System Requirements

You know; ram, video card specs. What do I need to fire it up. I haven't played this game since it was on PS2 and I fell in love with it. I'm out of touch with PC gaming but I'm willing to get my shit together to play this game for free.

Get ready for the rain! -Golden Shower

Comments

• According to Wikipedia...
    Pentium II 500MHz

Windows 95/98, 2000, NT 4.0 64MB RAM 531MB Hard drive space 12MB video card (16-bit color DirectX-compatible) 16-bit DirectX-compatible sound card 4x CD-ROM
  • Those are a little higher with the patch...since you have to do some number crunching for account related majiks.
  • Mmmm, thank you. :D
  • if your computer is new enough to have SATA plugs it's new enough to run tribesnext.
  • T2 was written when the Athlon 1400 cpu's came out, and top of the line vid card was the gf3. More or less T2 was written for a combo like that, but it ran on a lot of tnt2s, 3dfx's, and rage128s fed by Pentium III's and K6 450s. Most any system today than that has an actual video card is likely a good candidate for some t2 action, some being better off than others.

Some general specs:
    P4 or better Intel cpu
    AthlonXP or better amd cpu
    gf2 or better for nvid
    radeon 8500 or better for ati/amd
    512megs ram
    enough hdd space
    sound card rather than onboard sound usualy lowers cpu usage if you have one
    T2 plays fine on dialup, you'll just live better on broadband

Now if you want 16xAF and 4xAA at 100FPS in all cases, you need to up the specs a good deal. Even though T2 is old, it can bring some fairly powerfull cards to their knees in some cases.
  • I actually hear the second fan kick in on my box every now and then, usually in cases of mortar or other explosive spam. I'm somewhat surprised that Tribes can still do a number on even today's boxen.
  • It's due the wide open spaces and multiple players/projectiles in view, along with, sometimes, piss poor mapping.
  • I am running it right now on an AMD Duron 866 with a gig of ram and a Geforce7 series card. The only time it ran slow was during rsa encryption key generation. Other than that, 866mhz is fast enough for next.
  • The thing about slow, older generation AMD chips is they usualy have 3 fairly powerful fp engines to same gen Intel's 2 weak ones, and often run better in games than the same speed p3 or p4 chip. Floating point power is really low in the p4 cpus, they're only worthy at 2.8GHz and faster. Now if they had gotten the p4 series to 5GHz and above, where they were actualy designed to operate, their long instruction pipeline would have been an asset rather than the hindrance it is.
  • hilarious once you realise hyperthreading was actually an accident brought on by an inefficient pipeline.

P2 slot processor and a voodoo 3 PCI videocard was my first tribes machine, all on ~30kbps dialup connections. Game actually ran quite smoothly as long as I remembered to turn some settings down when I joined a Meltdown or WAR server.
  • golden are you a friend of Cleveland steamer?
  • golden are you a friend of Cleveland steamer?

What about his mexican neighbor, Dirty Sanchez.
  • Im a distant relative of the Texas chili bowl