Sierra Approve?

I was just wondering, do Sierra approve of Tribes Next? I mean, we are playing a game they made and we aren't even using their master server... or are we? It's like we have sort of hijacked the game off them in a way. I dunno I just can't see Sierra sitting in their offices thinking "Hm, this Tribes Next is a great idea, let's leave it!"

That is all :)

Comments

• Sierra abandoned the game with their last patch years ago and shut down the T2 master servers back in Dec 2008. Tribes Next has picked up where Sierra left off.
  • If they didn't, we'd have heard about it by now.
  • 1- game is free
    2- they dropped the support for it leaving the community high and dry
    3- they didnt make jack, they cashed in and bailed out when they killed the franchise
  • I'm gonna email the guys at gg and see what they think about this stuff. If I get a reply I will pass it along.
  • I'm sure their reply would be something along the lines of "So you like Tribes 2? You should try out Fallen Empire: Legions, over at Instant Action!" :P
  • Just enjoy it guys. Thyth got a lawyer to view this and approved it.
  • ugh legions.
  • I'm gonna email the guys at gg and see what they think about this stuff. If I get a reply I will pass it along.

What does GG have to do with any of this?
  • gg is made up of the people from dynamix not the people from sierra.It was the great minds at sierra and I do say that in jest now that let the people at dynamix go so I dont think in this case it would help any.This now is the standard in alot of companies such as EA games who buyout or takeover smaller companies use there people to make or put out a product then let them go.
  • gg is made up of the people from dynamix not the people from sierra.

Can you name any of the Tribes guys that are at GG?
  • Fronymeyer was there

Anyway, the way tribes is played really isn't the vision Dynamix had in mind when they made the game. Everything they did good was an accident. When they tried to build on the success of T1 they made an abomination.
  • Mark F isn't the only Dynamix guy at gg.
  • edited March 2009
    Can anyone name any of the Dynamix guys that are at GG?

I don't think there are any there. (except Mark F.)

I just remember most of them leaving.
  • People like to say that there are Dynamix guys at GG, but it's pretty much false at this point. There used to be, but not so much anymore. People also like to say that Legions was made by former Dynamix people, which was never true. For a large part of Legions' development, only one person was working on it, and he wasn't from Dynamix. I'd be surprised if any of the ex-Dynamix guys actually worked on Legions at all.
  • can you name all of the guys at Dynamix that worked on the tribes series if you can let me know.But here is some intresting reading along these lines.
    http://www.mobygames.com/company/dynamix-inc
    here are a few more.http://www.garagegames.com/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamix

It makes some good reading.
  • jeff tunnel used to work at gg, I don't know if he still does.
  • The point is that it is stupid to email GG because they have no connection with TN.

How is it possible to not understand? Do you really want me to go read .plan's on that broken website? ugh.
  • I was just wondering, do Sierra approve of Tribes Next? I mean, we are playing a game they made and we aren't even using their master server... or are we? It's like we have sort of hijacked the game off them in a way. I dunno I just can't see Sierra sitting in their offices thinking "Hm, this Tribes Next is a great idea, let's leave it!"

That is all :)
    That was what this post was about to start with my response was to him and to blackhart and if you read correctly I also thought it would do use no good to contact those people. I posted those links for people who might be intrested in some of the history of dynamix and gg.You are the one that wanted to know any of the names of people from dynamix that worked there.Thought maybe this might help you or someone else to find some answers or just get some info.I cant help it if your not willing to actually read something lol.

• Anyway, the way tribes is played really isn't the vision Dynamix had in mind when they made the game. Everything they did good was an accident. When they tried to build on the success of T1 they made an abomination.

I would love to read a "History of Tribes2" or a "Behind the scenes making of T2" but i have not found aanything like that yet. :-[
  • Was on tv, think techtv, that showed some tribes 3 art and whatnot.
  • Man I miss Ken and Roberta Williams. I still have the old Sierra catalog with them in the back of it looking like hippies.
  • screw Sierra, as someone else pointed out, they dropped support for Tribes, they fired the Tribes developers, screwed over the community by shutting down the master servers, etc etc etc...
  • That doesn't mean it isn't still theirs.

However, because they released the full client, and this patch does not actually modify their code, it's in the legal white. But just because they stopped supporting it does not mean they relinquished it entirely to the people.
  • I agree it's still their intellectual property, but I stick to my prior statement :-)

btw, I thought this patch modifies their .exe, so how is that not considered a modification of their code? and future versions will be turning old features back on

I'm not trying to pick an argument, btw, I'm legitimately curious and would like to be corrected if I'm wrong ;D

Cheers
  • Should probably sticky that post to avoid these kinds of questions popping up
  • I was just wondering, do Sierra approve of Tribes Next?

I hate to break it to you guys, but sierra entertainment doesn't exist

the tribes franchise is paperwork in a filing cabinet in some activision blizzard storage room.

you ever see raiders of the lost ark? the end of the movie is what happened to tribes. tribes sucked the life out of everyone around it, and then the survivors hid it in storage until anyone who knew about it died of old age
  • The sucking the life out part is right, all right. Sit down for a session then look at the clock a couple rounds later and realize it's 1:30 in the morning...

• Awesome, thanks for that link, cleared it up for me :-)