Suggest me a new gaming mouse v. old microsoft optical sucks

I really started taking notice to the fact last night when attempting to snipe on defense that I could not track my targets very well with my 6 year old standard microsoft optical mouse. Also, is a mouse pad equally important or will any old mouse pad do? if i need a special one, suggest that also if you would not mind.

I need suggestions on a quality mouse that will not completely break the bank.. (unless it absolutely has to) and a mouse pad.

what do you guys use or recommend and what position do you specialize in (not that the specialize part matters, just curious)?

Comments

• I use a Logitech MX 518.
  • reviews look great on that mouse. the price is pure sex as well. I hope bestbuy sells it because I want that fucking mouse TODAY.

any other suggestions to compare to this mouse?
  • I've used a Razer Diamondback 3G for almost a year now. Four extra buttons (best two are on thumb, the other two are a little awkward). It's apparently designed to be controlled more with your fingertips than the whole hand, which is pretty good for twitch aiming. For sniping, the sensitivity can be adjusted on the fly, anywhere from super fast to crawling slow.

Amazon lists it at about $45, and I've heard great things about the other Razer mice too.
  • i've been using a razer deathadder, the mouse wheel is alright but the mouse itself is quite good. I can adjust the mouse sensitivity to what i want using the software included (1000 dpi and 3/10 if i remember correctly)
  • my brother has a razer and it seemed hyper sensitive to me. I am also very ignorant when it comes to gaming mouses and adjusting out of game sensitivity though...
  • edited March 2009
    its not hard theres 3 dpi settings, dpi = dots per inch, meaning more precise aiming.. then you have a slider with 0-10, 10 being very touchy and zero being dead sensitivity. just test everything
    razer_deathadder_09_thumb.jpg

*these are not my settings, also on the far left i just kept everything average, like 5-5 thats in the extra advanced setting then i used like 1000 polling rate and 900 or 1800 dpi and 3 or 4 sensitivity
  • what type of mouse pad should i use with ti
  • edited March 2009
    i got an allsop cloth mouse pad like 5 bucks
  • I have the Razer eXactMat pad. It's pretty big, double sided (one side bumpy for "control", the other side smooth for "speed", there is actually some difference), sturdy metal. Amazon had a bundle where I got the mouse and pad for about $75. Dunno if they're still doing it.

As for sensitivity, the Diamondback 3G I have is 1800dpi, and I almost always have it set at 8/10, even outside of gaming.
  • if amazon doesnt have a good price/ bundle, what is a trusted online site to buy from?

razor d-back
  • I use the mouse of champions! ;)

L23-6194.gif

L23-6194.gif
    I was thinking about that mouse this morning, and how hard it would be to play Tribes 2 with that thing...
  • I use a Melody basic optical mouse.

Advantage: smaller size and lower weight compared to the Microsoft optical.

Instead of laying your hand flat on the mouse, only your fingertips make contact with the mouse with your wrist resting on the mousepad. The wrist that acts as a pivot point gives you a quarter circle range to move from left to right, plus the flexibility and control you get from rolling your fingertips or extending them.
  • Mine's built for that too, I actually find there's a good bit of control to be had by just using your fingertips.

L23-6194.gif
    I was thinking about that mouse this morning, and how hard it would be to play Tribes 2 with that thing...

I never had a problem with it, but once you get used to it it's hard to play with out it! :D
  • I dunno. I find that mouse more useful at school when I have just enough space for the laptop and not enough space for mouse moving (and I don't feel like using the touchpad).
  • i've got a logitec mx518. it's a really comfy mouse. my gaming improved when i got it 3 years ago and i haven't wanted to upgrade.
    if you think you need a new mouse just get one that's comfortable for YOU. i've used other newer and slightly fancier mouses(mice?) but none compare to my logitec for ME.