goon haven tournament

from another thread:
Please just play to play. Goon Haven will be having a tournament soon, I happily welcome you to come and just PLAY THE GAME. Please, please, please stop trying to belittle others that are trying to REVIVE the Tribes community. Go argue about why UT3 failed or something. We're all playing the same game here.
details? i would love to show newbs how to play competition again :D

Comments

• from another thread:
    Please just play to play. Goon Haven will be having a tournament soon, I happily welcome you to come and just PLAY THE GAME. Please, please, please stop trying to belittle others that are trying to REVIVE the Tribes community. Go argue about why UT3 failed or something. We're all playing the same game here.
    details? i would love to show newbs how to play competition again :D

:O
  • Still working on the technical details, hold your horses :D

I'll make sure you don't miss the announcement. It'll be posted here and on SA.
  • Still working on the technical details, hold your horses :D

I'll make sure you don't miss the announcement. It'll be posted here and on SA.

Hey bro, be sure to announce this tournament in the competition/pickup section and on the calendar as well, thanks for the great server!
  • Have any small details? Like simply what kind of tournament is it? We assume that it's a classic CTF tournament, with teams being arranged independently before-hand and competing in either a elimination or round-robin tournament of some sort.

That is basically what I'm looking at. Small teams based since the player base is still so young. Maybe 6-8 people. Hopefully it'll allow many members of the community to get to know each other better which could possibly lead to a larger team tournament. The logistics of it, date/time, etc still needs to be worked out with my admins. Now that I have Evolution admin working properly, I can start focusing on new maps and tournament information.
  • I'd like to play but tbh I never got into the competition side of tribes. I'm a good player but I'd need instruction into the role of whatever it is i'd be doing.
  • I'd like to play but tbh I never got into the competition side of tribes. I'm a good player but I'd need instruction into the role of whatever it is i'd be doing.

You should come to a pickup one of these days. You will learn lots.
  • Will do.
  • Maybe this would convince some of the Arena bums to actually come out and play CTF and show off their stuff.

-Donler the Great
  • Maybe this would convince some of the Arena bums to actually come out and play CTF and show off their stuff.

-Donler the Great

Most play ONLY arena.
  • I dont and I am not a bum >:(

-Donler the Great

Most play ONLY arena.

Liar. I play arena just to ready myself for CTF. If I had to use the Goon server to warm up I'd be lobbing mortars at my feet and blowing myself up come match time. Kidding, kidding, but no--really, I would.
  • Learning how to play the game != learning how to perfect key skills. Goon Haven is ok for the former, not the latter. GH is the only server I play on and I don't blow myself up with mortars (well, most of the time anyway). I can't name a large pub in any online game that allows someone to perfect competitive-style skills. However, watch for an upcoming announcement regarding GH 32.

As for the actual topic, we (GH admins) should be announcing the who/what/when/where/how of the first tournament this week. Stay tuned.
  • Learning how to play the game != learning how to perfect key skills. Goon Haven is ok for the former, not the latter. GH is the only server I play on and I don't blow myself up with mortars (well, most of the time anyway). I can't name a large pub in any online game that allows someone to perfect competitive-style skills. However, watch for an upcoming announcement regarding GH 32.

As for the actual topic, we (GH admins) should be announcing the who/what/when/where/how of the first tournament this week. Stay tuned.

Beaz, I was merely joking. There's just an abundance of new players that I see running around with weird loadouts not knowing what they're doing (for example, heavy + ammunition pack).

Honestly, before I thought that the people playing like that had to be stupid in real-life for not understanding, what I consider to be, basic knowledge in Tribes2 (such as using an energy/shield/sj pack when going juggernaut, so you can efficiently avoid dying, thus maximizing the amount of rape you can dish out) but I recently told my real-life friend, Jim (played Tribes with me back in 2001-2002) about the revival of Tribes and he's been playing in the goon server lately. The other day I saw him on circle of stones, guarding the middle with assault armor and ammunition pack, I had no idea it was him until I moused over and saw his name. My point is, he's a smart guy in real-life, I know this....goes to Virginia Tech and has plenty of friends, he doesn't play much, but he enjoys it.
  • You know that the default loadouts contain a heavy with an ammo pack right? That's probably why you see it so much. ;D
  • You know that the default loadouts contain a heavy with an ammo pack right? That's probably why you see it so much. ;D

He's too busy calling people noobs and chain whores to concern himself with such things.
  • Anarchy, your Naziness about T2 starts to annoy me. It might not be a bad idea at all to carry an Ammunition pack as a juggernaut, for example when playing as a tailgunner and you know the sensors being down and no shrike up in the air - or when you're camping the stone circle on that specific map and all that comes in are un-experienced lights.
    Don't get this posting wrong, especially not as a late side-blow to your ciritical comment in the Arena-thread. (I don't agree with you anyway.) Your ideas are just based on your experience from years ago when there were servers running with different bandwidth, capacity, rules and players. Many teams mostly played tournaments anyway.
    So why the fuck do you dare to measure everything with standards back then? Better play and see how things turn out these days - and hey, I get lanced more often than chewed up by a chaingun - even in light, I see bombers shot down by shrikes (Repair pack ftw?) and I see you sucking on GoonHaven.
  • Anarchy, your Naziness about T2 starts to annoy me. It might not be a bad idea at all to carry an Ammunition pack as a juggernaut, for example when playing as a tailgunner and you know the sensors being down and no shrike up in the air - or when you're camping the stone circle on that specific map and all that comes in are un-experienced lights.
    Don't get this posting wrong, especially not as a late side-blow to your ciritical comment in the Arena-thread. (I don't agree with you anyway.) Your ideas are just based on your experience from years ago when there were servers running with different bandwidth, capacity, rules and players. Many teams mostly played tournaments anyway.
    So why the fuck do you dare to measure everything with standards back then? Better play and see how things turn out these days - and hey, I get lanced more often than chewed up by a chaingun - even in light, I see bombers shot down by shrikes (Repair pack ftw?) and I see you sucking on GoonHaven.
    ugh, don't be a newbie
    there's almost no situation where you'd want an ammo pack as a HO, just like there's only a very few situations where you'd want a shocklance over any other weapon
  • edited February 2009
    Oh yeah? Ask Mistcane. I guess he thinks differently. Nothing can get past his shocklance.
  • Oh yeah? Ask Mistcane. I guess he thinks differently. Nothing can get past his shocklance.
    either you're incredibly stupid, or you are mistcane
    because lol
  • I get past mistcane's shocklance all the time. It's actually not that hard when you aren't a newbie.
  • ...... there's only a very few situations where you'd want a shocklance over any other weapon

Try playing as LD or Defensive MF :D
  • ...... there's only a very few situations where you'd want a shocklance over any other weapon

Try playing as LD or Defensive MF :D
    yeah ok, i'll try playing ld once or twice and gain some experience before commenting on shocklancing
    :rolleyes:
  • Try playing as LD or Defensive MF :D

teehee
  • What? You didn't liked the " :D " in the end?
  • i can't understand sarcasm across the internets

You're a fantastic player that has even more fantastic potential. Your shots are a biproduct of God's will. You are my hero.

You're a fantastic player that has even more fantastic potential. Your shots are a biproduct of God's will. You are my hero.
    I sense a love connection !

I sense a love connection !

You have failed to sense the sarcasm as well blinkkilla :)