time. When the sitation occurs the admin (or the enemy team) should either vote to change the map or decide if they want to continue and destroy one of the GPTs that was created, in which case if after the enemy GPT is destroyed and all players can no longer spawn then a new map should be voted on, or the admin can switch the map manually. This bug will be top priority for me to fix at this time so look for this to be released in v1.53 which hopefully I'll have in place by saturday for this weekend's pickup. If I can fix the other bugs before then that'll help but I think the #2 thing will take a bit of work.

The other thing I plan to add is the low player mode, where when a team has 4 or less players on the team then the following things will be allowed (I may add more to this as well):

1) The GPT will be allowed to be moved via teleporter

2) Remote inventory stations (these are not the large inventory stations mind you) will be considered a "small" pack and you will be able to carry them on grav cycles, shrikes, and other vehicles not normally allowing this pack type.

3) The deployable limits that I plan to add in the #2 bug fixes above will be off to allow you to deploy items in invalid locations (I haven't figured out how I plan to make the deployed locations "invalid" after the team has more players, but we'll see how it goes. I may just lower the attack power of those items and when ur team has low player count that the attack power will be upped.)

Another thing I plan to add is a team change limit. After being in the game 30 seconds you will not be allowed to change teams or switch teams. And if you switch teams then you will no longer be able to change your team back. Admins will probably be allowed to override the team change. This one may be a little difficult because of other fixes I've made, but it's on my list of improvements. Look for this one in v1.6 or later.

Finally, the last thing on my list of improvements is to create a custom tournament mode. What I plan to do with this is once the game officially starts one team will be allowed to spawn 10 minutes ahead of the other team on the map. Now your probably wondering why? This will be a feature I plan to continue to expand on for competition GTW game play. What this would simulate is an attacking force upon a defending force. The defending force will get a 5-10 minute head start on the attacking team. This will allow them to set their place for their GPT, setup defenses and plan for the enemy attack by getting patrolling air forces into the sky or setup tank teams to prepair for incoming attacks, or position themselves into a place where they may think the enemy will start near. This will make the attacking force start a bit of a disadvantage, however stealth is key to getting themselves setup. Future plans to come with this.

GokouZWAR
  • edited February 2009
    Small suggestion:

Make the initial inventory station and solar panel permanent, and possibly indestructable, or add a repair pack next to them. Either that, or add a function that causes them to autodestruct after 10 minutes or so after the map begins.

Also, something to consider, make sensors able to pick up any teleporter deployed within their range, regardless of if they're behind a wall or not. Or if it's possible, make the teleporter only visible while being used (a five second window or so), which would encourage a player with a SJ pack to monitor the TP and give their team mates a ready signal. The CC has already shown to be extremely useful in GTW, I'd like to see it get a bit more attention.
  • I would strongly suggest giving base turrets greater range, maybe equal to large sensor radar range. As it stands, they're mostly useless for defense against aerial targets until they get in up close, and if its a transport or even a bomber it's usually too late. And since their range is shorter than Shrike blasters, they're easy to pick off at a distance.

PS: I'm totally for putting a minimum allowed distance for all deployable turrets.

PPS: I think you only made me a temp admin on MaxOGC because it wore off or something, Gokouz.
  • I'll get you the admin password via PM on here. Use the console to type it in. It'll allow you super admin rights which will let you reset the server as well.

Command is: sad("password here");

Turret ranges, not sure what they're at now, but if it's under 500, I'll defenatly expand it.

As far as the initial drop point items, I'll prolly leave that alone, mostly because if the solar panel is permanent and indestructable, why bother moving anything? The game cannot end if the GPT's power is not removed. It's shield will hold until the power is removed no matter how much pounding you put on it. I'd personally like to test a mass spamage of mortars by like 20 players, but I believe that the GPT can hold even that as long as it's powered. I might consider adding a repair pack drop though, that is a good idea. Of course the initial drop, you should go for a remote inventory station and get it deployed nearby so if you lose your base items you can at least pull out the basic items to get it back up and running.

The CC is actually one area that's quite lacking due to limitations of the engine since you can't really see the ground terrain until you zoom in. You also can't issue some commands until you do that such as a waypoint. The CC is a key component to finding the enemy initially. I've also thought of expanding the radar range of the shrike sensors to assist in locating the enemy, however, Teleporters being spacifically visible on radar even if they're behind a wall or not, i'm a bit against that for 2 reasons. 1, I'm not sure if it's possible to change that without changing everything, 2. it allows for stealth. I like the stealth capabilities in GTW, it is another key aspect to the game. Surprise attacks are a basic tactic in any kind of combat so I want to be able to leave that in. I don't really want to help the defending team out all that much. It requires patrolling and some sort of active defensive posture to keep your base safe from the enemy which is a key concept in any combat situation.

All good suggestions though. We'll defenatly be working on some of these items.

GokouZWAR
  • Sorry I couldn't make the pickup on Saturday, again.

To make up for it, I'm gonna host a pickup this Wednesday night, 7pm EST seems to be a good time for these. I'll put up a notice in the main PU thread.
  • edited February 2009
    K thanks, I'm going to try to be there as well, but wedensdays are screwy for me if the wife goes to church, cuz then I'll have the baby, which makes game playing hard.

FYI I figured out the object duplicating bug so i'm going to try to apply that patch this afternoon. I'm going to try to get some of these other bugs worked out as well and hopefully we'll get a good test tonight with the new setups.

EDIT: Also fixed the infinate repair kit spawn bug. Now it just picks up the pack and never comes back! :)

Second Edit: Apparently I wasn't able to fix the GPT dupe error so the above rules still apply, no duping the GPT or we'll have to ban you from the server. Play nice and play by the rules.

GokouZWAR
  • We lost. Again.
  • edited February 2009
    we lost 2 - 1, but hey it's a fun game anyway :P If anyone had any recordings from last night's match please email them to me: GokouZWAR AT comcast DOT net, especially from that epic fight we had chasing down you guy's GPT on Manak 1 map during the last map! That was an awsome battle...

For those of you who missed it, you should come to pickups more often...It'll hopefully be in the YouTube Video! :)

Thanks!

GokouZWAR
  • Lets play again today. Actually, lets play RIGHT now!
  • Eh. I'd be up for a game.

I've got at least one other person, so we could do 2 on 2.
  • edited February 2009
    Still waitin on those recordings. I got mine converted over to AVI so I got my perspective, who was flying the shrike that shot us both down! Please tell me u got a video of your angle...I know someone on that bomber had to have been recording their perspective too...i mean that was an awesome chase we did...send those .rec in now!!! I wanna make this video!!

GokouZWAR
  • No video, no recording, and I saw no one behind us. We landed, fended off a few guys, then we lost.