Online Play Help

So on January 5th (thanks via Kotaku), I downloaded the single player game and went through the tutorial missions (brought back many memories), and afterwards I decided to download the multiplayer patch. So, I downloaded and installed the multiplayer patch, and tried to connect online. Well, imagine my surprise when I find out that the game tries to connect to the World Opponent Network servers! These have been down for a very long time if my memory is accurate, so how exactly are you guys playing online? I tried to use the "original" exe that's included, but that requires a cd key which I obviously don't have. Any details? Am I missing something here?

Side Note: I tried to download and install this on a separate machine to double check this today, but seems as though the download servers are either down or swamped beyond recognition due to the link to Kotaku and other various gaming news sites, so I will have to get back to you on that.

Comments

• Update:

I was finally able to download and install everything on a separate machine. Instead, I installed the single player game, then multiplayer immediately, and THEN started the game, and the game went immediately into registration for online play. This did not occur when playing the single player first, and then installing the multiplayer components. Not sure if this has been noted before.