Update: $50 via paypal to the person who can fix my problem with Tribes2.

Video can be found here, be sure to watch it in HD if you want better quality. Sorry for the weird blurriness on the video, that's youtube not allowing the original quality of my footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjzJ0Co9FcE

I can't figure out how to stop this from happening. A few facts about this bug:

-Third person (pressing TAB) will instantly cause it to stop flickering, and it will never begin flickering while in third person.
-For some weapons it seems to do it more than others (chaingun/sniper rifle) which is evident in the video with the sniper rifle, however, it is possible that it can (and it does) occur with any weapons out.
-After (and only after) the flickering begins to start, I can find a direction to look at where it does it most often. If I turn my camera from that spot, it'll cease entirely or stop doing it as frequently. However, it also seems to occur anywhere at times.

These are the things I've done to try and rectify the situation:

-Reinstall Tribes2
-Reinstall Tribes2 and play with no scripts or graphical replacements
-Upgrading video drivers
-Downgrading video drivers
-Downloading latest DirectX updates

None of the above have worked. Here are my system specs:

-Intel Q6600 Quad Core CPU OC'ed @ 3.0ghz
-8GB DDR2 System RAM
-ATI Radeon 4870X2 Video Card
-Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

This is the biggest issue I've ever come across, because it's so peculiar and I cannot (for the life of me) figure out how to fix it. I'm willing to paypal $50 to anyone who can give me a working solution.

Comments

• I wonder if it's actually just your video card. For some reason, Tribes 2 has always been a bitch about the Radeon series.
  • I love what you have running, the gui. Can you send me a download for it? And anything else that you think is cool to use?
  • I'm positive it's my video card too, but I want to figure out a way to fix it. I also want to know why it started doing this a week ago and why it's worked perfectly fine since before then? I've had this video card since last fall.
  • I love what you have running, the gui. Can you send me a download for it? And anything else that you think is cool to use?

Tell you what Maurice, you fix my problem I'll send you all of my scripts AND $50.
  • edited February 2009
    Strange, it just started doing it out of no where?

Have you tried turning off all your scripts? Changing the FOV back to normal? Have these questions already been answered in the other thread?

edit:

Also, I don't care about the money. If I end up figuring it out (doubtful), just keep it. Or give it to a charity. I don't care.
  • Strange, it just started doing it out of no where?

Have you tried turning off all your scripts? Changing the FOV back to normal? Have these questions already been answered in the other thread?

edit:

Also, I don't care about the money. If I end up figuring it out (doubtful), just keep it. Or give it to a charity. I don't care.

yes, I've tried playing with absolutely no scripts or anything and the problem still occurred.
  • I noticed I got "flickering" on my Tribes 2, also, although it went away after a few seconds. I also have an ATI Radeon card, so, it must be the video card.
  • Start Tribes, alt tab out, go to task manager, right click on the EXE, processor affinity, set it to single core. Intel processors thread games through all 4 cores and that can cause some funky shazbot.

Set your screen rez to 32 bit in windows and in-game.

Uninstall DirectX 10 and install 9.0C. This gets rid of some of the Vista DRM known for doing bad things to software applications.

Uninstall Windows Media Player manually; that'll also get rid of some of the windows DRM.
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/02/23/how-to-disable-uninstall-and-remove-windows-media-center-in-vista/

Honestly, though, just ditch vista. That'll take care of the problem. XP X64 bit runs everything you'd ever want and is awesome.

Another trick is to
  • I run on a 4870 myself (though not an X2, and on XP), which runs the game flawlessly. The only time its had any issue with the game was with adaptive AA enabled, and even then it was just a few artifacts in the GUI.
    Other than what's already been mentioned though, I can't think of anything at the moment that might cause that.
  • Are you running in full screen mode? I have a Radeon and I've noticed weird graphics glitches when running full screen, nothing like you're seeing however. Switched to running in windowed mode the other day and it seems to have resolved the issues for me.

Not really a fix, but perhaps a viable workaround.

hth

mystic_1
  • Got a big update for you guys, it seems that the sensor (located on the compass in the default GUI) may be what's causing the problem for me. That can be the only explanation, as I've ruled out many others. It would also explain why it occurs *only* in CTF, and not in arena. Also, it may explain why my GUI never flickers while in third person because the sensor doesn't affect you in third person (kind of like how you can't see beacons, waypoints, etc). I could be wrong, but I'm asking any of you that have any coding experience to please take a look at the files located in the scripts\autoexec folder of Monkey's GUI, you can find it below:

http://www.tribaloutpost.com/download/style/monkey-039-s-gooey

Also, this does indeed occur with no scripts going, however, it *only* has an effect on the actual Compass cluster HUD, and maybe one or two of the weapon HUDs that shows which weapon you have selected and how much ammunition you have left. I'm hoping one of you guys with more coding experience can somehow find a way for me to disable the sensor entirely in CTF. I just want to be able to play, and it seems like I'm out of options. If any of you know of any way that it's possible to completely eliminate the sensor indicator then let me know, there's 50 dollars in it for ya.
  • I can't imagine why that would cause everything else to be redrawn, but you can just redefine SensorHud::update somewhere that loads later (something like scripts/autoexec/zsfds.cs would suffice if you don't care). Just putting in a line like this should stop it fine:
    function SensorHud::update(%this) {}

Or you could go into the original function (in hud.cs) or the packaged one (in freeHuds.cs) and add "return;" before it runs anything... but it's probably simpler just to put in the line I mentioned if you don't know how to mess with the scripts. :p
  • Problem has been fixed. What was causing the flickering were beacons/waypoints in CTF. When they were not in my immediate view, my GUI would flicker nonstop. I've toggled them all off and the problem is gone.
  • You just won yourself $50 buddy.
  • Problem has been fixed. What was causing the flickering were beacons/waypoints in CTF. When they were not in my immediate view, my GUI would flicker nonstop. I've toggled them all off and the problem is gone.

so now you play with no beacons/waypoints on your game at all?

so now you play with no beacons/waypoints on your game at all?

Mission waypoints and other things are fine the only thing that causes the problem are actual beacons. Remote inventory beacons are fine. But because the toggle beacons counts for both deployables and actual beacons I have to toggle it on if I want to find a remote inventory to use. It sucks but it's better than not being able to play.

P.S. you a q-t batootie.
  • uninstall cheats
  • uninstall cheats

Honestly, I don't even think I'd be able to play with happymod2 with this graphical anomalie occurring. Every player would be waypointed, and it would cause the same GUI flickering.
  • Just a tought, your overclock could be wrecking your graphics card. Have you tried with out the overclock if its doing the same thing?
  • Just a tought, your overclock could be wrecking your graphics card. Have you tried with out the overclock if its doing the same thing?

Seriously doubt that would be it. I'm not overclocking my GPU, just my CPU and this is one single circumstance that the graphics (the GUI) bugs out and flickers when beacons are set on the map. Something in me tells me that that's not the correct behavior for the problems that could occur from a bad overclock of the CPU, the consequences would be much more universal, and not nearly as circumstantial.
  • believe it or not, UFO might have something, even though your only OCn your CPU, it still affects video. remember, the CPU is basically the controller for everything else, which includes the video data throughput.
  • believe it or not, UFO might have something, even though your only OCn your CPU, it still affects video. remember, the CPU is basically the controller for everything else, which includes the video data throughput.

My instincts tell me that he's without a doubt wrong. I can't explain to you why, I just have a compilation of responses a computer makes to anything I may or may not do to it, and having only beacons in a particular game make my GUI flicker when I'm not looking at it doesn't sound like consequence of an overclocked CPU.
  • He may not be making sense, but if you haven't completely narrowed the problem down to your video card, try popping a different one in. Or using onboard to see if the problem persists. If it does, then I'm inclined to think it's not your GPU, but rather your os.
  • I would have to agree. Having hands on experience and no dagree in the subject puts me, as well as many other people, in the positions to tell you from experience. I dont believe it would be anything to do witht he video card, but its not out of the question, and does (in some of my experiences) have some merit.

Also.....I THINK I remember having this problem a while back. Not for too long as I am anal compulsive about stuff like that and just deleted everything in my file. Are you sure it does not do it when there are no scripts running? If not try some Omega drivers from here: http://www.guru3d.com/

I'm running a AGP 7900 and bumped some of my fps up by the 100's in some 3Dmark tests. They went down further in some but there are a few drivers for you to choose from. Depending on your preferences.
  • edited March 2009
    I would have to agree. Having hands on experience and no dagree in the subject puts me, as well as many other people, in the positions to tell you from experience. I dont believe it would be anything to do witht he video card, but its not out of the question, and does (in some of my experiences) have some merit.

Also.....I THINK I remember having this problem a while back. Not for too long as I am anal compulsive about stuff like that and just deleted everything in my file. Are you sure it does not do it when there are no scripts running? If not try some Omega drivers from here: http://www.guru3d.com/

I'm running a AGP 7900 and bumped some of my fps up by the 100's in some 3Dmark tests. They went down further in some but there are a few drivers for you to choose from. Depending on your preferences.

It does it when no scripts are running. It doesn't do it when I use the default button to turn off being able to see beacons. If my GUI is flickering, and I press the button to turn off beacons it stops immediately and never resurfaces. I think it's an issue with my driver, something that I cannot change by downgrading. I'd have to completely wipe my current driver, run in safe mode, and downgrade to a previous driver that I know worked (back in December). But, I'm far too lazy. I'm sure they'll come out with a new driver that'll fix it, and if not, then I'll simply keep beacons turned off. I don't think I'll miss them.

Edit: They don't make Omega drivers for my video card. I'm not running an AGP card, I'm running a PCI-E card that's still the best card on the market provided by ATI. The official company is barely able to release drivers that can tame the card, I doubt old drivers for AGP ATI's would even work.
  • old drivers for AGP will most definately NOT work :)

I also remember having this problem several times in the past, with various games. almost every time if I downclocked my CPU, even roughly 100mhrz, the problem ceased.
    it can also be something getting too hot, so check to make sure you have decent airflow.

but I think the fact that it is very specific with your waypoints, and only your waypoints, makes me think there is something else going on. I would, honestly, completely uninstall the game, make sure you clean the registry with a good reg cleaner (also making sure you create a backup of the reg just in case something you need gets removed) reboot a couple of times, then reinstall the game. cleaning the registry is key here as it will remove all paths the game utilized.
    once the game is reinstalled, before doing anything else, check your graphics and see if the problem persists. if it does, then it is almost definately your graphics card. if it is gone, then start making small changes to the graphic settings (1 at a time) checking the gameplay every time. when the problem comes back, you have found the culprit. if the problem doesnt come back, then start adding in your scripts, again, checking each time your graphics, and again, once it comes back, you have found which script is causing the problem.
  • his problem is his overclock... if you dont believe me run memtest and watch in awe how your stable overclock is shit.

end of thread.
  • his problem is his overclock... if you dont believe me run memtest and watch in awe how your stable overclock is shit.

end of thread.

I've down clocked my CPU to the factory defaults, the problem still persists.

end of thread.

I've down clocked my CPU to the factory defaults, the problem still persists.

Did you watch in awe? cuz I think that would have fixed the problem man...
  • congradulations. you've ruined your graphics card with your overclock.