Starting the game twice

Thank ytou Thyth for everything! Now I direct your attention to this issue that may or may not be something you can address;

"Unfortunately, I have a serious problem with Tribes 2 right now. Like you know, one now has to start up Tribes 2 twice in order for it to work. When I try to do that, however, my Internet connection stops working and therefore, I cannot play. The only way to fix that is to restart Windows. That has happened twice to me already. Could you please tell Thyth about the start up problem, that one has to start up Tribes 2 twice nowadays? Could you also contact me when the problem has been fixed? I won't be trying to play anymore before I know that the problem has been fixed."

As detailed above, some of us are having to start T2 twice in order for the game to launch, however so far my net connection hasn't been effected by t2. I have a suspicion this is due to a recent windows patch that may target apps like the tribesnext workaround but am not certain. Any input appreciated!

Comments

• edited June 2019
    I can confirm that recently I also had to start Tribes 2 twice in order for it to run (windows 7 here), and when it did open it started consuming cpu like crazy. I don't think this has to do with new windows updates, as it happened more than a year ago too but somehow fixed itself. Also, it happened in other games sometimes. It has something to do with rundll. That's the thing consuming a ton of CPU that I have manually end after I exit tribes. Anyway, this happened to me recently, but also in the past.
  • Why are you starting the game twice? What happens the first time? Would you happen to have a log, dump, error address, or some way to reproduce the issue?

The game never attempts to alter anything that would affect your system-wide connectivity, and wouldn't have access to do so anyways on a modern system -- unless you're for some reason running the game as admin. A malicious script could in theory tie up the network to reach the same effect, but not in a way that will persist after the game is closed... would need to see it happen or at least get more details to get a better idea of what happened there if it's not simply a fluke or some issue with their NIC.

High CPU on rundll would be entirely Windows related and not something triggered by the game; in the context of launching an older exe, it's probably in some way pertaining to their optional compatibility profiles or associated mechanisms. You can generally safely disable these features, and if the load persists you might want to look up the specific process it's running to get some idea of what it's doing.
  • High CPU on rundll would be entirely Windows related and not something triggered by the game; in the context of launching an older exe, it's probably in some way pertaining to their optional compatibility profiles or associated mechanisms. You can generally safely disable these features, and if the load persists you might want to look up the specific process it's running to get some idea of what it's doing.
    This is the only problem that I'm dealing with. Most likely something on my end, on Windows, as you say. If I find a solution I'll post it here.
  • getting the same problem. rundll32.exe is hogging 99% of cpu. have to start the game twice
  • A Windows component (or another service on your computer) is using rundll to execute some operation based on the configuration of your particular system; it is neither directly caused by nor requested by the game. Unless you can check specifically what service it's running, any recommendations on potential system settings to change would unfortunately be purely guesswork.
  • I thought applying Windows XP SP3 compatibility settings to Tribes2.exe worked, but apparently I still had problems with this and needed to launch the game twice. But I finally found a good fix. It involves renaming/deleting 'gameux.dll' from 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64'. Now, you can either do this manually or run the batch script I attached with administrator privileges. To run it rename the attached .txt file to .bat

That dll apparently has something to do with Windows trying to retrieve information about some games by using rundll32 (even using a lot of CPU to retrieve that information) but it can't so it launching the game twice will work because rundll32 is already running. This finally fixed it for me.