Game doesn't open

edited February 2009 in Support
I installed the game and the patch fine but when I try to open the game all I get is this:
tribesnext.jpg
It appears for a few seconds and nothing happens.

I'm on a Vista system and tried setting the compatibility but that didn't work either.

Comments

• edited February 2009
    yep, I had the same problem.
    I installed the game under "C:\Programme\Games\Tribes2" In reality however (oh yes, we all love you, Vista) it's "C:\Program Files\Games\Tribes2"
    Vista handles "Programme" (German) and "Program Files" (English) as the same directory and sometimes this causes problems ...

Press right click on the shortcut > properties and change the "destination" to
    "C:\Program Files\Wherever your Game is installed\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe"
    and "perform in" to
    "C:\Program Files\Wherever your Game is installed\Tribes2\GameData"

I had
    "C:\Programme\Games\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe" before, changed it to "Program Files" and [VGW], it works now :)
  • Much like Vista handles "Users" (user folders) and "Documents and Settings" (the XP convention) the same way. It's for compatibility among systems.

More than likely, one of the two (either "Programme" or "Program Files") is a reparse point for compatibility among languages.
  • If that doesn't work, check your processes for consent.exe

If the pop-up Allow/Disallow window didn't work correctly, you can sit there and try to start a perfectly installed game all day and nothing will happen because Vista is waiting on that process.

If it is there, and nothing is happening, kill it and try again.
  • yep, I had the same problem.
    I installed the game under "C:\Programme\Games\Tribes2" In reality however (oh yes, we all love you, Vista) it's "C:\Program Files\Games\Tribes2"
    Vista handles "Programme" (German) and "Program Files" (English) as the same directory and sometimes this causes problems ...

Press right click on the shortcut > properties and change the "destination" to
    "C:\Program Files\Wherever your Game is installed\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe"
    and "perform in" to
    "C:\Program Files\Wherever your Game is installed\Tribes2\GameData"

I had
    "C:\Programme\Games\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe" before, changed it to "Program Files" and [VGW], it works now :)
    Eureka, I'm in. Thank you very much.

On a side note, if you aren't using an admin session you'll have to set the file to "run as administrator"
  • I have exactly the same problem except for after a few seconds the computer says "its not a valid win32 program" and shuts it down
    I also run on vista and i tried the the tips already but dont get anywhere.
    plz help
  • I have exactly the same problem except for after a few seconds the computer says "its not a valid win32 program" and shuts it down
    I also run on vista and i tried the the tips already but dont get anywhere.
    plz help

Corrupted executable? Try to reinstall T2.
  • I'd suggest redownloading (torrent would be best), then reinstalling.
  • I have re-installed several times and also re-downloaded a several times, but i think i know why it dont work, i have a copy of the game and ofcourse its the oldest version so now im downloading the latest game patch and try again ::)
    Thanks for taking your time guys!
  • That made the trick, the game works fine except for my slow computer and connection ofcourse ;D
  • I can't get tribes2 to work on vista and i am running a duel boot and if tribes2 works on xp then the game should work on vista and then it says that it has a UE at adderess:0c0000 and i tried to reinstall and still it won't work and it works fin on my fathers vista pc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ppl are still trying to help when he already solved it :S
  • No, people are posting new problems.
  • I'm also haveing problems launching the game. at 1st i made an attempt to install from my "recently found" cd with no success then i downloaded the fileplanet version over torrent and patched. system says its not a valid win32 app and shuts itself down. after reading this post ive tried everything listed with no luck.

I'm useing Vista home premium X64 on a Gateway P-6860 FX "havent modified the laptop so hardware specs are same as everyone lists em"

seriously hope an easy fix comes up. it's ben years since i played and hope to play at least once more before the game dies out completely.
    and i bought Vengeance when it was released. it blows.... killer of the series.
  • Did you uninstall between installation attempts?
    Did you use the torrent from the TribesNext download page (here)?
  • I have Vista 64 bit and installed it with no problems