'The server address has not yet been retrieved'

Ok, so I install and patch T2 with the downloads provided on this site, and attempt to make a new account after trying to retrieve my old one. After waiting around 20 seconds on step one it says
'The server address has not yet been retrieved

Close this page and try again in a moment'.

I've tried multiple times now. Yes, the server is up. I closed down my firewall (COMODO), and I'm running no antivirus software. I don't have a router which blocks ports. I've checked other similar threads but they haven't solved the problem.

I'm on Windows XP 32 if that's any help. Using a single core, 64 bit processor (AMD Sempron 3000+)

I also already tried re-installing T2 with my disc, but I couldn't update it seeing as the Sierra servers are down. I used the installer on this website

Comments

• i get this too, some help pls?
  • As I said, I closed my firewall after the first attempt failed. I have no anti-virus software running. I have a single core processor. The Auth server is up.
    I'm going to try reinstalling just in case that solves it.
  • Every person who has ever had problems with communicating with the account server has fallen under one of the points covered in the FAQ.

However, if you believe yourself to be special and different, feel free to join the IRC channel (listed and linked at the bottom of each page) for more interactive assistance.

For fun and giggles though, you can try visiting the following URL in your web browser: http://www.tribesnext.com/auth

If you see anything on that page (an IP address:port and a blob of random looking hex), but your game is unable to fetch the address, it's an HTTP filter running locally on your computer (i.e. antivirus or firewall).
  • It seems you'd be right in that case. However, it still doesn't connect after I have disabled all non-essential processes on my username including my firewall. I've also disabled the Hamachi network in Network Connections. There are a number of system processes still remaining, and I'm not too informed as to the purpose of each of them. Here's a screenshot of my Taskmanager:
    tskmgr.pngThe only processes you can't see in that screenshot are explorer.exe, notepad++.exe and firefox.exe  I use a program called SVNTortoise, used for SVN updates, and that process (TSVNCache.exe) keeps coming back a few minutes after disabling it. I don't believe it should be interfering though.
  • cmdagent.exe is a component of the Comodo Firewall.
  • cmdagent.exe is a component of the Comodo Firewall.
    I'm unable to end it, it says access is denied. I'm on this PC's administrator account. Uninstalling COMODO is the last thing I want to do because it's actually a good, free firewall.
  • Have you tried setting an exception for the program (Tribes2.exe) in your firewall settings? And if so, did you dive deeper to see if there's any mention of disabling HTTP filtering in there?
  • Well sodomize me on Christmas I'm an idiot! I just had to define T2 as a trusted application and it worked fine. Send all /facepalms to [email protected]