"Not a valid Win32 Application"

I'm on Vista 32bit and unable to load the game. Gives me an error message of not a valid Win32 application.

What gives?

I've tried XP SP2 compatibility.

Comments

• Have you tried reinstalling and reapplying the patch? I've heard a few people having trouble with vista, but I don't have anything running it to see if I can reproduce the error.
  • Installing the core game and multiplayer component back to back worked fine for me on Vista 32 without any extra work. Other than that, try to run the game/installer as administrator if you haven't already.
  • Also, other people have been getting the "not a valid Win32 application" message because they somehow ended up with an old version of the game.

http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=51.0

To tell if you have the same problem as the guy in this thread, go to C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData and hover over the Tribes2.exe file. If the file version is not 0.25034.0.0, this is most likely the cause of your error message. Go to http://downloadfile.editingarchive.com/view.php?ID=775 and use this version of the Tribes 2 installer to reinstall the game, then apply the TribesNext patch and you should be good to go.
  • I had the same problem when I tried installing it from my CD or downloading tribes2_gsi.exe through my browser. It worked fine when I downloaded it using the torrent, though.
  • Yes, when in doubt use the torrent... since the bittorrent protocol has built-in error checking.
  • I am running WinXP pro and cannot get the game to run. I get "not a valid Win32 application" message.

I have version 0.21570.0.0 of the *.exe

any ideas?
  • I am running WinXP pro and cannot get the game to run. I get "not a valid Win32 application" message.

any ideas?

Here's an idea. Read the entire thread here. There's a post that talks about file versions, which ones you should have, and what to do to get the correct one.

any ideas?
    Read the FAQ: http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=721.0
  • Hey...this is very helpful...I'm going to try downloading the online game and patch. I used to play this game religiously when it came out. Can't wait to get this going.
  • Ugh...so lame. When I download through torrent the version is the current version...then I apply the patch and it changes the game version to the outdated one. wtf?

CONAN
  • Something isn't patching correctly if you're still trying to run the game through SierraUpdate. Make sure you're downloading this patch and applying it directly after installing tribes2_gsi.exe.
  • Greetings fellow tribals!

I just wanted to share my experience reinstalling T2 on my new OS in hopes that anyone encountering trouble can benefit from this. I recently installed win7 on my comp and tried to get T2 working. I installed it multiple times and encountered the same UE every time. I tried several different things to get around this such as changing my screen resolution and running the program and install files as admin w/ win xp sp2 compatibility but none of this worked. I read the FAQ and put in my own clientprefs.cs file and tried a few of the suggestions there. I still got a UE before the game ever even loaded the splash screen. Then I went into my control panel and went into video and updated the video drivers for my vid chip (onboard). This was what made it work! So my advice is to first uninstall the game if you already have it installed just so you start with a fresh copy. Now update your video drivers and set your screen resolution to something nice and standard like 1024 x 768. Obtain the game and patch from tribesnext i.e. here. I will break this post into 2 sections , the rest will cover specific install instructions.
  • Ok. I'm back. So you have the latest drivers for your chip/card and a fresh copy of the game w/ the patch. Now you are ready to install. Before you run the install file tribes2gsi.exe, first right-click on it and click on properties. Click on compatibility tab and run it in compatibility mode for win xp service pack 2 and check the run as admininstrator box. Do this also to the patch file while you are there. Now run the install file. The key points to remember during the install are a)don't try to register the game or send in your email and more importantly b)don't click the box that says install directx 8.a. That version of directx is way outdated now and your computer will most likely already have a more current version on it. Right after you finish installing install the patch. You should have already changed the properties of the patch for admin/compatibility mode. Now that you have it installed you need to send the two shortcuts Tribes2 online and Tribes2 solo/LAN to your desktop. They can be found in the Tribes2 folder i.e. C:\Dynamix\Tribes2 for most of you. Either copy/paste these to your desktop or right-click and send to--> desktop to finish this part. Ok a couple more things and you'll be done. Next step is to edit the online shortcut as it will still point to the long defunct sierra updater. Simply right click on the shortcut and click on properties again. Change the target box to read as follows:
    C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\Tribes2.exe -online