Best way to drive up Tribes awareness and bring back players?

I love tribes, but the lack of filled servers for the past... 5 years? lol, has been what has kept me away. I'm sure that issue exists for others as well.

Any thoughts on the best ways to build up awareness of Tribes again, and bring players back to the fold?

To help to this end, I have a solid webserver that I use for several websites of my own. I have plenty of unused hdd space, bandwidth, and processing power, so if anyone truly wants to put effort into reviving tribes but just lacks hosting, I can help in that way.

BTW, awesome job to the devs behind the "Next" patch for Tribes. If you guys were to actually continue your development to further improve Tribes (not just for server authentication, etc), that would really be interesting :-)

Comments

• On every forum your a part of, set your sig as a link to here and/or T2 free game DL.

Ill be back with new visionary ideas later.
  • that's a good idea, any others? :-)

I think something that would be helpful, is to create an article on Digg and/or Slashdot about TribesNext and the free game. Then make a concerted effort to have EVERYONE in this community "digg" the article, leave comments, etc...

That would pick up some attention 8)
  • It has been posted in alot of places we actually sent out a mass email telling all are old and new website members about tribesnext.Maybe if we had some type of big event we could promote might help.
  • I think one of the best ways to bring back players and even attract new ones, is to fix TRIBES's integrity problems. How to best do that I'm not sure.

And if you reply something to the affect of "what integrity promblem". Fine then, I ask you how many screen names do you use for Tribes forums and playing? and more importantly why!

More to be added: (Just for a start)
  • Um yes, what integrity problem? I am Shizuka here and am Shizuka in game. In fact, there's a high probability that if you come across "Shizuka Kamishima", that's me.

Not really seeing your argument here.
  • A tournament of some sort might attract a few more old school players who haven't made up their minds yet. As I recall, someone was planning one of those. What happened?
  • edited March 2009
    Um yes, what integrity problem? I am Shizuka here and am Shizuka in game. In fact, there's a high probability that if you come across "Shizuka Kamishima", that's me.

Not really seeing your argument here.

Firstly, I guess what I replied in this thread is not directed towards you then.

Secondly, I see that you must play a mod or a server that I dont play. I been playing almost, if not everyday now for about a month and have yet to notice your name on the scoreboard for any of them. However, I have noticed that you have much to say in the fourm.

Lastly, maybe It's not an integerty problem for some but rather an iq problem.
    Perhaps folks see what some folks do and choose not to play with them or at all. (get it?!)
  • A tournament of some sort might attract a few more old school players who haven't made up their minds yet. As I recall, someone was planning one of those. What happened?

Several tournaments have been proposed since the release of Tribes Next. I believe the tournament you are referring to was the Goon Haven tournament that thebeaz was(or is) organizing.
  • re: integrity

I hadn't thought of that, but that's actually a good point. It would be handy to have some way of uniquely identifying users, i.e. - SteamID, which can then be used to trace any names that player has played under.

The practice of playing under multiple names is called smurfing, and while it might not be a big problem yet (due to hardly any players right now, lol), it has potential to *be* a big problem.

1. Does Tribes in fact have anything similar to a "SteamID" that tracks each player regardless of their "name"? I highly doubt it, which means we need some type of central authentication mechanism to track accounts, connect accounts to IPs, names, etc.

2. Question 1 then leads into the possibility of a quality Stats tracking system, similar to HLStats and the like that exist for Half-life based games. A good stats system would be helpful with building awareness, and would at least draw in the players that like to compete to show their skill :-)

3. What about cheating? Does cheating occur (are there glitches)? If so, what can be done to curb that, as it's a given that more players will bring cheaters back in

Just a few thoughts to mull over

BTW, back on topic, for Tribes awareness, each of us could burn copies of Tribes (hell, even pull out some label makers and label the CDs), and distribute the games locally. Go to colleges, or those dedicated lan party businesses that exist, etc, just start leaving the cds around.

Dunno about the legality involved in that, but apparently it's not illegal to redistribute the game (as everyone *is*, since it's free), so the only issue might come into any use of original art on printed material, in which case we'd just need some fresh artist renditions or just prettied-up screenshots.

Anyone think that's a good idea? If so, interested in pursuing it? (I've had bad luck lately with getting anyone to followup on ideas, discussions, etc, seems to be a bit of an epidemic the past 6 months... lol)
  • Here's a thought: How about getting Tribes somehow listed on Steam?
    I wonder if there's any way that could be worked out... I know it's a long shot, and would most likely require involvement from Sierra (which might be best to just leave them alone), but that would be awesome though...

Really, I don't see why Valve/Steam couldn't do it, since the game is already free to distribute, so I wonder what they'd need from Sierra (if anything) to make it available.
    That's assuming they'd even be willing, since there's no $$ to be made (that I'm aware of).
  • Steam sounds like a good idea, but I'm sure Sierra would do their best to make it more trouble than it's worth.
  • All good ideas !
    but in oder for Tribesnext to survive you need new blood, treat them with respect, show them what you can and your player base will thrive imo
  • Somebody with the legal where withall should see about getting it hosted on steam....

hosted on steam is almost like instant success...

hell if steam took it over I wouldnt mind paying $10-25 dollars for their steam authentication system etc.
  • Somebody with the legal where withall should see about getting it hosted on steam....

hosted on steam is almost like instant success...

hell if steam took it over I wouldnt mind paying $10-25 dollars for their steam authentication system etc.

There's nothing wrong with the authentication system we have in place now. We have a extremely qualified team that is capable of accomplishing anything the community desires. Why fix it if it isn't broken?
  • I did not mean to offend. I was just saying steam would be the quickest and easiest way to gain 1000s of players, very quickly.
  • i already linked my sig to here on every forum i go to. its brought some new blood already, 4 new players that i KNOW of. whatever we're doin, its workin cuz i aint never seen this many new ppl in all my years. im constantly helping new ppl figure out jets and weapons and such. noobs are a necessity and a blessing ppl. Help them when you can. hopefully one day they'll get good enough to kick your ass.
  • Wow, releasing Tribes 2 on Steam would be amazing. Imagine the thousands of newbloods this would attract :D
  • Wow, releasing Tribes 2 on Steam would be amazing. Imagine the thousands of newbloods this would attract :D

this.
  • There are supposedly many thousands of accounts in TN already. Why aren't they playing?

Because too few of us are following Kelly's good advice:
    All good ideas !
    but in oder for Tribesnext to survive you need new blood, treat them with respect, show them what you can and your player base will thrive imo
  • lotta folks got multiples. Quicksilver for example. saw him use 6 last night alone.
  • lotta folks got multiples. Quicksilver for example. saw him use 6 last night alone.

Exactly, that's why we need "integrity" to reduce the multiple accts to just one per person
  • All the community and prospecting suggestions are good, especially regarding the treatment of NewBlood -- new players are gold, encourage everyone to treat them as as such, as every new Fan is a source of yet other new and prospective Fans so the characterization of the Tribes Next community you project plays a big part in what they will carry with them as either a positive incentive or disincentive to both replay and interest their friends in this game.

As a fellow Developer I can say that grass roots word-of-mouth and 'viral marketing' while very powerful -- do require capable and motivated individuals behind them providing a sustained effort and support through thick and thin. But there's little to compare to the immediate boost of playership strong and positive attention the commercial print and web 'Press' can provide; and nothing plays as well with the press as 'New Candy'.

To really spin things up to the original potential Tribes 2 offered that was in the opinion of many badly squandered; Tribes Next needs some motivated 'Marketing Weenies' that will put forth a sustained positive effort and 'New Candy'. Some very promising work already appears to be in the mill, but nothing gets attention better then the 'Eye Candy' variety -- and higher resolution and more detailed texture project would really make Tribes Next shine in this regard.

We all know the game feature content and game play shines, making that more obvious and appealing is a challenge that requires considerable effort and contribution.

:-\
  • An upgraded appearance would be awesome, but also an effort to improve performance is key (as Tribes 2 has never been a very optimized game, as far as I can tell).

Any thoughts on if that's possible?
  • edited March 2009
    An upgraded appearance would be awesome, but also an effort to improve performance is key (as Tribes 2 has never been a very optimized game, as far as I can tell).

Any thoughts on if that's possible?

Well this is taking things rather off topic, but the version of the Dynamix/Torque engine T2 is running on is a very efficient LSE engine in virtually every regard from netcode, CPU, and GPU utilization for the scale, asset, and scene complexity rendered. It's also highly configurable and scales well across an enormous range of very old hardware.

That one can reach quadruple digit frame rates on current gen hardware, and easily sustain triple digit rates on hardware three generations old with all the game's settings maxed makes me wonder what your performance concerns are, or what kind of hardware platform you require T2 to run on that is performing poorly...

:-\
  • Well if anyone can model/texture, then upgrading all of the games DTS files with better models that use higher-res textures would be the easiest place to start (I think). Or, you could start with just the textures, but T2's 512x512 max texture resolution combined with how much the game enlarges them will prevent anything useful from being done there. The first step in fixing that would be upping the max texture resolution to something like 2048x2048. Maybe higher for terrain textures, since the game enlarges those A LOT. If someone could figure out how to increase the max texture resolution, then I'd be willing to work on making some large textures.
  • ...I think something that would be helpful, is to create an article on Digg and/or Slashdot about TribesNext and the free game. Then make a concerted effort to have EVERYONE in this community "digg" the article, leave comments, etc...

That would pick up some attention 8)

I like this idea, I feel like it would be one of the easiest ways to attract a decent amount of attention.. I just heard about this site/project yesterday from an offhanded mention on the Guru3D forums.
  • "Shizuka Kamishima"
    huh? Are you Japanese?
  • edited March 2009
    Here's a thought: How about getting Tribes somehow listed on Steam?
    I wonder if there's any way that could be worked out... I know it's a long shot, and would most likely require involvement from Sierra (which might be best to just leave them alone), but that would be awesome though...

Really, I don't see why Valve/Steam couldn't do it, since the game is already free to distribute, so I wonder what they'd need from Sierra (if anything) to make it available.
    That's assuming they'd even be willing, since there's no $$ to be made (that I'm aware of).

uhh yeah, lets talk to sierra who sold the game to another company because they didn't want it to begin with and ask them 'Hey! Why don't you list a game that you guys sold out on and hated so much you wanted to get out from under it on the master game list you guys use to release your proprietary games just so we can have more players in here who bitch and whine about game integrity!"

Umm NO WAY. Digg idea is the best one i've seen on top of using your other forum's sigs to promote tribesnext.com. Do that and screw Sierra. Oh yeah, did I mention seirra shut down the master game server list on us too...? I didn't? Oh ok...now I did...

GokouZWAR
  • At the time of that post, I was unaware that Sierra had sold the IP rights to Tribes 2.

I'll bet GarageGames would be interested in getting it on Steam tho
  • lol I am with you! although sierra is just part of the monster that is activision now I think.